diagnosed with lymphoma

ratface

Recycles dryer sheets
Well I started my vacation with a routine doctors appt. and he he felt a enlarged lymph node. MRI yesterday. He just called back and said the radiologist thinks it's a lymphoma. Biopsy tomorrow. Had the car all packed to leave on vacation, just went out and unpacked it. Mom died from it at 63. I'm 50 and have no symptoms yet. Not my best vacation ever. Been doing lots of reading and figure as popular a disease as it is someone here has dealt with it already? Any survivors here?

I don't have any experience with it, but dammit...I'm sorry.

Perhaps the biopsy will be negative.

No experience with lymphoma.
The only thing I can offer is this...3 months after my Mom passed from undetected breast cancer, I had an abnormal mammogram. Those were some very trying days until 6 months later a followup screening showed no changes.
Try to think positive (yeah right). I'm keying on what you wrote...the "radiologist thinks" versus the "radiologist knows". And the followup biopsy in real time is a good thing, no matter what the outcome.
If, and that's a really big if, it is lymphoma, you have a lot of medical science and experience on your side.
Hang in there!

Let's see what the biopsy shows; lots of possibilities many of which are highly manageable.

Good luck and sorry for your concerns and worry. Keep us posted.

My best friend's husband was diagnosed probably about 6 years. They are still waiting for a time when it needs to be treated. He just got back from a diving trip to Belize in May and one to Arkansas last week. He works full-time and seems to be doing fine.

Also, I have another really good friend that had it about 3 years ago and was treated at MD Anderson. Saw her last week at her son's wedding. She looked prettier than I have ever seen her and says she is having no problems from the cancer.

Hope things go well for you, too.

pb

From what I understand, lymphoma is easier to treat than many other types of cancer.........

Best wishes and prayers your way.........:)

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the biopsy turns out OK.

Do appreciate all the kind words. I've been here a short time and have come to know some of you from your posts. Really are a great bunch of folks. I understand that I have to wait for the biopsy now and probably numerous tests after that. The waiting is just awful. Ironically I happen to be on vacation from work and have nothing but time on my hands. I was supposed to leave yesterday with my son to do some chores at our farmhouse in the country. I've got so much to do there. Any stories of surviving and coping are encouraging, so thank you. I think tomorrow is just going to be the initial consult. Anything I should ask?

Ratface, if you must assume the worst (you've really got it), at least try to also assume the very best (you'll beat it and get on with your life). One of my old bosses was diagnosed with lymphoma 15+ years ago when he was in his mid-50s'. He's still going strong.

I can only add to what has been said that you live in a country where everybody with means resorts to its medical facilities in these situations. All of us posters are feeling for you and admiring your courage. I, in your place would have collapsed/fainted for sure. Tomorrow I´m having an Echography, to see what the matter is with pains close to the prostate and I´m really scared of what can be found.
I´m terribly afraid of pain and hospital procedures.

I think tomorrow is just going to be the initial consult. Anything I should ask?
Since I haven't been through this type of thing, I can't help you on what to ask.

When you think of questions tonight, write them down and take the notes with you tomorrow. Perhaps you could tape the conversation and listen to it later as well. When I'm stressed, I have a difficult time remembering what was said.

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. FWIW, here's a role model for you: Gary Jobson.
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Meet Gary Jobson

"In 2003, Jobson was diagnosed with lymphoma. He is now cancer-free. "

Ironically, Gary was raising money for the Leukemia-Lymphoma society for years before he was diagnosed with it. I saw him many times speaking before our Leukemia Cup regattas before he got lymphoma, then saw him make the announcement that he had it. But he's a great fighter, and goes to show that it can be beat!

