Exercise More -> Eat More

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW feels that the more she exercises, the hungrier she gets, and the more she eats. She says she's hungrier the next day, especially.

Anyone info on this?

Found this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7080440/

I've done a comprehensive study of a single test subject, and have found this to be 100% true. It's my latest, best excuse for complete slothfulness.

For me, it depends on what kind of exercise. If I do a long, strenuous hike I don't find that my appetite increases noticeably. But if I weight train especially lower body, strenously enough to end up with sore muscles, then I definitely am hungrier later in the day and the next day. Eating more protein helps with that.

The article that Calgary Girl posted in another thread, from the Calgary newspaper, found something different, they suggest that exercise acts as an appetite suppressant.

I would think that the endorphins released during exercise would make you feel less hungry, but when they wear off, then the hunger comes. That is how it is with me, anyway.

Here's the article from the calgary herald, which has depressing data on maintenance of weight loss.

The article that Calgary Girl posted in another thread, from the Calgary newspaper, found something different, they suggest that exercise acts as an appetite suppressant.

I would think that the endorphins released during exercise would make you feel less hungry, but when they wear off, then the hunger comes. That is how it is with me, anyway.

Here's the article from the calgary herald, which has depressing data on maintenance of weight loss.

Sometimes when you think you are hungry, you are really just thirsty; first drink some water (or weak herbal tea), wait 20 minutes or so , and see if you are still hungry.

For me, it depends on what kind of exercise. If I do a long, strenuous hike I don't find that my appetite increases noticeably. But if I weight train especially lower body, strenously enough to end up with sore muscles, then I definitely am hungrier later in the day and the next day. Eating more protein helps with that.

I find this true with backpacking. After a long day of backpacking I am barely hungry. What's weird is about four days later it hits me and I get really hungry.

My feeling is that evolution has finely tuned us to walk and climb trees and other low aerobic stuff. If we were meant to run our knees would face backwards.

I heard (don't remember where) higher aerobic and anaerobic exercise burns blood sugar, making us hungry. Low aerobic exercise (walking and the like) burns body fat.

There is a theory out there that caloric restriction extends life. When we eat, and burn calories, free radicals are formed, which damage our cells. If you believe this, high aerobic activity leads to eating more calories, which leads to an earlier death.

Wild. DW and I were literally just talking about this. She exercised this afternoon (again), and was complaining that she was feeling more hunger after exercising. When I do intense exercise, I don't feel hungry for a while (usually an hour) afterwards. Guess different bodies respond differently.

Depends, usually I eat the most the day after weight training and I eat the most later in the day of high intensity aerobic training. The rest of the time, the exercise can suppress my appetite.

I actually feel less hungry after I work out. I've gone to the gym when I've been really hungry and after weight training and 40 min of cardio, I forget that I wanted food. Most of the time after a work out, I only eat because I should, not because I am hungry. I think part of it is a mental thing.

From my unscientific study of one, I eat more when I'm doing lots of running. Not necessarily immediately after running, but later or the next day. I believe my metablism rises and I crave more food.

I *always* eat more and gain weight for the first 2-3 weeks of a new (and soon to be former) exercise regime. After a while I build up a little more muscle mass and my basal metabolic rate comes up enough to make up the difference.

My gym workout is mostly weights, with as little cardio as I can justify (usually 3x as much time lifting weights with some intensity, as doing cardio).

It really, really REALLY lowers my appetite. That is because I am a cubicle dweeb who battles a tendency to engage in stress eating, and exercise lowers my stress level. Lifting weights especially does this, because I focus and get pretty serious about it and channel all that stress.

Usually if I work out, I end up feeling more satisfied than I would normally feel, after consuming about 250 calories less than usual. I'm not saying that I always eat less after lifting - - but often I do. Who can eat much while on an endorphin high? Not me, anyway.

I have no idea how a purely cardio routine like running or elliptical would affect my appetite, because I just can't get myself enthused about these activities and have never done a routine like that.

Last edited:
DW feels that the more she exercises, the hungrier she gets, and the more she eats. She says she's hungrier the next day, especially.
Sure. If I don't eat a snack between taekwondo and bedtime, I'll wake up at 2 AM starving to death.

The only effective counters I've found are to:
- Drink more water and wait 15-20 minutes. If you're still hungry then you'll at least have had the time to plan what you'll be eating instead of randomly emptying the fridge.
- Eat more protein & fiber.

A cup of coffee helps slow down my eating too, but that's a temporary solution wrapped inside a bunch of other problems.

I find that I have to keep track of the things that trigger my bad eating habits-- beer commercials, eating a meal out with friends, or being stressed.

The calorie-restriction cults have never really had a good response among people who like to exercise frequently and build muscle.

I agree with the article OP posted, and I always have a snack when I get in from work - fruit usually - before the work out, then eat dinner after the workout but try and eat it very slowly, and drink a big glass of water. However I still snack plently during the evening so always have plenty of fruit, veggies and crispbread on hand. On a Sunday before we cylce about 45 minutes to breakfast we always drink a glass of milk first to give an energy boost.

the only other thing I would add is that it is much better to be fit than thin, so try and evaluate your increase in fitness as a good measure of progress, not just how much weight you are losing.

I decided to train for a half-marathon this year and during the first month or two of increased exercise it seemed that I was famished every minute of the day. I eat meat infrequently - maybe once every 8-12 weeks - but started experiencing cravings for beef and then actually dreamed about sides of beef (not pretty!). It's become more manageable with time but I still plan for 100-250 calorie snacks shortly after an intensive workout.

It's become more manageable with time but I still plan for 100-250 calorie snacks shortly after an intensive workout.

You are supposed to eat or drink something with a couple of hundred calories or so as soon as possible, say 30 minutes or so, after vigorous exercise. Glycogen is replenished more efficiently during that time and the faster you replace it the faster your recover.

MB

I went from occasional exercising to a real routine 1hr. water aerobics and half hour weights and I haven't noticed any change in my eating habits or my hunger levels.

I've had a regualar run, bike, swim, etc. regimen for about 25 year so that is my baseline. I usually get 30-60 minutes in on the week days and 1-4 hours on the weekends.

I don't think that I reduce my calories much when I reduce exercise. That became a problem recently when I had to stop running for almost a year and put on 25 lbs.

The other things that I have noticed is that short (for me) but intense workouts such as a 5k or 10k running race tends to suppress my appetite for an hour or two. On the other hand I eat like crazy after the really long stuff such as a marathon run or a 100 mile bike ride. After something like that it seems like I want to eat every hour or two for the rest of the day.

MB

Back
Top Bottom