Cognition for Finances--Declines from mid-50s

nwsteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today's NY Times has an excellent article regarding how our financial cognitive capacity peaks in our mid-50s!! By 80, half of us will have significantly diminished cognitive ability for numbers and processes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/25/y...mailed&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed

If the link does not work, it can currently be found easily in the list of "most emailed". I do also recommend reading at least the "most recommended" comments from Readers--69 when I was there last. Really personalized the challenges that come from loss of cognition for ourselves or aging parents. There have been a number of threads recently of Forum members dealing with estate challenges from their parents passing.

One commenter recommended a book "What to do When I am Stupid". Have anyone here read--it is worth the time?

This article IMHO is especially relevant to how much complexity some of us have in our financial lives (myself included). For example, I know I have way too many positions in our investment accounts, spread across too many institutions. Started the process last week by consolidating our investment accounts at Fidelity last week. Once that is done, will retitle to our new Revocable Living Trust so probate will not be an issue for the surviving spouse. I am now especially inspired to cut down the positions so the DW will not feel overwhelmed should she survive me and so I can be sure to be able to manage it myself.
Nwsteve

I thought that assets with joint ownership were not subject to probate. Also, retirement accounts with spouse beneficiaries declared.

Index baby, Index :D

Back
Top Bottom