Do you believe in taking Vitamin?

I am in the camp that vitamins and supplements are a waste of money. My sister buys all sorts of supplements/vitamins from her chiropractor who seems to have become her health guru. Makes me angry. Many of the supplement/vitamin sales are just multi-level marketing.

DH was recently diagnosed with Hemachromatosis (iron overload). We had recently switched docs due to our ACA plan. Our new doc took a more proactive approach to a "high" on standard blood test, whereas our prior doc had always been more..."eh...that's a bit high but you have no other symptoms so we'll just keep an eye on that."

Good thing she was more insistent and more thorough, sent him to a hematologist and yup the ferritin test confirmed everything. DH will now be going to donate blood at least once a quarter, and should be fine from that, and of course will now monitor and avoid things like multi-vitamins.

Yeah, my ferritin level was approaching 500 (can't recall the units now). First two doctors said that could not be the reason for my symptoms, even though all the literature says your ferritin should be below 200, and ideally below 100. Third doctor said he didn't think excess iron was the problem either, but it couldn't hurt to donate blood to get it down a bit. So I started donating blood, and with each donation I felt better. Now I donate blood 3 times per year, and I feel fine.
Beware of the "reference ranges" used for blood tests like ferritin by most doctors/labs. The reference range my first two docs used said anything under 500 was okay, which is crazy. Apparently that is based on ferritin results from all people who get tested.......many of whom are probably not healthy! I dug into the literature on iron overload myself, and that is WAY too high. Japan and most European countries put the upper limit on ferritin at about 200-300. And the researchers who have studied iron overload recommend an ideal ferritin level of around 60-80. If you have a ferritin level of 400 or more and ignore it, you will probably be headed for serious health issues eventually.........cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, heart disease are just a few of the things that can result from too much iron in your system.

Because of a family history, I went to a cardiologist a few years ago for a full workup. Heart Scan showed some calcification, so the wakeup call in my early 50's. LDL levels were a bit high, too. Among other things, my Vit D levels were low, so he recommended a dosage level. Also recommended an Omega 3. Came back a couple of months later and the needle had only moved part of the way, so he had my double my dose. After that, my D levels have been spot on. Doc didn't push any brands or try to sell anything; I purchase mine at Costco. I also take a multi + Vit C. Might do nothing, but what the heck. Heart scan shows calcification is increasing at a significantly lower rate from before.

Pretty much nobody with a balanced diet needs extra vitamins unless there is a medical issue such as low vitamin D. Vegans probably ought to take B12.

We evolved to get what we need from our food, like every other species on the planet. Unfortunately we also evolved to love stories.

We evolved to get what we need from our food, like every other species on the planet.

Yes. At the same time, sadly, much of the soil where our food is grown has become quite depleted of the minerals we need. That, and the long transportation times for many of our fruits and vegetables to get to market, cuts down on what we actually get (in the way of key nutrients) from the food we eat.

omni

Last edited:
I take one fish oil capsule with dinner, since it reduces my lipids number quite a bit. Also the occasional calcium pill (Tums generic) but that's only due to stomach acid. I get very tired an hour after taking a multivitamin pill, so I don't take them at all.

I take a handful of vitamins and supplements. If I don't I get a sharp pain in the neck from the one who kept me ticking after Vfib till medical professionals arrived.

Just this one

schlitz-sunshine-vitamin-d-beer-183-20-f.JPG

Last edited:
Pretty much nobody with a balanced diet needs extra vitamins unless there is a medical issue such as low vitamin D. Vegans probably ought to take B12.

We evolved to get what we need from our food, like every other species on the planet. Unfortunately we also evolved to love stories.
+1 Never took vitamins or supplements on a regular basis. Maybe a protein drink after workout when I was younger, vitamin D but not on a regular basis. Blood work, digestion, mood all normal.

With the supplement industry largely unregulated, what are you actually getting in the little bottle?
Labdoor is attempting to answer this need with lab analysis and product rankings. Read the about page for more info.

https://labdoor.com/rankings

Last edited:
Interestingly my Vitamin D was almost nonexistent. Supplements have raised my levels. Turns out my sisters and daughter have also been low on Vitamin D.

