Ear ringing?

rsingh6675

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone know what causes Ear ringing? I tried putting olive oil in my ears. It did not help. My left ear has vibrating sensation. I am puzzled.
Thanks.

Have you been having un-pure thoughts ?

Do a search for tinnitus on the internet:

Common Causes

Ear ringing can be the result of hearing loss as a person grows older. Around the age of 60 years old, the average person begins to experience some hearing loss. This can cause ear ringing. Damage to the cells in the inner ear can also bring about tinnitus. Exposure to very loud noises can precipitate short-term ear ringing. Construction equipment, airplanes, gunshots and chain saws are all loud enough to bring about ear ringing, but this type will normally subside as long as the exposure isn't over a long period of time. Blockage from earwax present in the ear canal can also cause tinnitus. When a person's ear bones stiffen in the middle ear, ear ringing can also occur, a problem that seems to actually be prevalent in some families.

Uncommon Causes

Meniere's disease is an ailment of the inner ear in which a person's ear fluid pressure or how the fluid is composed causes ringing in the ear. Depression and stress have been linked to ear ringing, where no other cause can be detected. Injuries to the neck or to the head can produce a neurological problem that brings on ear ringing. A benign tumor called an acoustic neuroma can grow on the cranial nerve from the inner ear to the brain and make ear ringing possible in the ear. Rare blood vessel ailments associated with such things as high blood pressure, tumors, narrowed arteries and irregular capillaries can also cause tinnitus. Medications taken for malaria, cancer drugs, high dosages of aspirin and some antibiotics are also responsible for ear ringing in some patients.

Cures

Ear ringing that doesn't disappear on its own can be cured sometimes if a doctor can determine that the problem that is causing it is treatable. Earwax buildup in the ear can be readily removed by a physician and bring an end to tinnitus or at least make it much less noticeable. Blood vessel conditions producing ear ringing can be surgically fixed, or medications can bring the problem under control. If certain medications are the reason for ear ringing, then switching to another drug or discontinuing the medication can end the trouble.
Read more: Ear Ringing Causes & Cures | eHow.com Ear Ringing Causes & Cures | eHow.com

Does anyone know what causes Ear ringing? I tried putting olive oil in my ears. It did not help. My left ear has vibrating sensation. I am puzzled.
It's called "tinnitus" (pronounced "TIN a tiss" or, rarely and incorrectly, "tin NIGHT iss") and can have numerous causes but is usually chronic and mild. Some forms such as Meniere's Disease are associated with hearing loss and vertigo.

Tons of stuff on this via google (see links above, for example).

Good luck for a speedy recovery. I suggest you see your primary physician for a quick look.

Thanks

Thanks for help. I am going to try Ibuprofen, see if it works.

I have "suffered" from this condition for years (40?). I suspect ear damage when in my Teen's/early 20's -- playing in a Rock Band and working in a Gold Mine.

I have a constant "ringing" in my head -- particularly bad when I plug my ears... or more noticable, perhaps. Anyway, I am one of the fortunate ones who don't really notice it unless I am somewhere particularly quiet. I do wear ear plugs while sleeping and it is "loud" but easy to ignore but when I awaken in the morning it is much, much softer although still there.

Anyway, there is nothing that can be done -- other than avoid loud noises (turn the TV down) which seems to irritate it.

There is a school of thought that it is not in the ear anyway but in the Brain. I subscribe to that theory... if only because the ears can't "hear"; only the Brain does that. The "sound" only seems to originate in the ear because that is where sound is "supposed" to be heard.

I, also, believe this is where the expression "has a Tin Ear" comes from but have never researched it.

Anyway, there is nothing that can be done -- other than avoid loud noises (turn the TV down) which seems to irritate it.

There is a school of thought that it is not in the ear anyway but in the Brain. I subscribe to that theory... if only because the ears can't "hear"; only the Brain does that. The "sound" only seems to originate in the ear because that is where sound is "supposed" to be heard.

