Did the flu shot in 2019 make you sick?

We got ours yesterday. DW got shots for flu & shingles (both in same arm). I got shots for flu, shingles and a tetanus (two in one arm and one in the other).

We both slept horribly, constantly turning and never able to get comfortable. This morning we both had headaches, muscle fatigue and felt generally "blah". :mad: Getting a little better this afternoon and I hope we're 100% by tomorrow.

I have had flu shots every year, the old shingles shot several years ago, and tetanus 10 years ago. Never had a reaction like this before. I don't know if it was one of the two / three, the combination, or just getting older.:confused:

I got mine a couple of weeks ago - sore arm for 3-4 days but no other effects.

Flu has hit here in recent weeks. A friend got it last week even though he'd had his flu shot. He went in to the quick clinic to get antibiotics for his "bronchitis" and they suggested a flu test. As it was covered by his insurance and just involved a quick nasal swab, he agreed just to humor the NP and was shocked when it came back positive. He got the Tamiflu and felt 85% better in 3 days.

I got my flu shot last Thursday at my local grocery store pharmacy. Barely felt the injection and had a slightly sore spot there for a few days. On Friday or Saturday I felt just a little less than great which I assume was probably from getting vaccinated. Most years I have little or no reaction besides the sore spot on my arm. A few years ago I had aches and feeling kind of sick for a day so this years shot went just fine compared to that.

This store offers a $5 reward added to your shopper card so that was a nice perk!

While I was there I asked if they had Shingrix. They hadn't had any in a while. I asked about a waiting list and they said they stopped taking names for a list as they had over 100 people already waiting. They don't expect to get any until next summer!

DW and I got our flu shots yesterday, hers the normal and mine was the senior edition. No problems at all, only very minor soreness as usual every year.

Glad I did my Shingrix shots earlier, I've heard it's still hard to find.

We got flu shots Sunday. Spouse got regular shot, I got senior. She had pain at injection site and a small bruise and felt tired, maybe at 85% of normal energy. I had no pain and no swelling no bruising. I felt quite warm off and on for a couple days, almost like a viral load replication and was at maybe 85% of normal energy. But got most of energy back today. Second day I had an energy crash in afternoon and went to McDonalds for supplemental protein.

I’ve never had a flu shot, but a friend’s DD contracted pneumonia a few days after getting a flu shot. Not sure if the shot actually caused the pneumonia or not.

DH and I had the senior version of the flu shot 10/16. I had a bit of a sore arm for a day or so and DH was fine.

Got the flu shot last Saturday morning...only some minor shoulder stiffness later that evening and the next morning. No other side effects.

Lumpy

Got my flu shot and a pneumonia shot this morning. Both arms a little sore but not bad. Planning to play golf tomorrow.

I got the pneumonia shot and now I have a mild case of pneumonia. I do have a weakened immune system. I was shocked when the Doctor told me.

I got the pneumonia shot and now I have a mild case of pneumonia. I do have a weakened immune system. I was shocked when the Doctor told me.

Interesting. Like a lot of vaccines, the info. about the pneumonia shot says
it's not possible to catch a pneumococcal infection from the vaccine, as the vaccine does not contain any live bacteria. Did you ask your doctor if he thought you did get pneumonia from the shot, and if so, what did he say?

Could be a coincidence where you were getting pneumonia before you got the shot. Something like that happened to me as a kid. I got vaccinated for measles, then came down with them a week or so.

Could be a coincidence where you were getting pneumonia before you got the shot. Something like that happened to me as a kid. I got vaccinated for measles, then came down with them a week or so.
I did have a slight cough before the vaccine but I have Copd so I always have a cough .A week after the shot I felt feverish , muscle aches and started coughing a lot . I had a chest xray and it is a mild pneumonia.

I had a slight cough before I got the shot but I have COPD so I always cough. The week after I started feeling feverish , muscle aches and coughing a lot . I had a chest Xray and it is a mild pneumonia.I may have been getting something and the shot just aclerated it .

This year the flu shot did impact me. I have had minor upper respiratory issues since I got the shot. First time ever and I have been getting it for years.

Don't think I have ever gotten a flu shot. Got the flu once about 25 years ago, worst week ever. My wife got the flu shot a few years ago and her arm was sore for about 3 years.
She doesn't want any more flu shots.

One time (out of a dozen) the next day my shoulder felt like I had bumped into something. Lasted most of the day. If I had not received a flu shot in that arm the day before I can't imagine I would even have noticed it.

But I think people naturally associate anything that happens after an unusual event with that event. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I work remote and spend 2 weeks of every 4 billeted at a "man camp" in the
Arctic. My coworkers commute from all over the USA and many of them have
kids at home in public schools in their various states. As such, I live in
probably the most intense disease exposure environment possible. I get
exposed to whatever is going around in communities all over the USA. I
always get the annual flu shot and have for 20 years. I am absolutely
convinced it has enough utility to warrant getting it. I don't believe I've ever
had an adverse reaction beyond local soreness from flu shots.

I have had adverse reactions to other immunizations. I lived in Asia as a kid
(Philippines and Thailand) and worked ex-pat in my earlier career (Angola and
Equatorial Guinea) and as such, have probably had as many immunizations as
anyone alive. Cholera shots used to really put me down for several days. I was born in Holland and received the european version of the smallpox vaccine as an infant. That vaccine had a tendency to cause a localized scar much more than the USA version. I still have a very noticeable smallpox immunization scar 60 years later.

The second shingrix shot I took about a month ago seemed to cause a
malaise for several days and a really sore arm. The flu shot I had 2 weeks ago
was a non-event.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom