Colonoscopy after effects !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had a colonoscopy about eight days ago, had a couple of polyps snipped and was back home in a couple of hours. Now a week later still seems my bowels are a tad queasy, not uncomfortable or painful just not quite right. Still seems like everything I eat gives me slight indigestion and gas. Sorry for the details, just wondering if anyone else has had any lingering effects from the procedure ?

They put air into your colon during the procedure and because you had a few polyps you probably got more than the normal amount . I would try to pass as much gas as I could and if that doesn't help I'd call the Doctor's office for further suggestions . Eight days seems pretty long to still have this problem.

They put air into your colon during the procedure and because you had a few polyps you probably got more than the normal amount . I would try to pass as much gas as I could and if that doesn't help I'd call the Doctor's office for further suggestions . Eight days seems pretty long to still have this problem.

After my first colonoscopy I was in a lot of pain the first few days, and passing blood, so I ended up calling the Dr. He said that sometimes the bowel "gets irritated" after a procedure. It took 2 weeks before I was back to normal, and 15 years before I could be persuaded to go for a second procedure. The 2nd time was a much faster recovery.

Nords had a long-running thread on this topic. It should be a mandatory read before getting a colonoscopy!

You might try a probiotic like Align. That may get you working again.

Chances are excellent that you'll feel better soon. :)

(until the bills start coming in....)

Had my 5th one, since January 1989, this August.......(No, no...they're not addictive)......glad to say I've never had a problem.

I thought they used smoke - or is that only when you are buying a used car or an annuity?

No , they use air which makes a person undergoing a colonoscopy similar to car salesman , annuity salesman & politicians since they are all full of hot air !:)

When DH had his first one, he complained of "feeling his guts all the time". Not sure what he meant, but that was the only time he had that particular feeling.

No , they use air which makes a person undergoing a colonoscopy similar to car salesman , annuity salesman & politicians since they are all full of hot air !:)
And it all comes out in the end....

Some how I knew this thread was destined for the old dirt road but thanks anyways !

OK, give me the bottom line.
To a proctologist, we're all a bunch of assholes...

Seriously, though, you could try boosting the fiber & water to see if that helps. Sometimes the colonoscopy prep disrupts the gut's bacterial balance and it takes a while to restore itself.

There are also side effects to colonoscopy anesthesia. I don't remember which one or how persistent, but maybe Dr. Rich or another anesthesia expert can chime in. I'm not sure if it's Versed or another substance.

I felt a bit off for a couple of weeks. My chiropractor sells all sorts of vitamins and he said that it's not the procedure itself that causes problems but the prep the day before. He said it would eventually get back to balance but he gave me some pills to restore the colon's good bacteria faster than normal. You might ask your doctor to recommend something similar (or google around, maybe it's just a matter of eating yogurt, something I don't eat).

The biggest after-effect for me was feeling tired, weak, and sleepy for a day or two. I attributed this to the Propofol. I just didn't feel like shopping or doing much.

Within an hour or two of awakening from the anesthesia, I was at a Creole Italian restaurant eating large quantities of some extremely spicy Cajun food (thanks to F. who drove me there straight from the outpatient clinic). All those Cajun spices were probably harder on my completely empty digestive tract than the procedure, but it sure made me feel happy and glad to be alive. :D

No after-effects......was raring to go that same afternoon but had been warned not to drive. Yrs earlier, I had several cataract operations under anesthesia due to longer than normal eyeballs and much myopia. Felt miserable after first (nauseous, tired, sleepy) and am thankful that perceptive eye doc changed anesthesia (type/amount) for second which went fine. Talked w/ doc prior to colonoscopy about those results and he changed his plan due to that. Hopefully cause and effect.

Back
Top Bottom