I don't have a link, but I read of an interesting study recently (might have been Discover magazine). They also said it was commonly a brain/nerve issue, not physical (though it can be).

Anyway, what they did was determine which frequencies the individuals ringing was at (the very few times I've had it, it sounded like a high pitched tuning fork - a real 'pure' tone), and then they processed a bunch of music to remove those frequencies (notch them out in filter terms) from the music. Then they had people listen to that music several hours a day (on an iPod/player).

The theory was that the removal of the tones would give the brain a rest, or allow different paths to form or something. IIRC, they had something like an 80% success rate at reducing the ringing.

edit/add: google tinnitus music notch|filter study for lots of links.

-ERD50

It can also be the side effect of some medications.

DH suffers from this and it gets considerably worse the tireder he gets.

I don't have a link, but I read of an interesting study recently (might have been Discover magazine). They also said it was commonly a brain/nerve issue, not physical (though it can be).

In my case, that "rings" true. I suspect that my Brain somehow remembers the pain of that early ear damage -- it is the "sound" I heard after a night of standing in front of very large Speakers and/or after a day of using a pnuematic Drill. I have been careful to avoid damage since and believe that is why I have such a mild case of Tinnitus... although it is still irritating.

Anyway, what they did was determine which frequencies the individuals ringing was at (the very few times I've had it, it sounded like a high pitched tuning fork - a real 'pure' tone), ...

That's exactly what it sounds like... and it is "pure" in that sense.

The theory was that the removal of the tones would give the brain a rest, or allow different paths to form or something. IIRC, they had something like an 80% success rate at reducing the ringing.

That is, also, why mine is almost unnoticable -- I have to "listen" for it -- after a night of wearing Ear Plugs (the complete absence of external sound).

I have had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It doesn't normally bother me and most of the time I don't even notice it. But mention it (or post something like this) and there it is ringing away. :) I can imagine that a sudden onset would be hard to ignore.

I got my permanent ear ringing from going raving in my early-mid 20s without hearing protection. After coming home from a rave and having very noticeable ringing for a week, I started wearing ear plugs when out at loud events, but alas, the damage had already been done. So, OP, been exposed to long duration loud sound recently?

I have had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It doesn't normally bother me and most of the time I don't even notice it. But mention it (or post something like this) and there it is ringing away. :) I can imagine that a sudden onset would be hard to ignore.
Mine plays in-a-gadda-da-vida.

DangerMouse said:
It can also be the side effect of some medications.

DH suffers from this and it gets considerably worse the tireder he gets.

I've had it for nearly 4 years. It was a sudden onset, really scared me. I had bouts of ringing every few months that lasted a minute or two before that but nothing hat had been long term, constant, or this loud. I waited about 7 days to see the doc, thinking it may be the result of a virus (I had vertigo some years before resulting from an inner ear virus). She told me that if treated with steroids and heavy doses of B12 that it often resolved. I took he steroids and B12 and was much better the next day. It was still there, but very livable. As the steroid dose was reduced it came back. I tried just about every remedy in the book after that. Here are some findings:

1) the more stressed I am, the worse it gets
2) the more tired I am, the worse it gets
3) the longer the plane ride I am on, the worse it gets
4) the harder I exercise, the worse it gets (tired and physically stressed).

And

1) the better the sleep I get, the better it is (this is why I have ambien...don't use it everyday, but don't feel bad about using it when I need it)
2) the better fitness I have, the better it gets, except when I over do it, see 4) above.
3) it rarely bothers me while on vacation (it is always there, but the volume is much lower, probably due to all of the above).

Somehow I have it in my mind that FIRE may not cure it, but will certainly make it more livable.

To the OP, if you have not seen a doc about this, see one TODAY! It may nip it in the bud, if you haven't waited too long..

