Do you like eating Spam ? DW and I argue about Spam

I haven't had Spam in 40 years or so. I remember the taste was ok but the smell not all that great when frying. May try a can soon just for the hell of it. Im sure my dog will eat it if I don"t like.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
From what I've read, there's nothing unsavory about Spam
The stuff 'we' were making, and the slaughterhouse was adjacent to the plant, had (IMO) an excessive percentage of pork fat relative to pork meat.

Yes, Spam does have a lot of fat, not other pork organs.

But, but, but is that not what bacon is, which is loved by so many?

Yes, high in fat. But isn't fat a 'savory' flavor?

Even when I did occasionally eat it, it was in small amounts, about the same as a slice or two of bacon.

-ERD50

Took this photo a couple of months ago on the north shore of Oahu. Couldn't even fit all the varieties in! :)

2ldj7yv.jpg

It's the perfect addition to one's doomsday pantry. Someone once said "It has the shelf life of a rock!"

My dad has always loved Spam (he turned 95 years old in March)

Why yes I like SPAM, but especially when in Hawaii with eggs and rice, go figure, it just tastes better over there. :LOL:

Queue Monty Python
P.S. According to Wikipedia this sketch was the influence behind the naming of spam email.

Last edited:
Yes, high in fat. But isn't fat a 'savory' flavor?

Even when I did occasionally eat it, it was in small amounts, about the same as a slice or two of bacon...

Fat by itself is fairly bland, but add a bit of salt, some flavorings such as smoke, and the combination drives people crazy. Oh, I just describe bacon too.

Anyway, here's what Wikipedia has to say about Spam.

Spam was introduced by Hormel in 1937. Ken Daigneau, brother of a company executive, won a $100 prize that year in a competition to name the new item. Hormel claims that the meaning of the name "is known by only a small circle of former Hormel Foods executives"...

The difficulty of delivering fresh meat to the front during World War II saw Spam become a ubiquitous part of the U.S. soldier's diet. It became variously referred to as "ham that didn't pass its physical", "meatloaf without basic training", and "Special Army Meat". Over 150 million pounds of Spam were purchased by the military before the war's end.

Domestically, Spam's chief advantages were affordability, accessibility, and extended shelf life. However, in spite of Hormel using quality pork shoulder to make their product, rather than the lips, tongue, and snouts used by competitors, consumers could not tell the difference by their appearance.

So, according to the above, if you do not care for lips, tongue, and snouts in your luncheon meat, you should insist on Spam by the brand name instead of competitors' products.

Hmmm... How about a taste test between different brands to see for yourself? This could be the subject of a good thread for someone a with discerning palate, as most people could not tell the difference.

Last edited:
When my father was growing up on a farm during the Depression, they used "everything but the squeal" from a pig. I had a friend who grew up poor on a farm in the 60s who did the same. It was just common sense not to waste anything.

My Chinese friends just love a treat of chicken feet.

And then you get into preferences about organ meats, which I personally think are offal good, but many wouldn't touch.

I very occasionally have it, best to be grilled as many suggested. I always have it in scrambled eggs with cheese. I don't see it as any worse for you than bacon or sausage, those are also high in sodium and fat. The perception of Spam in different areas of the country is quite amusing.

The perception of Spam in different areas of the country is quite amusing.

My mother (from Hawaii) used to happily make spam musubi until my father shamed her with the comment, "You know, people from the mainland laugh at people who eat spam." So she stopped making spam musubi. But I did notice that my father (also from Hawaii) would sliver tiny bits of spam into his saimin (aka Top Ramen) regularly.

.....NOW, when we were young we had spam all the time (we were poor)... mom used to slice it, put brown sugar and a slice of pineapple on top and bake it in the oven.... was actually pretty good from what I remember...

We had Spam sandwiches for the same poor reason, and I liked them.
I haven't eaten any for many decades, and now DW will not let me. :angel:

Hmmm... How about a taste test between different brands to see for yourself? This could be the subject of a good thread for someone a with discerning palate, as most people could not tell the difference.

Great idea! You go first....:D

Funny timing on this forum. We in Maui recently and very amused by the big Spam display at the Costco in Kahului. On sale too!

When we returned, it turned out Costco had the same sale at home, but only one palette, and under one of the row shelves, not a big setup out on the floor.]

So - if you like spam - $5 off at Costco until May1!!! $14.99 for 8 12oz cans (I think it says). Limit 2. http://www.adamcos.com/Costco/unishow.php?sd=20160407&pg=9&lg=0

Attachments

• 160413_IMG_2329_Costco_Display.jpg
    160413_IMG_2329_Costco_Display.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
My mother (from Hawaii) used to happily make spam musubi until my father shamed her with the comment, "You know, people from the mainland laugh at people who eat spam." So she stopped making spam musubi. But I did notice that my father (also from Hawaii) would sliver tiny bits of spam into his saimin (aka Top Ramen) regularly.
See my post above. Apparently someone on the mainland eats Spam or it wouldn't be for sale in our RGV Costco.

And tell your Dad no one eats saimin on the mainland, LOL!

Last edited:
You know when a hurricane is coming. NO bread or milk in any grocery stores, and pallets of spam in the aisles.

Great hurricane food-- far tastier than those boxes of dried salmon or the sleeves of "meat" jerky!

BTW there is plenty of real ham available on Oahu. There are lots of pig farms all along the base of the Pali (mountains), or at least there were 50 years ago. Still, it's a bit expensive. Also there are wild boar throughout the rain forests, huge ones, much to the delight of local hunters. Bake one all day in an imu for a luau.
Bummer. You don't want to visit here again if you have those memories.

I think that today there are more feral pigs on the island than domestic.

I have a friend who was born in Guam, his mother is Guamanian (dad was US born and caucasian.) He claims that spam is the national food of Guam. They have more flavors and types there than anywhere. He has his cousins ship him some of the ones he can't find stateside.

I guess the nature of living on an island is why it's so popular in Guam and Hawaii.
Although Hawaii has the highest per-capita consumption by state, Guam has the highest per-capita consumption in the world.

The Spam Museum in Austin, Minn. is well worth stopping to see if you're passing through that area. It's not far off the Interstate and has been recently remodeled too! We were there in 2012 and it was really a hoot.
I visited in 2011 and spent an enjoyable couple of hours there. Well worth the visit if you're in the region.
We were there last weekend! They just had their "soft re-opening" after 18 months of renovations. The grand opening is in July.

We spent a couple hours wandering around, and that's where I found the Hawaii/Guam consumption statistic quoted above.

Attachments

• DSCN3633.JPG
    DSCN3633.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN3609.JPG
    DSCN3609.JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN3629.JPG
    DSCN3629.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN3606.JPG
    DSCN3606.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3615.JPG
    DSCN3615.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 12
Love the pics and facts, Nords!!!!

We saw fried spam musubi delivered at Da Kitchen restaurant in Kahului.

da-kitchen1.jpg

Last edited:
When my father was growing up on a farm during the Depression, they used "everything but the squeal" from a pig. I had a friend who grew up poor on a farm in the 60s who did the same. It was just common sense not to waste anything.

My Chinese friends just love a treat of chicken feet.

And then you get into preferences about organ meats, which I personally think are offal good, but many wouldn't touch.

Offal is awful, unless it's in fancy sausages. Then I love it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom