DR Oz and HGH

Posting a naked link like that is frowned upon here. Is there a point you want to make?

Anyone who even listens to Dr. Oz should be given some leeway... at least, until they wakeup.

Well, don't be too upset. This was nothing compared to the responses I received to my first like post... it was brutal.

Sorry, I didn't want to copy the entire article.

Given the number of complaints, I will refrain from such efforts.

No need to refrain from posting links--but people are unlikely to visit a link if they don't know what it is about and why it piqued your interest. This is one of the reasons the community rules include:

Please do not post “naked” links, defined as links posted without explanation, interpretation or context.

Also note that posting an entire article is also not allowed, as explained here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/copyright-the-dmca-and-cut-and-paste-62748.html This policy protects the owners of this board from claims of copyright infringement.

[/mod hat off]

I did click on your link above, and it is about four amino acids that may foster HGH production by one's own body. I'm refraining from mentioning Lance Armstrong. Oh wait. :).

I did click on your link above, and it is about four amino acids that may foster HGH production by one's own body. I'm refraining from mentioning Lance Armstrong. Oh wait. :).

I guess I am still figuring out what kind of content is appropriate. I am 50 and am struggling with some issues related to being 50 and being as active as I was when I was 30 or even 40.

I have just started taking testosterone injections and generally like the results. But I hate being dependent on a chemical. I am interested in sharing my journey, but this may not be the place.

The HGH article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.

I am interested in sharing my journey, but this may not be the place.

Oh, this is definitely the place for you. Just hang in there and you will find there are more knowledgeable people (and some extremely so) here on a very broad range of subjects as you will find anywhere. You will, further, find that (for the most part) they will all have your best interests in mind -- and/or they will be actively searching and struggling for answers same as you. Either way, [-]they [/-] we are your peers.

I guess I am still figuring out what kind of content is appropriate. I am 50 and am struggling with some issues related to being 50 and being as active as I was when I was 30 or even 40.

I have just started taking testosterone injections and generally like the results. But I hate being dependent on a chemical. I am interested in sharing my journey, but this may not be the place.

The HGH article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.

If you'd posted this when you posted the link, you would have likely gotten the discussion you're looking for. There are several health-related threads going about low carbs, work outs, etc., and I imagine some of those posters would be interested in your progress.

But I do take a multi-vitamin and a multi-mineral. I also take 4000IU vitamin D daily.

The multi-vitamin is good.

That is a lot of Vitamin D though... unless you live in a cave. And even if, Vitamin D still needs direct sunlight to activate in the body. I don't have evidence at my fingertips but I seem to recall that bad things can happen with excess artificial Vitamin D.

The multi-vitamin is good.

That is a lot of Vitamin D though... unless you live in a cave. And even if, Vitamin D still needs direct sunlight to activate in the body. I don't have evidence at my fingertips but I seem to recall that bad things can happen with excess artificial Vitamin D.

It is not an accidental number. I had my blood tested before taking this amount and had a measurement of 32. I am now at 67... which is where I want to be.

My target range is 60-80.

I will probably go to 5000 daily during the winter as my sun exposure will be minimal during ski season.

Not sure about the activation. Sunlight is required to convert Vitamin A (edit... cholesterol ) into Vitamin D.

Also, the vitamin D I am taking is the D3 variety.

Last edited:
I am curious why you know you blood levels of vitamin D. Do you know other blood levels for other assorted vitamins and substances? How do you pick which ones to test and how often do you need to measure them?

I am curious why you know you blood levels of vitamin D. Do you know other blood levels for other assorted vitamins and substances? How do you pick which ones to test and how often do you need to measure them?

+1

The HGH part of this article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.

Supercharge Your Body: 5 Ways in 5 Days | The Dr. Oz Show
After following the link, my first impression was SPAM. However, it didn't tell me to buy this or that 'here'. Not sure what is being recommended.

I'm assuming, of course, that if I ask my MD for HGH, I'll get laughed at (as I think I should).

So, you want it, how do you get it?

It is not an accidental number. I had my blood tested before taking this amount and had a measurement of 32. I am now at 67... which is where I want to be.

