Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not knowing when you're hungry just seems so odd to me.

Am I the only one who uses the onset of stomach-growling noises as the signal that I need to eat?

It has been a reliable hunger signal since childhood.

Do other people's stomachs growl when they are NOT hungry?

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It must be an INTJ thing. I never heard of it before.

There is so much to learn here!

Ha

Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst

Am I the only one who uses the onset of stomach-growling noises as the signal that I need to eat?

It has been a reliable hunger signal since childhood.

Do other people's stomachs growl when they are NOT hungry?

Amethyst
Me too.... I thought I was odd.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My stomach doesn't growl when I'm hungry. Maybe after an hour of being so hungry that I can't concentrate on much else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52
2) Just recognize that stopping after no longer being hungry is enough.
If you've kept weight off for 12 years your words carry credit, but I am surprised to hear that you attribute it just to this simple change. I wonder if you are exerting continual willpower and that your statement fully reads "Stopping after no longer being hungry and enduring any recurring hunger that arises before the next mealtime, is enough."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
my weight hasn't changed more than a pound or two, up or down, in several years
As you probably know, this is unusual. Most people put on about a pound a year. How do you think you maintained such an exemplary weight maintenance?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

My weight has barely changed in the last ten years, the only time I've seen a fast change is when I get sick. What I did was figure out early on what the serving amount that will make me not hungry, but won't fill me to the brim.

For me, that's about 8-12 ozs. Anything less than that, and while it may satisfy my hunger, it won't last for more than an hour. That serving size lasts about 2-3 hours. Then I just snack a tiny bit if I feel a hunger pang, then stop eating entirely if I'm getting within an hour of a mealtime. I definitely eat a breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can get away with 4-6 oz's satisfying me for a couple hours for breakfast, since I'm not behind on calories at that point.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #26

"If you've kept weight off for 12 years your words carry credit, but I am surprised to hear that you attribute it just to this simple change. I wonder if you are exerting continual willpower and that your statement fully reads "Stopping after no longer being hungry and enduring any recurring hunger that arises before the next mealtime, is enough."

I try to keep my replies relatively brief so of course I did leave out a couple of important details. Most important, besides diet I "discovered" running and other exercises which I do 5-6 days per week.
To your inquiry, honestly I am not starving myself. I eat normal portions, just not "mega size."
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #27

Most days I eat a small breakfast, a salad for lunch and a big meal at dinner.
When do I get hungry? Only time all day......after I finish dinner!

Anybody think this is a mental issue? I know I do.

The good news is by limiting sugur and eating lots of lean meat and veggies, I've lost 3 lbs every six months for the past five years, measured by my Doc during my physical......or a total of 32 lbs. We're all different....we all have mental roadblocks and we all have to find our own solutions.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #28

I still like the traditional approach - eat 3 to 4 meals a day (any one of tea or snack or late super counted as the 4th meal). Eat till you are around 80% full = how do you know when it is about there? Listen to your body - everyone gives different symptoms - for me, my tummy gets that almost to bloaty feeling and my throat gets starting to feel congested like it wants to burp. Nowadays, I know roughly how much is enough and just cook those approximate portions.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
It must be an INTJ thing. I never heard of it before.

There is so much to learn here!

Ha
A friend gave me a M-B test about 10 years ago - I was INFJ. Do I have to lesve the room?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
While it appears the American diet has evolved to include (way) too many carbs, especially simple (vs complex), I'd be wary of any extreme diet focused on certain foods and forsaking other foods entirely. Americans simply eat too much in general as well it seems.
Couldn't agree more. Focusing only on carbs really doesn't help much because there are so many other factors being ignored. For some cooking shows, whenever the host says "just a little bit of olive oil/butter/cream/sugar", I would be shocked by the final amount being put in. There's just too much consumption on meat/fat/sugar, but too little on vegetables/fruits in America. For the dinner portion, it's probably better to feel a little hungry before going to bed (at least 3 hrs after dinner).
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
...Focusing only on carbs really doesn't help much because there are so many other factors being ignored. ....
Here are some factors to consider. Depending on your hypothesis, the human genome was set between 50,000 to 250,000 years ago. Agriculture was developed about 10,000 years ago. Therefore, our genes were designed to operate properly in a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, as opposed to an agrarian lifestyle. This implies the following factors are likely important: seasonality, circadian rhythms, pre-agriculture foods, pre-agriculture meal frequency, low intensity exercise, occasional high-intensity exercise, among others.

