Computer Glasses

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I recently got computer glasses (along with new lenses for my regular glasses). I think computer glasses make a world of difference when staring at a monitor for hours.

They were pricey, and I'm kicking myself now as when washing my computer glasses for the first time, I put some noticeable scratches (when I hold the lenses up to the light at an angle) with a microfiber cloth. :facepalm:

From not on while washing, I'm just gonna shake off the water and let air dry (but that's closing the barn door after the horse has left :blush:).

Attachments

• 18d7n5248z1kgjpg.jpg
    18d7n5248z1kgjpg.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 18
I use my computer glasses for reading music as well. I swear by them for that purpose alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

They were pricey, and I'm kicking myself now as when washing my computer glasses for the first time, I put some noticeable scratches (when I hold the lenses up to the light at an angle) with a microfiber cloth. :facepalm:
I wash my glasses by first putting them under a stream of water from the faucet to knock off any dust or dirt particles. Then I put a tiny drop of dish soap on one side of each of the lenses and spread it around to both sides with my (washed) fingers to degrease the lenses. A quick shake and a blow gets nearly all the water off the lenses, and they are ready to wear again. I wasn't sure if this was a good way to clean my glasses but I told my optometrist, and he said it was an excellent method.

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I am considering getting some computer progressives.

EDIT - I just realized that what you meant by computer glasses was different from what I was thinking. You are referring to a tint, whereas I thought you meant a special prescription designed for viewing at that specific distance.

Last edited:
This actually is my second time I've had computer glasses. Back in the late 1990's, on a project that I'd be staring at a computer screen all day (old CRTs too), without them I'd get terrible eyestrain.

What is different this time (and to my surprise), I really didn't get tested for the computer glasses. I asked my eye doctor and he kind of looked at me with a puzzled look. The glasses I have now make the screen nice and clear (even after I scrathed the lens cleaning them :facepalm:)

My computer glasses are made to focus at a certain distance so no real testing needed? (I went to Amazon and did a search on computer glasses and the many of the reviews write about how nice they are but rarely talk about prescriptions for them).

I wash my glasses by first putting them under a stream of water from the faucet to knock off any dust or dirt particles. Then I put a tiny drop of dish soap on one side of each of the lenses and spread it around to both sides with my (washed) fingers to degrease the lenses. A quick shake and a blow gets nearly all the water off the lenses, and they are ready to wear again. I wasn't sure if this was a good way to clean my glasses but I told my optometrist, and he said it was an excellent method.

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I am considering getting some computer progressives.

EDIT - I just realized that what you meant by computer glasses was different from what I was thinking. You are referring to a tint, whereas I thought you meant a special prescription designed for viewing at that specific distance.

That's pretty much the cleaning method I'm using now (after the fact, of course :(). I'm talking about glasses made especially for computer use. One advantage of them is if you get one with the tint coating, that helps filter out some of the light from the monitor. Another is the focusing at the proper distance -- unlike what happens when using reading and regular distance glasses for computers.

What is different this time (and to my surprise), I really didn't get tested for the computer glasses. I asked my eye doctor and he kind of looked at me with a puzzled look. The glasses I have now make the screen nice and clear (even after I scrathed the lens cleaning them :facepalm:)

My computer glasses are made to focus at a certain distance so no real testing needed? (I went to Amazon and did a search on computer glasses and the many of the reviews write about how nice they are but rarely talk about prescriptions for them).

No real testing needed? This really got my attention, but I don't get it. How did you figure out what strength of correction to get? I searched for "computer glasses" on Amazon, and noticed that the first one had them in +1.25 to +3.00 power, and recommended getting 1/2 the power used for reading with drugstore reading glasses. Is that what you did?

No real testing needed? This really got my attention, but I don't get it. How did you figure out what strength of correction to get? I searched for "computer glasses" on Amazon, and noticed that the first one had them in +1.25 to +3.00 power, and recommended getting 1/2 the power used for reading with drugstore reading glasses. Is that what you did?

