chemo and postpone ER

peonyprincess

Confused about dryer sheets
I haven't seen this topic discussed before. My original plan was to retire on December 7th. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer the beginning of September. I had the hysterectomy and will start chemo treatments Oct. 4th. They will continue through the middle of January 2013. My question is should I stick with my original date or postpone ER until the end of January. My company provides short term disability so I will continue to get paid throughout the treatments. My concern is having to deal with all the retirement issues in the middle of treatments. My healthcare benefits would continue if I retired in December but I would be paying a higher premium. I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any thoughts from the group.

I haven't seen this topic discussed before. My original plan was to retire on December 7th. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer the beginning of September. I had the hysterectomy and will start chemo treatments Oct. 4th. They will continue through the middle of January 2013. My question is should I stick with my original date or postpone ER until the end of January. My company provides short term disability so I will continue to get paid throughout the treatments. My concern is having to deal with all the retirement issues in the middle of treatments. My healthcare benefits would continue if I retired in December but I would be paying a higher premium. I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any thoughts from the group.

So sorry that life has thrown this at you. My advice, worth less than you paid for it, is to stick it out at w*rk, both for any financial benefit and for the peace-of-mind aspect. Your focus should be on getting well. Either way, best of luck!

So sorry that life has thrown this at you. My advice, worth less than you paid for it, is to stick it out at w*rk, both for any financial benefit and for the peace-of-mind aspect. Your focus should be on getting well. Either way, best of luck!

+1

Best wishes. Stay at work and take sick leave when you need it. The last thing you want during chemo would be the stress of having to deal with money issues. You will pull through this and then have plenty of time for retirement.

Don't retire until you are through this. Work is both an economic and social activity. Co-workers often provide emotional support.

If you have HR staff meet with them about your short term disability program, vacation and sick leave status, and any other hoops your employer may require during the course of your treatment.

Do not discuss retirement except in the most general of terms if they bring that up, something like "I will be making that decision in the next year or two, I would appreciate help in interpreting the terms of our retirement program."

One issue on your manager's mind will be back-filling your position during your absence, and whether or not a permanent replacement will be happening in the near future. How you handle that is something only you can decide.

Sorry to hear about that. I would postpone the retirement and not worry at all about the job or making a decision for the time being, just focus on getting yourself well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I'm currently filling in for a former co-worker who broke her leg very badly a few days before she planned to retire. Megacorp won't let her retire until her doctor clears her to return to work. I wonder if that might be the case for you, too?

If not, I join the chorus in voting to delay retirement.

Best of luck to you as you battle through this curve ball.

Sorry to hear of your illness and hope you have good support to get you through the next several months.

Here is a thread on a similar although not identical situation
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/ch-ch-ch-changes-61429.html

I vote with the rest of the folks who have already posted - stay the course, w*rk as much as you can during your treatments (I have several friends who were able to be productive half-time or more and it actually helped them get through the treatments, of course YMMV), and then decide. All the best to you and do keep us posted!

My concern is having to deal with all the retirement issues in the middle of treatments. My healthcare benefits would continue if I retired in December but I would be paying a higher premium. I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any thoughts from the group.
I hate to say it, but while you're going through chemotherapy you may be in no physical, mental, or emotional condition to handle much more than the very basics of getting through the day. This would seem to be a very bad time to be making retirement decisions, and the company would probably be concerned about the appearance of coercing you even if you wanted to make those decisions.

Hi peonyprincess,
I'm in almost exactly the same situation, except with breast cancer rather than uterine. I didn't want to work through treatment, and had planned to retire next May anyway. In order to preserve a benefit I can get after retirement based on my unused sick leave balance, I also didn't want to use sick leave for all the time I might miss, and was afraid that if I used unpaid leave I would not have enough income to cover my expenses (mortgage etc).

What I ended up doing is requesting a switch from working full time at the office to telecommuting and reducing my hours to half time. I also sold my house and am now living with my recently widowed mom (we were already both in the same city). That may or may not be an option for you. I'm planning to stay on the payroll, if allowed, at least until I finish chemo, which will be in January. After that I'll be having reconstructive surgery, but there will be a delay of at least two months between finishing chemo and that--possibly considerably longer, depending on how long it takes me to recover from chemo, and how booked up the surgeons are. I'm strongly thinking about retiring once I finish chemo. I've really never had any intention of returning to the office after this--in fact I was getting pretty burned-out and seriously thinking about retiring as soon as my house could be sold even if the lump had turned out to be benign. That gap of two months ought to be enough time to get the paperwork done. Also, my mom is making noises about selling this house, which is really too big for one person, and moving to an independent living retirement community (with assisted living available if she needs it in the future). If so, I should be moved out before it goes on the market. I'm currently house-hunting, and hope to have found something by then even if the current prospect doesn't work out.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. All the best to your recovery. Take good care of yourself.

Unless you need more time to dedicate to your recovery than your employer grants, I would delay retirement decisions till the end of treatment.

I am so sorry, Peony! I totally agree with the stay-with-it regarding the work issue.
You may know many people who have not only survived but thrived after uterine CA, but if not, I'm still healthy 20 years after stage IIIc. Keep your chin up and fight.

Best wishes. Stay at work and take sick leave when you need it. The last thing you want during chemo would be the stress of having to deal with money issues. You will pull through this and then have plenty of time for retirement.
+1...

SIL went through this a few years ago for the same condition (even though she was not near retirement).

One thing to consider beyond the financials (which should be taken care of by company sick leave) and that is the emotional support of those around you at your place of employment - assuming some/many are your "friends".

They were connected to her constantly (via computer or visits) throughout her treatment, and I'm sure that aided in her recovery and to keep her spirits up.

BTW, good luck to you...

I am sorry you have to go through this. I would do whatever you need to do in order to concentrate on recovering your health. Perhaps meeting with some people who have already gone through the treatment may help clear your mind.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My wife went through the entire ordeal last year. She is retired and I was with her for all of her treatments (I am still working , both of us are 55). I delayed ER so I didn't have to deal with insurance issues and to be honest, going to work when I could, being forced to focus on something other than her sickness, helped both of us get through this. She is feeling much better now and we are getting back to living our normal lives. So try to stay positive and realize that cancer treatments have advanced tremendously over the last 5 years, so you WILL get better. Good luck!

Hi Peonyprincess,

I am very sorry to hear of your health problems. I think you should not worry about anyone but yourself when it comes to this decision - do what is best for you.

Warm regards,

-helen

Back
Top Bottom