Epidural injection

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
I saw a doc today and he is recommending an epidural injection into my neck (level left C8 transforaminal epidural injection) to help with numbness in my left arm and shoulder.

Just wondering if anybody on this forum had this done or have comments/suggestions on the subject.

Thank you!

Worth a second opinion.

A few years back (7-8?) I was running one day when I developed a small pain in the area near the middle of my right shoulder blade, by the time I was home my neck was starting to ache and there was numbness down to my finger tips. I was playing in a rec volleyball league and put it down to "volleyball shoulder", it continued downhill until I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep, sleeping 2-3 hours a night seated at the kitchen table with a pillow on the table. Went to family Doctor, blood pressure was peaking at ~200/110 because of the pain, went through shots and pills of muscle relaxants, a trip to Orthopedic Doctor for x-rays,etc which were for the most part normal. They sent me to Physical Therapy for traction thinking that even though x-rays were normal there still may be some compression. Weeks went by with no improvement and I knew neck surgery wasn't far off, but one day out of desperation stopped by a Chiropractor and after a few minutes he said I can't help you but I know what is wrong, a trapped nerve in the front of my shoulder. He sent me to me to a massage therapist who after 2 thirty minute sessions "untrapped" the nerve and the pain was completely gone.
\

I've had epidural injections several times for chronic lower back pain. Getting the injection was no big deal, little pain or other effects. They gave me only modest pain relief so I have not gotten any in many years. Worth a try, in my opinion.

I've had epidural injections several times for chronic lower back pain. Getting the injection was no big deal, little pain or other effects. They gave me only modest pain relief so I have not gotten any in many years. Worth a try, in my opinion.

I am wondering - did you use local anesthesia or sedation?

I am wondering - did you use local anesthesia or sedation?

It was local anesthesia only. The placement of the catheter to deliver the medication was mildly uncomfortable but other than that the whole thing was painless.

Evidence shows modest if any benefit, though occasional great responses. Usually done under propofol or midazolam sedation, minimal discomfort for most.

I saw a doc today and he is recommending an epidural injection into my neck (level left C8 transforaminal epidural injection) to help with numbness in my left arm and shoulder.

Just wondering if anybody on this forum had this done or have comments/suggestions on the subject.

Thank you!

Does your tagline sort of apply here? Have you tried any of Painterbill's strategies to determine the root cause of the issue? Sounds like the docs' treatment recommendation will only mask the symptoms and you will be back to your current condition in no time scheduling another injection.

A few years back (7-8?) I was running one day when I developed a small pain in the area near the middle of my right shoulder blade, by the time I was home my neck was starting to ache and there was numbness down to my finger tips. I was playing in a rec volleyball league and put it down to "volleyball shoulder", it continued downhill until I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep, sleeping 2-3 hours a night seated at the kitchen table with a pillow on the table. Went to family Doctor, blood pressure was peaking at ~200/110 because of the pain, went through shots and pills of muscle relaxants, a trip to Orthopedic Doctor for x-rays,etc which were for the most part normal. They sent me to Physical Therapy for traction thinking that even though x-rays were normal there still may be some compression. Weeks went by with no improvement and I knew neck surgery wasn't far off, but one day out of desperation stopped by a Chiropractor and after a few minutes he said I can't help you but I know what is wrong, a trapped nerve in the front of my shoulder. He sent me to me to a massage therapist who after 2 thirty minute sessions "untrapped" the nerve and the pain was completely gone.
\

Welcome to the forum Painter Bill.
Doing some painting myself today but then I got rained out.

Had one done about a yr ago for numbness in my right arm. Worked wonders...would do it again if needed.

Does your tagline sort of apply here? Have you tried any of Painterbill's strategies to determine the root cause of the issue? Sounds like the docs' treatment recommendation will only mask the symptoms and you will be back to your current condition in no time scheduling another injection.

Yes, tingling play the role. I am not sure what "Painterbill's strategies" are??

These injections seem to work for some people, not others. I never got any relief from them but if conservative care hasn't helped, they are worth a "shot."

Watch out for the "dural puncture" which is an infrequent complication. You will get the worst headaches imaginable anytime you are upright, only relieved by laying down. To fix it, they will take blood from your veins and reinject it into your back to clot over the hole that is leaking cerebrospinal fluid.

Not fun.

Back
Top Bottom