My MD convinced me to take an epogenectics DNA test. Background, Menopause has hit me hard. Hot flashes going on 2 years and admittedly my mood /attitude can be down right nasty at times. My husband who adores me even says I need a puppy upper sometimes.

I can't take hormones. Not an option medically due to a strong family history of strokes.

So this DNA test I took shows a link to anxiety,depression, and insomnia. MD recommended Methlylated Vitamin B sublingual and oral multi B vitamins. I even discussed the cost of her supplements and asked for alternative options. Her reply was other vitamins weren't "pure" while hers were. Can you say red flag. She also said I would need to stay on supplements forever not just 1 month.

If I will feel better great. Problem solved. I just don't believe the sales side of the equation. This MD is a salesman in my book. I am a nurse and I believe selling a product just isn't right for a qualified good doc. I will find a new MD.

But I am left with issues that can't or I won't treat with pharmaceuticals.

Take her supplements for awhile while you research other options. We found the same label/brand on line for some of the supplements and have started buying from the on line source. Others we’ve started researching to find equivalents. I’m not going to argue that your Dr is not conflicted, but I would suggest that it’s also that she thinks she doing the best for you. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. There are some very dubious supplements out there. Look at even the pharmaceutical industry and how that blood pressure medicine got contaminated. You do want a reliable product. Your Dr. is, however, not the only one that sells good product.

Yes. At the same time, sadly, much of the soil where our food is grown has become quite depleted of the minerals we need. That, and the long transportation times for many of our fruits and vegetables to get to market, cuts down on what we actually get (in the way of key nutrients) from the food we eat.

omni

+1. I will agree that it is preferable to get your vitamins and other nutrients from food rather than from supplements. But unless you grow an organic vegetable garden and eat veggies harvested from it on a regular basis, you are probably not eating the same quality of food that our bodies have evolved with. And I'm pretty sure most of us don't get near as much sunshine on a regular basis as our ancestors did (Vitamin D). And how much cold water fish and wild game meat do most of us eat these days? My guess is that we don't consume nearly the amounts of these things that our ancestors did. So I don't think you can really say that eating a "balanced diet" these days assures that we are getting all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that our bodies need for optimum performance. So I do take some supplements, but I also strive to eat as much high-quality food as I can (veggies from my garden, grass-fed beef, pastured eggs, etc) as I can, just to cover all the bases.

As far as I know, every clinical trial regarding vitamin supplements failed. The only exception is taking a vitamin to treat a specific deficiency in that particular vitamin. They test whether Vit. E. prevented heart disease or breast cancer (it did not); folic acid and B6 did not prevent heart disease as claimed by a doctor author; vitamin C did not prevent colds; etc. etc. All that being said, I do take a broad spectrum multiple like Centrum or Theragram-M. I will say this, my wife was suffering from heart flutters, the cardiologist recommended magnesium, and it worked. The palpitations stopped.

My insurance changed and I picked an MD off the PPO list. Turns out she is a homeopathic GP.

A pet peeve of mine is that folks misuse homeopathy and homeopathic all the time. It sounds good, but it means something completely different than what the OP thinks. I doubt this doctor considers themselves a homeopathic GP.

Eating a "balanced diet" is all well and good, but it's not hard to miss a few necessary vitamins and minerals.

Take iodine, it used to be fairly common for people to have iodine deficiency (goiters). Iodized salt solved this for many, but now many people are buying fancy salts that, huh, don't have added iodine.

Others have mentioned D, which is often missing during wintertime.

I take a multivitamin. It don't see any downside (and it's maybe 10¢ a day).

As far as I know, every clinical trial regarding vitamin supplements failed.

This is a widely-accepted myth. You only hear about the failures because they make good copy. A few examples of successes:

(rdbpc = randomized, double blind, placebo controlled)
Vitamin D has been shown to reduce cancer 35% in a rdbpc trial (taken with calcium the reduction was 75%).
Vitamin D has been shown to prevent the flu (25% type A only) in 2 rdbpc trials.
Vitamin C has been shown to reduce the duration and severity of the common cold (but not its frequency).
Selenium has been shown to reduce cancer risk (incidence or death 27-58%) in a few rdbpc trials.
Selenium (with CoQ10) lowered the risk of dying from heart disease 45-50% in a rdbpc trial.

I could go on for pages, but instead refer you to the University of Michigan Health Library. The references are rated based on quality: size of group, type (observation < epidemiology < clinical trial < rdbpc trial), etc. A lot of good studies aren't referenced here, but it's a good start.

Last edited:
When I went looking for a more "holistic" doctor for "health care"*, I called a bunch of offices. I asked a few questions, then gently transitioned into "are supplements available from your office". They usually fell all over themselves trying to assure me that it was "just for patient convenience", but that's a deal-breaker for me. Even if they were pure as the driven snow, there still would be that tiny voice wondering if they'd have me taking this supplement if it didn't add to the bottom line. Practically every office I contacted sold supplements!

The other thing about supplements (as long as I'm ranting) is that there's so little data on side-effects. I agree with msieweke that there are lots of good studies on the benefits of certain supplements. You can read about what these studies say (without actually trying to groc the actual study) if you read the Life Extension "magazine" (more like a supplement catalog). But the articles do have a list of references that's pretty good. But back to my beef: side effects. I happen to know that synthetic vitamin E causes me to have PVC's (heart flutters). I also suspect joint issues with vitamin A and muscle issues with B-Complex. None of these are "serious", and when you read the studies, they always say "no serious side effects were noted". But if you're taking the supplement for a unverified small health gain and it causes a definite small side effect, you're not doing yourself any favors by taking the supplement.

* I've always seen "sick care" doctors in the past, and wanted to blow through some dough on myself and my health.

I agree that supplement interactions can be complex. And you're on your own choosing supplements and dosages because your doctor probably knows nothing about them. My motto is "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it." Some things are unexpected, though.

Some vitamins/minerals are dependent on others. Before I started taking magnesium, vitamin B3 would give me panic attacks. It turns out magnesium is needed to metabolize B3. Now I can take B3 without side effects.

When I started B12 I developed a twitch in my cheek for a few weeks. B12 ramps up some processes (DNA and cellular reproduction) that use a lot of potassium, causing a temporary deficiency.

I can't take fish oil. Don't know why, but it gives me brain fog. Same for milk thistle extract, which is supposed to be good for the liver.

Manganese made me feel terrible - very sensitive to artificial scents, leading to a terrible headache.

Despite these issues, I am a big fan of supplementation. I especially like the ones that help the immune system (A, C, D, selenium, zinc, iodine). I think they are the reason I haven't been sick since 2015. When I did get sick with the flu (self-diagnosed based on fever), I was over it in 48-72 hours.

From Johns Hopkins

This is a widely-accepted myth. You only hear about the failures because they make good copy. A few examples of successes:

(rdbpc = randomized, double blind, placebo controlled)
Vitamin D has been shown to reduce cancer 35% in a rdbpc trial (taken with calcium the reduction was 75%).
Vitamin D has been shown to prevent the flu (25% type A only) in 2 rdbpc trials.
Vitamin C has been shown to reduce the duration and severity of the common cold (but not its frequency).
Selenium has been shown to reduce cancer risk (incidence or death 27-58%) in a few rdbpc trials.
Selenium (with CoQ10) lowered the risk of dying from heart disease 45-50% in a rdbpc trial.

I could go on for pages, but instead refer you to the University of Michigan Health Library. The references are rated based on quality: size of group, type (observation < epidemiology < clinical trial < rdbpc trial), etc. A lot of good studies aren't referenced here, but it's a good start.

This is from Johns Hopkins. I trust them:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea.../is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins

Harvard has a slightly more positive opinion: Do Multivitamins Make You Healthier

It's a good thing I don't take a multivitamin. Most multivitamins contain the cheapest form of each vitamin or mineral, leading to mixed results at best. For example: The most common form of E in supplements is alpha-tocopheryl acetate (as found in Centrum Silver). This study showed alpha-tocopheryl acetate actually lowered the serum level of gamma- and delta-tocopherol, which seem to be the beneficial forms of E.

Likewise, folate is the natural form of B9. Folic acid is the most common form of B9 in most vitamins, but it has to be converted by the liver into folate to be active. Several factors may impair the conversion, leading to a buildup of folic acid in the body. Some studies show potential harm in having chronically high levels of un-metabolized folic acid. This article summarizes the issues.

It's best to get vitamins in something close to natural form.

Another interesting note is that the JH researcher Larry Appel MD - who spoke out against multivitamins - also published this study on vitamin C and blood pressure and concluded "In short-term trials, vitamin C supplementation reduced SBP and DBP. Long-term trials on the effects of vitamin C supplementation on BP and clinical events are needed." So he's not against all vitamins, just multis.

Yes

I have always taken a multi vitamin and am seldom sick which I believe is because of eating healthy and supplements.

In regards to the vitamin D, absolutely true. I took my friend to a neurologist because she was having severe memory issues. She couldn’t remember how to find her way home from work as an example. She had to take a leave of absence from her job due to the issues. The neurologist found nothing wrong and suggested she take antidepressants and see a psychiatrist. Most docs never are interested in getting to the bottom of anything and unfortunately they believe antidepressants are the cure-all.

I suggested she not take antidepressants because it will simply create other issues and mask the underlying problem. Instead I had her see my doctor who does believe in holostic methods. He found her to be severely deficient in vitamin D and suggested she supplement. My friend was angry because she didn’t believe this could be the cause of her memory problems. I told her it was cheap to try and has no side effects and certainly a better choice than antidepressants suggested by the neurologist. Plus it is true vitamin D deficiencies can cause memory issues. She agreed to give it a try. Been a year now and she has no memory issues now.

So yes I do believe some doctors go overboard on the supplements, but I do believe in supplementing. Listen to your own body and wallet. If it doesn’t make you feel better or stay healthier, then don’t bother. But if it does, stick with it.

I am in excellent health at age 67 and I do not require any prescription medication. I am retired and I bike 30 minutes to the gym every day to work out for at least 1 hour in the morning.

However, my optomistrist noticed that I have "dry eye" and he recommended taking fish oil tablets. The fish oil tablets worked! I am now using less artificial tears.

A few years ago, I get seasonal flu like most people and my doctor recommended taking some vitamins C to help my immune system. The Vitamin C worked! When I do get the flu it only last 1 or 2 days instead of 3 to 4 days. Any fever that I get is about 101 degrees rather than 103 degrees plus.

Finally, I decided to go on a diet and lose about 20 lbs to get down to my optimal weight for my height. Since I am over 65, I consulted my doctor on my diet and my doctor recommended taking a multiple vitamin designed for older people.

All my vitamins were recommended by a professional optomistrist or a doctor to address a specific need. I am just happy that I am not taking any medication except for vitamins.

I have taken vitamins and will continue to do so but low quality vitamins can cause harm as well. I am having more improved health from Intermittent fasting. (Delay Don't Deny) 16 hour fast/8 hours eating window-feel better-losing inches

I also take biocidin and elederberry syrup when I feel a cold coming on. the combo of both knocks it out.

My doctor suggested I take vitamin D after seeing slightly low levels on a blood test. First of all I would not buy vitamins from the doctor for the conflict of interest concern you mentioned. Vitamins are already widely available over the counter and probably much cheaper. If your doctor can show you blood test results or other evidence you need additional vitamins then I would consider them. If she discussed your diet with you and suggested changes that would be good too. But if she is going to be annoying about buying supplements from then I would change doctors. She really can’t be objective about her medical care.

Back
Top Bottom