I had it, 13 years ago. I'm FINE!!! My mom had Hodgkins Lymphoma also at 40, and she is also FINE!!! (She is 76)

THere is Hodgkins (95% cure rate) and Non-Hodgkins (will need furthur biopsy) and staging before your MD can give you the type. Still high cure rate. Great outcomes and great treatments for many types, still one of the "best" cancers to get! LOL

Really, if you start to read, it will help as all the flood of info starts coming in. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is the best info source, but American Cancer Society, and the cancer centers all have informational websites.

The pathology of the biopsy cells is the crucial thing. It helps them choose treatment for the indicated cell type. it's worth a second opinion if there are any questions by your oncologist. DONT JUST ACCEPT what your gp thinks. Use an oncologist that treats lymphoma, or go to a cancer center hospital.

if i can help, let me know. I am a 53 year old Psychologist with a medical and hospital background. I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone or PM...

K.

The husband of a friend of mine was diagnosed with lymphoma in 1984. He underwent treatment and is doing fine. He continued to work as a police officer until he retired in 2000 by the way. I would also wait to see the results of the biopsy as another friend had a lump in some lymph nodes near her shoulder. She says her PCP and her surgeon were almost certain it was lymphoma. It was excised and turned out to be a lipoma(a fatty benign lump). Wishing you the best of luck!

Fingers crossed the results of the biopsy will be negative, but if positive, that a good course of treatment will be planned for you. What a shock for you--hang in there.

Do appreciate all the kind words...I think tomorrow is just going to be the initial consult. Anything I should ask?
:flowers:
This is my favorite place to go for anything medical.
Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living - MayoClinic.com
You can use the alphabet locator or the green colored bar near the search window.
I find the information is well written, easily understood as well as technical, and the web site is very well linked from one medical topic to the next.
Bring a notepad and pencil with you.
Bring someone close to you who can listen well without "numbing out".

My best advise is to take someone with you who will not only provide you with support, but think of those questions you may not think to ask and help you remember what they said. I did this when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and think it helped. After meeting with the doctors, mom and I would go have lunch or a cup of coffee and talk about everything that was discussed. She's fine now by the way. Over 6 years cancer free. We're planning a family trip to Rome next spring. Take care.

My posting was selfish knowing I would get some much needed sympathy but it really is perking me up tonight. Some great survival testimonials. I can only do so much research about it on the internet before it gets a bit depressing. I really don't have much to go on yet. I have a radiologist and GP convinced I have it and that is hard to doubt. All my blood work was normal. I ran 3 miles this morning and can probably lift a small refrigerator over my head. I haven't even had a cold in about 10 years. To say I was floored would be an understatement. All of that makes it worse, a little blindsighted, like getting KO'ed. I have optimism as it must be in the early stages since I still have zero sypmtoms, no fever, no night sweats, no weight loss, in fact I never felt better. I really just went in to schedule a colonoscopy because I turned fifty. Well I didn't get that done. Again thanks to all so much for your prayers and comforting words. Appt is at ten tomorrow morning, DW is going with me. Broke down and cried like a babbling idiot to the kids today, had to tell them, son and I were ready to leave for a working vacation and had to postpone. They seem to be taking it in stride, 15 and 20 y/o. DW came home early from work and is being wonderful. I'm lucky in that respect. Will update tomorrow.

Vincente good luck with your test also. I'm not as strong as you think. As I said I was a babbling idiot today.

Kitty 37 , appreciate the invite, you may here from me yet. Thks so much.

Vincente good luck with your test also. I'm not as strong as you think. As I said I was a babbling idiot today.
God and Nature willl surely be kind with somebody like you who has led a healthy lifestyle.
My case-smoker, never doing any real exercise and being careless about medical check-ups...that´s another matter.
I wouldn´t mind having been a babbling idiot if I knew I had the courage that everybody sees in you.
As you have noticed many members are with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My prayers are with you also ratface....it will all work out well....you are a blessed person with good health and a great family.....just show up, do the next right thing, and keep yourself healthy. Sometimes life gives us a blow, it just helps to make us realize what is really important in this world *hugs*

Back
Top Bottom