R

I have "suffered" from this condition for years (40?). I suspect ear damage when in my Teen's/early 20's -- playing in a Rock Band

This describes my situation also, but I think it's possible that I've always had it. I have a distinct memory of being very young, in a quiet room, and "realizing" that the world had a background ringing. That is, I thought it was real sound.

It can be quite annoying if you pay attention to it.

Do you guys get this: every week or so, the ringing stops for about a second, followed by a new, quite loud ring. This one gradually declines over the course of about a minute, and then things are back to normal. I mentioned this to an ENT doc once, and he wasn't concerned. He also said the tinnitus can get better with age, as hearing acuity declines, but I think that's wrong.

With really good ear plugs in, I've realized that there are actually a number of different tones.

Scientists are working on it:

Tinnitus cure: How high pitched music could ring in the changes | Mail Online

Thanks for help. I am going to try Ibuprofen, see if it works.

Ibuprofen is a second cousin of Aspirin. Aspirin actually causes tinnitus in some people, especially if they overdo it. So Ibuprofen would probably not help.

I have had tinnitus since 1967 when firing the .45 Cal pistol @ Ft Benning, GA. After all this time, I seldom notice the constant 24/7 ringing/buzzing. Have notified VA of the issue they have not found time to respond to my claim.

That is, I thought it was real sound.

It can be quite annoying if you pay attention to it.

Do you guys get this: every week or so, the ringing stops for about a second, followed by a new, quite loud ring. This one gradually declines over the course of about a minute, and then things are back to normal. I mentioned this to an ENT doc once, and he wasn't concerned. He also said the tinnitus can get better with age, as hearing acuity declines, but I think that's wrong.

With really good ear plugs in, I've realized that there are actually a number of different tones.

I agree with all this. It describes my experience exactly.

I have suspicions that it is not real "sound" I am hearing but have no other frame of reference.

I periodically (not very often but...) have those loud burst that are impossible to ignore and they last for several minutes before reverting to "background noise." I don't know about any silence prior to this event but when it happens it is a surprise... shock even. So it is very possible that absence proceeds it.

The exact tone is not always the same. It varies but stays the same for extended periods, however.

I have not noticed any diminishing as I grow older. This, also, supports my suspicions that it is in the Brain not in the Ear.

Got mine from years of flying. Of course the war stories which get better every year are well worth a little ringing.
Actually, all the docs said it was hopeless.
Fast forward after about 10 years of ringing and I found myself working with another doc on a smoking cessation program using hypnosis. It worked great so I said, hey doc, could we do a two-fer and work on this damn ringing. Sure enough, it helped, but it required me to follow a program that was something of a combo of self hypnosis, yoga, howling at the moon (not really) etc. I've gotten lazy since then, so I just live with it for the most part, but every once in a while, I sit down and shut that baby completely off.
Hypnosis is worth a try, but YMMV.

Yep, too much loud rock and roll. In this case, it needs LESS cowbell...

... but every once in a while, I sit down and shut that baby completely off.

Hypnosis is worth a try, but YMMV.

Then, it is truly a mind thing after all.

(Forgetting, for the moment, those that have actual physical damage to the ear or some other trauma.)

Then, it is truly a mind thing after all.

(Forgetting, for the moment, those that have actual physical damage to the ear or some other trauma.)

Well I'm already in way over my head, so to speak, but my understanding about hypnosis is that it is simply using the part of the mind to block out another part not unlike how hypnosis can help with pain relief.
I have not cured my ringing, but if I stop it temporarily, say in the morning, it seems to stay surpressed or in the deep background for an extended time, meaning most of the day.
I've never really made this a priority simply because I've learned to take the ringing in stride.
I really believe some people are better hypnosis candidates than others. (Insert jokes here) Before you call the therapist or visit the doc, you should educate yourself on the subject. Check out "Instant Self Hypnosis by Forbes Blair for info on self hypnosis, but I will say, that I'm doubtful anyone could achieve much without professional help in the beginning. A grasp of yoga basics is helpful as well.

Back
Top Bottom