What supplements do you take? Benefits?

Markola

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The daily aspirin thread going on prompted me to think about the small fistful of daily supplements I take. Contrary to the NYT articles, all of which seem to say “It’s a waste of money,” I’ve benefited. Mine currently are:

1. A One-A-Day multivitamin since my 20s. The first thing I noticed was some warts on my hands disappeared and have never returned. I can’t specify other benefits but so far, so good.

2). Vitamin D, because I live up north where one can’t get enough through sunshine. It’s supposed to help with mood but I don’t know.

3). Biotin makes my nails look healthier.

4). Turmeric/pepperine. I’ve been doing this one for 2.5 years in an attempt to address my lifetime of borderline triglycerides readings. The effect has been nothing short of dramatic for me. For the first time in my life, the three blood lipids panels I’ve had since I started this are all entirely normal.

What do you take, if any, and have you seen tangible benefits?

My vitamin D runs low, and I supplement it per my PCP. I can't quantify any benefit.

Turmeric because it helps the burning pain in a few fingers. I was surprised when I mentioned it to my cspine doctor, who said it's a proven anti inflation medication.

I take niacin to help my inner ear self level. An ENT suggested this. I can definitely tell a difference in my balance.

Probiotics seem to make my digestion work better.

None, just eat a balanced diet to get all the vitamins and minerals I need.

I take a multivitamin, magnesium (leg cramps), calcium and D. The major " leap of faith" supplement I take is Nicotinamide Rubiside (NR), an NAD+ precursor. I started taking it about 5 years ago when I read an article about a research project (at NIH I think) studying it for potential value in cell health as we age. At the time IIRC they had demonstrated significant increases in circulating NAD+ and the researchers were so enthused about the potential that many of them had started taking NR supplements. I figured what's the worse thing that could happen ;) and started taking it too. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease which has progressed very, very slowly. That may very well simply be the way it would have progressed in any event. But NR is currently being studied in PD populations based on a hypothesis that it may increase NAD+ in cells, which may in turn improve mitochondrial function. A number of researchers believe mitochondria deterioration may contribute to PD. So, I keep taking it and keep my fingers crossed that it may be helpful. I see conflicting reports from time to time but nothing that prompted me to stop.

On a different note, my wife and I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin about thirty years ago when it made a significant difference for our arthritic old Golden Retriever. We figured she was not subject to the placebo effect so it must be working for her (forgetting that observers can be affected). :) About ten year later I read a meta-analysis that debunked the supplement, and we dropped it. I have heard rumblings lately that maybe it is useful after all so it may be time to take a fresh look.

Last edited:
Sr Multivit--general nutrition boost
Calcium--osteoporosis and don't tolerate milk products very well
Glucosamine/chondrotin--bone and joint health
Alaska Salmon oil--heart/brain health, among other benefits

Fall/Winter months; add Force Factor Immunity three times weekly--general immunity boost for colds/flu (haven't had either one in years, even though around grandkids)

Like you, I've been taking an adult daily multi-vitamin for years. I tend to buy the store brand or whatever is on sale when my big bottle is empty.

During the pandemic, I started taking a vitamin D supplement to try and pump up my immune system. I'm taking a single 125mcg pill per day. I also try to get as much sunlight on my body as I can in the summer. I'm not sure about the vitamin D, but I think that taking off my shirt while running around the lake (sorry neighbors!) cleared up a patch of ezcema on my shoulder. At least for a while. I was getting enough sun to be pretty pink afterwards, but no burning, itching, or peeling skin in the following days.

My "out there" supplement is a NutriBiotic Defense Plus tablet which has 207% of the daily vitamin C, 33% of the daily Zinc and then 250mg of Grapefruit Seed Extract. My girlfriend recommended this to me. My goal is to try and avoid the 10 - 14 day flu that has been my lot in life for the past few years. Since starting this regimen I've had a 2 - 3 day "cold" twice, but nothing worse. Totally anecdotal and I could certainly come down with the flu tomorrow, but the pills are fairly cheap so my plan is to stick with these supplements for now.

I take a once a day multivitamin, just because I would rather not have to worry about trace elements in my diet; 1000mg time release vitamin C, just for the antioxidants; 400mg CoQ10, on the advice of my doctor, because when I even reduced the amount to 200mg, my PVCs (heart flutters) came back; and Lutein 40mg because my dad had macular degeneration, and I'm playing it safe (even though I know the research has shown the benefit really for diabetics, which I am not).

Only what my doc recommends. I save a lot of money that way.

B12/Folate
Turmeric/Bromelin
Omega3

Balance of Nature fruits and veggies

Take the turmeric as directed by Chiro for joint pain/ arthritis issues.
Take the rest as directed by DW - I don't know what for.

Vitamin D per my PCP as I tested low. Does not make any difference that I notice except the number on the blood test went up a little.

I tried coq10 for a year or so made no difference that I could notice so I stopped.

My call:
Multivitamin. $0.06/day.

Dr. recommended:
D3.
B12 injection 1/month. Can't absorb B12 when taken orally.
Nicotinamide (a.k.a. Niacinamide and a.k.a. vitamin B3) reduces the number of skin cancers by about 23%.

Last edited:
My doctor told me to take both b and d because they were too low so I do. I am outside at least a hour every day and Reno gets 300 days of sunshine but I guess I need more than the sun.

Vitamin D.

My recurring PSA: Do not assume being in the sun means you get enough. I'm far more outdoors and tanned that my dermatologist likes, but I routinely bump along the lowest line on the D test.

I also take Biotin for hair/nails but can't see a difference really.

1000 mg B12 and 1000iu D3. I noticed an energy boost when I first started taking the B12, but nothing noticeable since. Never noticed any effect from the D3. Blood tests show I'm good on both now, so I keep taking them.

Yeast, malt and hops. Taken with water.

Benefits unclear. More investigation needed.

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in November 2020. I take Restore Gold as a supplement that is supposed to slow progression of the disease. I also take D3, Turmeric with bioperine, Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc .

https://wehaveparkinsons.com/products/restore-gold/

donheff, I messaged you about Nicotinamide Rubiside (NR), seems to be LOTS of choices and varieties?

Multivitamin
Turmeric
Calcium/Vitamin D
Magnesium
Fish/Krill Oil
2 Brazil Nuts

Wow, I'm at the top end of supplements taken and probably have the least confidence that they actually do any good.:LOL:
However, I'm pretty confident that these "first do no harm", as none are taken at extreme levels and most not even taken at the recommended level.

Vitamin D.

At my physical 11 years ago my physician only recommended D. Less in the summer, more in the winter.

Fast forward to my physical last month. The physician only recommended D. Nothing else.

I asked about other supplements. She said do not bother. Your health is good, your bloodwork is excellent. Just continue to do what you are doing...eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

Vitamin D.

At my physical 11 years ago my physician only recommended D. Less in the summer, more in the winter.

Fast forward to my physical last month. The physician only recommended that I take vitamin D. Nothing else.

I asked about other supplements. She said do not bother. Your health is good, your bloodwork is excellent. Just continue to do what you are doing...eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

I cannot imagine taking supplements unless recommend by a physician for a specific reason or to address a specific issue. I am not a good friend to the MLM crowd!

Back
Top Bottom