Changing insurance plans midstream

utrecht

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ive talked about my back problems here in the past. I had severe pain, burning and numbness in my right leg. I had back surgery on May 29th.

Two days after the surgery I woke up with my LEFT thigh completely numb. The neurosurgeon said I should have no issues with my left leg because they did no work on that side of spine. Thanks doc, Ill remember that I should not have any issues and that should make it go away right? Maybe you screwed something up? He told me I would be 100% healed and playing golf in 12 weeks.

So, its about 13 weeks later now. I've moved to Florida so the old doctor is out of the picture. I'm seeing a new neurosurgeon for 2 bulging discs in my neck (one above and one below a previous neck fusion surgery). I'm moving around pretty well now but my right thigh still has numbness. Most of the burning and pain is gone. I have intermittent burning down the back of my LEFT leg and my left big toe is numb. I have most definitely not re-injured myself because I haven't done anything besides stretch and walk in 7 months. Physical therapy made it worse so I stopped although Im still going for my neck.

I got a post surgery MRI to see WTF is going on and have an appt on Sept 16th with the doc.

On to my question. I'm already past my max out of pocket this year so everything is 100% covered. Next year is a concern. I retired in Jan, but I am still being paid by my previous employer until Feb 2016 due to being paid my excessive sick and vacation time on a weekly basis which allows me to keep my health insurance. In Feb I will need to get my own insurance. Is there anything in the ACA that says that any money I pay towards my deductible in Jan be applied towards my new policy in Feb which will most certainly be with a different insurance company?

In Feb I will need to get my own insurance. Is there anything in the ACA that says that any money I pay towards my deductible in Jan be applied towards my new policy in Feb which will most certainly be with a different insurance company?
Regretfully, no. A change in policy means a reset in your part of the cost sharing.

On to my question. I'm already past my max out of pocket this year so everything is 100% covered. Next year is a concern. I retired in Jan, but I am still being paid by my previous employer until Feb 2016 due to being paid my excessive sick and vacation time on a weekly basis which allows me to keep my health insurance. In Feb I will need to get my own insurance. Is there anything in the ACA that says that any money I pay towards my deductible in Jan be applied towards my new policy in Feb which will most certainly be with a different insurance company?
Could you get a ACA policy starting on Jan 1st and not use your old policy?

Could you get a ACA policy starting on Jan 1st and not use your old policy?

Yes, but I would still be paying for my old policy also. I estimate my new policy to cost about $625 / month so it would cost an extra $625 to start the new policy early. That defeats the purpose.

I'll probably just not schedule anything for January.

Back
Top Bottom