My target range is 60-80.

I will probably go to 5000 daily during the winter as my sun exposure will be minimal during ski season.

Not sure about the activation. Sunlight is required to convert Vitamin A into Vitamin D.

Also, the vitamin D I am taking is the D3 variety.
Vitamin A cannot be converted into vitamin D.

Ha

After following the link, my first impression was SPAM. However, it didn't tell me to buy this or that 'here'. Not sure what is being recommended.

I'm assuming, of course, that if I ask my MD for HGH, I'll get laughed at (as I think I should).

So, you want it, how do you get it?

The article mentions 4 amino acids. I looked at my various protien supplements and realized I am getting 3 of them already. So, I am supplementing with the missing Amino Acid... ornithine.

Sorry, I didn't want to copy the entire article.
True, nobody's asking you to violate copyright.

This is a large and busy board with a few hundred posts a day. Your naked link, without context or interpretation, is competing for attention alongside all the other posts from people who have taken a few more minutes to share their interpretations or experiences or advice.

You're being asked to:
- post the link,
- excerpt a few sentences from the article as quotes to make your point, and then
- amplify the material with your personal opinion.

Otherwise you're just a headline aggregator, and that [-]NewGuy888[/-] gets old real fast.

Given the number of complaints, I will refrain from such efforts.
Hey, you're either going to post here as a valuable contributor or you're going to find someplace else where they love naked links. Ideally this board welcomes all members, especially newer ones who are more likely to click on the ads, but if your feelings are being hurt then... this is a large and busy board with hundreds of posts a day.

DR Oz and HGH
Presumably Dr. Oz has some of the best advice available to mankind, and the personal discipline to follow it.

Yet between last season and this season he's looking suspiciously more aged & gray, and his ears appear to have lost their pixie-ish points that made him seem about 18 years old. I wonder how HGH and amino acids are working for him.

What impressed me the other day was seeing Rosie O'Donnell on his show resembling her 1980s Roseanne VH-1 VJ self. I thought she "looked like" Rosie but I didn't realize that she was Rosie. I guess a heart attack can inspire the motivation to change a lifestyle diet.

I have been following reports of Vitamin D as a cancer fighting agent for the past 20 years. Since I live in Arizona and get plenty of sun, I assumed my vitamin D levels were fine.

I had a blood test done for my physical earlier this year and wanted to know, with certainty, what my blood levels were (as well as the testosterone). So I had them both checked.

Once I had the results, I started working with a naturopath for the testosterone treatments. She suggested that I take 5000 IU vitamin D daily. This was compatible with recommendations I have been reading from other health blogs. Intake is not important. Maintaining a blood level between 60 and 80 ng/ml is the goal.

I am not monitoring any other vitamins at the moment. I am necessarily monitoring Testosterone, Estradiol, DHEA, Vitamin D and normal body things like PSA and TSH.

Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

Vitamin D Council > About vitamin D > Vitamin D deficiency > Am I vitamin D deficient?

Last edited:
My bad. Cholosterol is the precursor to Vitamin D.

Since sunlight is required to turn cholesterol into vitamin D, avoiding the sun will likewise undermine our ability to synthesize vitamin D.

Vitamin D is Synthesized From Cholesterol and Found in Cholesterol-Rich Foods

The point is Vitamin D is made from the sun. Once it is made, it does not require further activation.
Actually, that is not quite true. Vitamin D, cholecalciferol, is converted in the liver to calcidol,which is what is usually measured in blood tests. Some of this calcidol is converted, mainly in the kidney, to calcitrol which is the active hormone.

Ha

Posting a naked link like that is frowned upon here.

Yes, I've been chastised for posting naked links, particularly of Vida Guerra...

Anyone who even listens to Dr. Oz should be given some leeway... at least, until they wakeup.

[RANT]The whole Oprah/Dr Phil/Dr Oz thing chaps my assets. Celebrities with the bully pulpit if there ever were ones, with the opportunity to educate and enlighten millions with actual knowledge. Instead, they pump their viewers full of new age fluff... [/RANT]

Have you tried Geritol?

Attachments

• fukitol.jpg
    fukitol.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom