Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drink 5 or 6 cups of instant coffee on most days, and will get a headache if I don't have at least 2. I think instant has a little more than half the caffeine of regular brewed coffee (I drink instant because it is easy and I don't like the taste of coffee that has been kept on a warming plate for more than a few minutes).

Sometimes it hurts by stomach and I cut back. Other than that, I haven't read anything that makes me think coffee is harmful to most people. So, I don't feel guilty about enjoying a few cups of the stuff over the course of the day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love coffee too and drink it throughout the day. I'm into athletics and sports, and I don't feel it really hurts that at all. The bad thing I do is adding cream and sugar.

Probably the worst thing about coffee is/can be drinking it too late such that it throws off your normal sleep cycle. Everyone needs a full nights rest for optimum performance, and if you're throwing that off with coffee, that's not good.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh dear - look what I found when I wasn't looking for it:

Williams-Sonoma | Bialetti Mukka Glass Cappuccino Maker

There's a demonstration video on that page...

It's so perty, shiny, and see-thru! Someone hide my credit card...

At least it's on back order so it's not technically an impulse purchase!

I've been using a moka pot for about 1 year - but this looks like an upgrade!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
Administrator

Wow!! I can definitely see why you are tempted.

I looked back on this thread and saw (to my embarrassment) that I really did intend to cut back on caffeine. I still have the decaf, but haven't actually been drinking it.

On the other hand, a cappucino maker unfortunately is not in my future. Wouldn't be prudent, since I really should be cutting back on caffeine, not adding to it...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love coffee. I have been drinking it for 42 years, since I was 12. My mom was always trying to cut sugar from our diets because I was a juvenile diabetic so she would substitute fats. I love freshly ground Columbian beans, made in a single cup dripper, with heavy cream. In the last 20 years I have been using half and half in an effort to cut down on delicious fat.

One extra strong cup in the morning.

Mike D.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

pretty cool. It got decent reviews over at the coffeegeek site:

CoffeeGeek - Bialetti Mukka Stovetop Cappuccino

aluminum and cow print (?!) ones at amazon, $90 plus $9 shipping. The glass looks much nicer, IMO.

I almost always drink mine straight black, otherwise this could be tempting.

-ERD50
Old 03-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #27

This will prevent me from peeking in the pot to see if the espresso's up - that causes some minor disasters!

Bodum has ones which were plastic - so I avoided those.

i'm too excited...and now i have to wait until May! oh the tiny pleasures...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #28

Oh wow - that is so cool for a cappuccino maker! Thanks for sharing - oh and I love coffee - usually only drink one cup a day and it's really a half cup cuz it's half coffee half milk.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

decaf all the way. freebird on caffeine is not funny.

usually 3 small cups in AM. cool cafe blues decaf is my fave.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I might drink 10 cups of coffee a year. Black tea is my favored method of caffeine injection. I must say that there is no other fragrance that sets my heart a-twitter like the smell of the coffee aisle at my local grocers. Running a close second is the smell of a baby's head.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #31

Ok, confession. My local shop had one in stock! Just had my first cup and it was soo cool to watch! It will be my 5 minutes of dorky happiness every morning! I even made my kids watch...hehehe
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Once every couple months I try to brew up some Turkish Coffee. I've only had it once in a Greek restaurant, and I thought it was amazing. It's the only coffee I like with sugar added. That coffeeegeek site had a 16 page thread on it! Stir, don't stir. Add coffee to cold water or hot water. How many times to raise the froth, plain, sugar, coriander, cardamom, fennel seed, etc, etc etc.

I've got the grinder (it looks like a brass pepper grinder - you grind until you get powder - like flour), I've got the ibrik - still need to perfect the technique.

-ERD50
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Also a big time coffee drinker - 4-6 cups a day on average. Highly prefer a French Vanilla cream with my coffee. I call it "candy coffee." Sooo Good.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #34

MMMM....coffee! Was in a 4 hr meeting today - probably had 6 cups or more of java love! No cream or sugary stuff here, except the very random foofoolatamucketymuckalotta once in a while - starts off tasty, then, towards end of cup, remember why I prefer my coffee strong and black! Oh, the smell....the taste...mmmm! (thank goodness the makers have improved the taste of decafs!)
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Usually 1-2 cups a day. I am lucky to have two coffee shops within 1 block of my office, and a coffee shop 1/2 block from my house. It's such a joy to go for coffee in the morning with friends from work. I think the trip over to the coffee shop (nice break from w*rk) is probably even more enjoyable than the coffee itself. Even though it's not LBYM, I figured it's one of the "quality of life" things that makes w*rk more tolerable, and therefore is well worth it.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I am almost embarrassed to say this because everyone else is speaking in "cups" and I have to speak in "pots.". I drink about a pot and a half a day, maybe 2. When I was deployed, I was drinking 3-4 pots a day. Probably drank about a cup every half hour or so. Makes me feel like the fat kid of coffee. I just read that coffee beans have so many more pesticides than other foods. I expect an extra eyeball to pop out of the back of my head any day now.

If it helps any, at least it's black coffee....no added sugar or milk
Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I am having a cup right now.

That cappuccino maker is nice... and looks simple.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Strong and black for me. 4 mugs most days for me, 2 in the morning, 1 mid day and one after supper. Doesn't bother my sleep patterns, no matter how late I have caffein.

I do have to cut back at times if it starts bothering my stomach. I do skip a day from time to time and it doesn't have any effect on me other than I don't get the extra boost.

When I was working I did two mugs of regular and 2 mugs of decaf if I need more in the morning and a Diet Pepsi instead of coffee in the afternoon. Now I make a big pot of coffee in the morning and nuke the left overs for afternoon and evening. Not a real coffee snob, but can't stand instant or Starbucks coffee.

Jeb
Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Decaf in the morning, usually 1-2 cups. A big mug of green tea in the afternoon (usually Tazo)...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't live without coffee. I drink it 7 days a week and feel "off" if I don't have it. I have cut down on the caffeine and have a big cup of "half-caf" in the morning and then decaf the rest of the day, probably 2 more cups or so...