Changes in Health, Post-retirement

aggie

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am curious as to what you all have experienced health-wise after FIRE. My job is both stressful and even worse, very frustrating(trying to get those over whom I have no authority to do things they do not want to- such is the world of ESH compliance). I surmise that leaving that world behind would at least drop those stressors and provide more time to workout, meditate or other spiritual pursuits, spend more time with friends, family, etc....which in turn would lead to greater mental and hopefully physical health.

So, I would appreciate the sharing of experiences concerning FIRE's impact on such health-related aspects as weight loss, blood pressure, getting off meds, changes in eating habits(more time to cook-fewer times bolting thru a fast food joint to down a burger while driving to that next meeting), working out, depression, etc. Thanks!

Re: Changes in Health, Post-retirment

aggie,

If you go back and read some of the older threads, you will find that everything gets better. I ain't there yet, but I believe it.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
If you go back and read some of the older threads, you will find that everything gets better. I ain't there yet, but I believe it.

aggie,

Ed’s trying to put a pretty face on it, but life after retirement is full of stress and frustrations. For example,

- Almost every day you will be forced to decide whether you should get up and watch the sunrise while you sip your first cup, or sleep until it’s so bright the light coming in through the window forces you awake.
- You will be frustrated because you don't know if it’s Monday or Wednesday, and a little freaked out by the fact you don’t really seem to care.
- You will be torn between spending time with your hobbies, doing volunteer w*rk, taking a trip, reading whatever you want for as long as you want, or (heaven forbid), spending time with virtual anonymous friends on an internet discussion board.

I've just scratched the surface, but you get the idea. Retirement is not stress free. You'll only be trading one set of problems for another. ;)

REWahoo! said:
aggie,

Ed’s trying to put a pretty face on it, but life after retirement is full of stress and frustrations. For example,

- Almost every day you will be forced to decide whether you should get up and watch the sunrise while you sip your first cup, or sleep until it’s so bright the light coming in through the window forces you awake.
- You will be frustrated because you don't know if it’s Monday or Wednesday, and a little freaked out by the fact you don’t really seem to care.
- You will be torn between spending time with your hobbies, doing volunteer w*rk, taking a trip, reading whatever you want for as long as you want, or (heaven forbid), spending time with virtual anonymous friends on an internet discussion board.

I've just scratched the surface, but you get the idea. Retirement is not stress free. You'll only be trading one set of problems for another. ;)

I liked that!! :D

It's been a month since I pulled the plug, and in that (short) time, I've lost a few pounds and about an inch around the waist, my BP has gone down a smidge, and I have only taken TUMS twice (and that was because of what I ate) as compared to taking a few every day while still w*rking.

Overall....I feel ALOT better now! Though I do suffer from some of what REWahoo! stated in his post!!! :D

REWahoo! said:
aggie,

Rewahoo is spot on. My damn dog keeps waking me up at 6:00am to feed her. I've tried explaining to her that I don't have to get up early anymore and for her to sleep in too, but she keeps waking me up anyway. Very stressful way to start the day. Retirement is full of stress. :(

My health changes have been remarkable.

I am actively involved in pilates, tai chi, yoga, circuit training, eliptical (for cardio) and,best of all, I am enjoying it -- it is not a chore to get in after work but a social hobby. In fact, this summer I am hoping to get tai chi and pilates certification.

Last fall, during my 6month mammogram routine, the doctor asked me "..what has changed in your lifestyle...?" After initially panicing, he assured me that my breasts (density,calcifications, etc) have cleared up and I no longer have to be seen every 6 months. After a discussion about my increased exercising, better nutrition, less stress, etc., I feel confident that my good news is due to these changes.

REWahoo! said:
:)

You do realize what an evil man you are for those of us who are wrestling with when to pull the trigger, right?

LOL! Well, thanks for the responses! Now I kinda feel like ol' Brer Rabbit," Please don't throw me into that briar patch." I guess I need to take a retired friend's comment at face value, "everyday is a Saturday."

aggie

I retired from a stressful desk job two years ago. I have lost 25lbs and feel great. No stress my time is my time to do what I want.

aggie said:
I guess I need to take a retired friend's comment at face value, "everyday is a Saturday."

I look at it as everyday is a day.......not sure which day.......usually don't care which day! I'm just happy that none of them are "w*rk" days anymore!

Kind of like I tell my friends....."It's like when you were a little kid, (before the grown-ups sent ya off to kindergarten) you'd get up in the morning and play ALL DAY LONG, and then they'd have to drag you in to the house to go to bed at night! ENDLESS DAYS OF PLAY!!!" :D

Goonie said:
I liked that!! :D

It's been a month since I pulled the plug, and in that (short) time, I've lost a few pounds and about an inch around the waist, my BP has gone down a smidge, and I have only taken TUMS twice (and that was because of what I ate) as compared to taking a few every day while still w*rking.

Overall....I feel ALOT better now! Though I do suffer from some of what REWahoo! stated in his post!!! :D

Goonie, it was GREAT to read about the health improvements you've experienced, especially since you only just retired (has it been a month? Wow, how time flies). This is just what I am hoping it will be like for me in 2010 when I retire.

Since 31 Dec '04 (The Wonderful Day) I have lost 65 pounds of fat, BP is almost down to normal, no more migraines, chronic arthritis pain is gone, no more teeth grinding.

I feel good!

Khan said:
Since 31 Dec '04 (The Wonderful Day) I have lost 65 pounds of fat, BP is almost down to normal, no more migraines, chronic arthritis pain is gone, no more teeth grinding.

I feel good!

This is very encouraging! I am planning and visualizing my retirement lifestyle as a healthier way of life, involving more walking and less driving, as well as the regular gym membership that I now maintain. But no matter how much I plan and visualize, I do not yet know what I am getting into, as far as the effects on my health. I do feel the lessening of stress will be extremely beneficial. It is great to hear from retired people who have done as well as you have done. :)

My blood pressure was down 10% the first year and 20% the second year.

No, I don't expect (or want) that trend to continue...

These are all great testimonials! Just for fun, I'll log my main concerns(weight, BP, lipids, blood sugar) at the beginning of formal retirement and status it monthly-quarterly. Not that any of you all will care, but it will provide some much needed accountability to me. I do appreciate the information you all have shared with me, quite motivating!

Back
Top Bottom