I'm thinking that perhaps since he had just done my eye exam for replacement lenses (regular glasses), that he already had the measurements for the computer glasses.

I'm thinking that perhaps since he had just done my eye exam for replacement lenses (regular glasses), that he already had the measurements for the computer glasses.

Oh OK, I see. Thanks! :flowers:

And thanks for the idea. I think I might really like some dedicated computer glasses, so I ordered some cheap ones from Amazon just to try out this idea. I have the prescription from my last eye exam, so I ordered them with half the reading correction.

Last edited:
I searched for "computer glasses" on Amazon, and noticed that the first one had them in +1.25 to +3.00 power, and recommended getting 1/2 the power used for reading with drugstore reading glasses.

This is the first I've heard of computer glasses. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go to the drug store and buy a pair of reading glasses ONE HALF the strength you already use for reading?

And how about those "adjustable" kind of glasses? (that they seem to have stopped advertising on TV...?) Pricey but the adjustments would be de facto infinite for computer usage as time marches on.

This is the first I've heard of computer glasses. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go to the drug store and buy a pair of reading glasses ONE HALF the strength you already use for reading?

That's what I'm trying, except instead of the drugstore I ordered some fairly cheap ones (3 pairs in the correction I selected, for $12, free Prime shipping) from Amazon. I don't know if this idea will work, but if not then I won't have lost much.

I recall my optometrist telling me that the middle range on my trifocals were computed as half the reading strength, though, so it sounds right to me. The little sliver of mid-range correction on my trifocals is less than optimal, though, so I'd like to try computer glasses with just the mid-range and nothing else.

The little sliver of mid-range correction on my trifocals is less than optimal, though, so I'd like to try computer glasses with just the mid-range and nothing else.

I, too, wear trifocals. When I went to trifocals (10 years ago?), I told the Optometrist that I wanted a prescription just for computer use. He told me to measure how far the monitor was from my eyes in my normal sitting position. He than wrote a prescription for bifocals (the bottom being the same as my regular glasses). My prescription hasn't changed significantly since then (despite annual checkups) but I am very satisfied with this arrangement. I have both the item (document and/or keyboard) on the desk and the monitor in focus at the same time.

I, too, wear trifocals. When I went to trifocals (10 years ago?), I told the Optometrist that I wanted a prescription just for computer use. He told me to measure how far the monitor was from my eyes in my normal sitting position. He than wrote a prescription for bifocals (the bottom being the same as my regular glasses). My prescription hasn't changed significantly since then (despite annual checkups) but I am very satisfied with this arrangement. I have both the item (document and/or keyboard) on the desk and the monitor in focus at the same time.

I think I'll talk to my optometrist about doing something more suitable for me, like you did, next time. Thanks.

I would be sooo tempted to order these as my computer glasses:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 119
My vision is different than the drugstore "readers" but I like having a pair of glasses with correction optimized for screen distance instead of working with bifocals on the computer. My eye doctor figured the correct prescription, then I bought several pairs for cheap at Zenni and keep them at each computer, home and work. They were so inexpensive I don't have to worry if I scratch or lose a pair. It's a lot easier to work with and see the whole screen in focus and not have to look at a particular bifocal angle to see clearly. I really like them.

For about 6 years I kept telling the eye Dr. that my trifocals weren't doing the trick when reading and working on the computer. I could only read for 30 minutes or so then everything went blurry and when I looked away from the book or computer it would take over an hour for my eyes to return to normal. Finally, at my last eye exam the Dr. talked about prisms in my glasses just for reading. I finally can sit at the computer and read for hours and when I look away it is no longer blurry.

After my cataract surgery, I got annoyed at all the times during the day I had to put on/take off my drugstore readers, so I went to my friendly neighborhood Costco and had an eye exam. Told the doc I wanted a pair of bifocals with nothing on top and reading strength on the bottom. He did a thorough exam and came up with a prescription that's a bit more sophisticated than that but essentially what I wanted. I wear them a lot, and like them.

