Join Early Retirement Today

Dental Plans
Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Dental Plans

Has anyone heard of Uni-Care 200 Dental plans? It is a discount plan not insurance.

Now that I have dropped the corporate insurance in favor of a private HSA I am looking to lower dental costs since Dentists typically charge a higher rate for patients without dental insurance. Plans like the one above give you back some control but not all dentists take them. If anyone has used a product like this would you share your experiences?

I have looked at several dental insurance options but the cost does not make it worth while since paying out of pocket seems to be equal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Couple of things...

You can often negotiate a cash price with any dentist, no cards or discount plans needed.

Many of these plans tend to include dentists that are a bit substandard that are willing to take less to get more customers.

All that having been said, if you cant negotiate a better cash price with a dentist you like, you might find a decent dentist from one of these plans if you vet them carefully.

Sams Club and Costco offer similar "dental HMO" type programs. Maybe at better rates.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is an individual dental plan from Anthem that seems to be fairly priced, and the network seems to be a bit better than the discount networks. Keep in mind there is a 6 month waiting period for fillings and a 12 month waiting period for major services like crowns and root canals. There has to be a waiting period for 2nd and third tier services or else no one would ever buy dental insurance until they needed a root canal. There is no waiting period for preventive services. On the discount plans, there is usually no waiting period, because you're just getting a discount, not true insurance.:

Anthem Blue PPO Dental Plan

If you want a traditional or ANY DENTIST plan, check out this site:

Ameritas Group - home page
Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

....and a great new individual vision plan that I have recently come across....

Welcome :: Vision Care Direct

I am not sure if they are in every state yet, but the premiums are very affordable, especially if you wear glasses or contacts....or if you are on Medicare and need a plan to pay for materials. I think Medicare pays for an exam, but not materials, so you can use this vision plan to buy a materials only benefit for a very reasonable price.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can often negotiate a cash price with any dentist, no cards or discount plans needed.
Can you elaborate on that, possibly with an example of the dialog?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Never mind, I found a video that shows the negotiation process in detail:

Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Oboy.

Well, the easiest way to do it is to get the price list from one of the 'discount card' people so you have some idea what the 'special' price is.

Then you call your regular dentist, tell them you're going off of the insurance plan, you like them a lot, would like to stay with them, can they offer you a cash discount for paying in full at the time of treatment. Most likely they will. Ask a couple of price questions about a cleaning, filling and basic extractions or onlays.

My dad does this all the time, but then he used to teach the...uh...sport. Dentists, like I imagine all doctors...hate the insurance companies.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Never mind, I found a video that shows the negotiation process in detail:

Brilliant - my kind of humour
Old 07-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah I really liked the video !

Three Cheers.