If you don't take these factors into consideration, and follow what has become the modern lifestyle, you get neolithic disease: cardio-vascular disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and various autoimmune diseases.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
If you don't take these factors into consideration, and follow what has become the modern lifestyle, you get neolithic disease: cardio-vascular disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and various autoimmune diseases.
The more I look into these things about diet, the less sure I feel about any of it. For me, it does seem to be true that I control my blood sugar much better on a low carb diet, but that is about as much as I feel confident about.

Many people today are true believers. All they look for is confirmation of their beliefs, and almost any belief system can find followers. I believe the internet supports this tendency pretty well.

Ha
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len
Anybody think this is a mental issue? I know I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto
it's probably better to feel a little hungry before going to bed (at least 3 hrs after dinner).
That's the hardest time for me too. I'm tired and my willpower is low, and I worry about not being able to fall asleep because I'm hungry.

In the morning I'm so energized that I would rather work than eat breakfast, and when I do eat breakfast (usually because I've recently read a report that breakfast eaters are healthier and gain less weight over time), I find it easy to summon the willpower to stop whenever.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #34

...oh yeah, lest I forget to mention my other seemingly contradictory "diet" food: my daily low-fat chocolate ice cream for dessert. Although I limit myself to one cup, that cup is jammed down pretty tight with ice cream!
Yeah, I am sorely tempted to go for a second portion, but I almost always resist, knowing that in just a few minutes the "need" for that second portion completely fades away.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The more I look into these things about diet, the less sure I feel about any of it. For me, it does seem to be true that I control my blood sugar much better on a low carb diet, but that is about as much as I feel confident about.
Consider this: until the evolutionary template was applied to the field of nutrition, there was no over-arching theory which applied. Real progress is now being made, and the findings are quite different than what we previously 'knew' to be true. A measure of mental discord is appropriate. I can't imagine how current practitioners will gracefully make the change...
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
...oh yeah, lest I forget to mention my other seemingly contradictory "diet" food: my daily low-fat chocolate ice cream for dessert. Although I limit myself to one cup, that cup is jammed down pretty tight with ice cream!
Yeah, I am sorely tempted to go for a second portion, but I almost always resist, knowing that in just a few minutes the "need" for that second portion completely fades away.
Or eat from the container until full
Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a

I will try that in the future at some point. Do you have any personal data (like TromboneAl's graphs of his blood pressure) that charts beneficial effects cutting out grains had on you?
This wasn't directed at me but I have anecdotal evidence from my own experiment with TAl's regimen. One year ago, 6' 195 pounds. Quit sugars and down to 180 in a few months. Gained back to 182 (cookies slipped in) and went LCHF, down to 165 in two months. Hunger is gone, sweet tooth is controlled. For now
Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I tracked how full I felt and how much I enjoyed the last few bites of what I ate, at meals, for a few days. The point was to see how correlated these two subjective measures of fullness were.

The results pretty much satisfied my hopes, that they correlate strongly. This means I can simply think about how full I feel instead of worrying about other signals my body may be sending to tell me I should stop eating.

I attached a graph of the data. The black points and line are the ratings of how much I enjoyed food at the end of the meal, and the green points and line are (100 minus fullness) at the end of the meal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plot2.JPG (14.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Consider this: until the evolutionary template was applied to the field of nutrition, there was no over-arching theory which applied. Real progress is now being made, and the findings are quite different than what we previously 'knew' to be true. A measure of mental discord is appropriate. I can't imagine how current practitioners will gracefully make the change...
This is OT, but one thing I wonder about this "evolutionary template"- who was around taking notes on what Thor and Helga had for dinner?

Ha
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

More on my experiences trying to find a system for knowing when to stop eating..

I think there's a difference between feeling stuffed in a physical sense - when one groans and it hurts to move - and being satisfied in a "chemical" sense. By chemical, I mean the sense that you have been talking about when you say that certain signals don't register with the brain until a little while after stopping eating.

This means, then, one can never know when to stop; one can only guess.

It does seem reliable to ask oneself, "How much am I enjoying the flavor of what I am eating this instant?" I notice that whenever I eat mindlessly and am not really enjoying the flavor, then afterwards after waiting I feel that I really overdid it and don't get truly hungry again until a long time. However, gauging the enjoyment of eating is even more subjective than trying to feel how physically full I am.