While I was there, I asked for a second prescription for computer glasses. He did the close-up exam again, asking me to hold the reading sample at the distance I used for my monitor (which is just about as far as my arm can reach).

The computer prescription is +1.75 which works very well, but my preferred reading prescription is +2.25, so it's not half the reading strength for me.

I bought both of those glasses at the same Costco last year and I'm quite happy with them.

What do you guys and gals think about the "computer glasses" that block the blue end of the spectrum? This is supposed to reduce strain and prevent the melatonin suppression that blue light causes (an issue for those who have to or choose to look at monitors/tablets/TVs in the evening and near bed time).

What do you guys and gals think about the "computer glasses" that block the blue end of the spectrum? This is supposed to reduce strain and prevent the melatonin suppression that blue light causes (an issue for those who have to or choose to look at monitors/tablets/TVs in the evening and near bed time).

I would love to know more about this. DW has trouble getting to sleep after several hours with the laptop, and I wonder if these would help?

I would love to know more about this. DW has trouble getting to sleep after several hours with the laptop, and I wonder if these would help?

Poke around on Google or (if you have access) scholarly journals. There's mounting evidence that exposure to blue light in the couple hours before bedtime can significantly negatively affect sleep quality. Presumably this is an increasing problem due to more and more screens.

Here's one free access article (with references to more academic stuff): How Blocking Blue Light at Night Can Transform Your Sleep . It includes info/links for a pair of blue-blocking glasses Amazon sells.

There's also a program called F.Lux that adjusts the blue component of a computer monitor automatically based on time of day (ramps down blue at night).

DW just got new glasses and had the option to get lenses with blue reduction. I'll try to find out more and pass that on.

Poke around on Google or (if you have access) scholarly journals. There's mounting evidence that exposure to blue light in the couple hours before bedtime can significantly negatively affect sleep quality. Presumably this is an increasing problem due to more and more screens.

Here's one free access article (with references to more academic stuff): How Blocking Blue Light at Night Can Transform Your Sleep . It includes info/links for a pair of blue-blocking glasses Amazon sells.

There's also a program called F.Lux that adjusts the blue component of a computer monitor automatically based on time of day (ramps down blue at night).

DW just got new glasses and had the option to get lenses with blue reduction. I'll try to find out more and pass that on.

Thanks for this. I am buying a pair immediately. If it works, you are a Saint.

My job used to have me in front if a compute 10 hours a day. Getting a prescription that was calculated to the distance from my eyes to the computer screen was a GREAT change. So was no longer having to go in to the job.

:)

When I'm at the desktop PC I use my regular reading glasses. I used to use lower strength for this but then I found that I needed to be close to the screen to get the ergonomics right (particularly my back). The chair is also an important ergo item for me. I have the cordless keyboard on my lap and this puts my eyes, hands, wrists, and back in the right position for me.

So I'd say all this depends on your setup and your body. Not easy to generalize.

Oh OK, I see. Thanks! :flowers:

And thanks for the idea. I think I might really like some dedicated computer glasses, so I ordered some cheap ones from Amazon just to try out this idea. I have the prescription from my last eye exam, so I ordered them with half the reading correction.

W2R,

How did the cheap glasses from Amazon turn out for you?

For me I got some good news with those scratches I put on my glasses with a microfiber cloth. Apparently, maybe they weren't scratches but superficial smudges as after no longer using a cloth but just dish soap and water to do the cleaning, I really can't see any scratches at all :D

My job used to have me in front if a compute 10 hours a day. Getting a prescription that was calculated to the distance from my eyes to the computer screen was a GREAT change. So was no longer having to go in to the job.

:)

That's what I have also. Not particularly expensive. I can see fairly well with them although they are a few years old as this point...

Back
Top Bottom