Did anyone see Dr. G, Medical Examiner, on How Not to Die?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just wondering if anyone caught that show last night? It was interesting, to say the least.

Let's just say it was interesting enough that my 30 y.o. stopped what he was doing, and watched it with me.
If nobody has ever watched the program, she autopsies cadavers and finds out the cause of death. Of course, the cause is always something other than the obvious. Always.
OK, here is the list of the leading causes of death that you can avoid (well, slow down the Grim Reaper, anyway):
1. Smoking (need I explain that one again?)
2. Obesity (enlarged heart, liver, plaque in arteries, etc.)
3. Alcohol (i.e., guy takes ex- on a trip, she asks he not drink as that is what broke up the marriage. He doesn't drink the first nite but one beer, goes into the shakes, falls headfirst in the tub and drowns. The cause of death is alcoholism, really, at base.)
4. Medications/lack of medical help (lack of taking them, lack of getting medical help, taking too many, self-medicating, etc. etc. etc.) Example was a guy who thought he had a spider bite on his back, took some antibiotics, gets totally sick and goes to bed for 3 days. It was a staph infection that worked it's way into a small cut and not a spider bite. Had he gone to a Dr. or hospital, he could have been saved. He was 35! His wife had the same thing, but her body could fight off the infection and his couldn't. So preventable...reminded me of Jim Henson's death of The Muppets who died like that with the flu.
5. Toxicity (i.e., a guy used a gas generator to heat his house, and the fumes seeped into his system killing him eventually)
Naturally, the examples were alot more complex and much more interesting than this list makes it sound. Good show if you get a chance to view it, do so is highly recommended.
She's an interesting gal who can put the most complex theories into simplistic terms for those of us with absolutely no scientific or medical backgrounds. I've never liked science, so, I figure, if I can enjoy her show...well, others should, tool

Sounds interesting. I setup a season pass for it on the TiVo. Thanks for the tip.

Actually, Dr. G is really interesting. I was turned on to it by a girlfriend who is a social worker in Texas, and, like I said, if someone like me who has no knowledge of science (or interest in it) likes this show, some of you should just love it. She's really like a detective overall. Try it, you'll like it...as the saying goes.

The one I watched last night was the couple who was found dead in the car. Man some real nut cases out there.

Back
Top Bottom