F&%$ !! Prostate Cancer

mystang, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Just happens that I played golf today with two guys that had prostate cancer. They are just going about their normal lives. Also, last fall my brother was diagnosed with PC and he went through the surgery using the Davinci robotic method. Three days and he was up and about. No chemo. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
The Davinci Robot

Is the cat's meow. I attend a head and neck cancer survivor group and had occasion to see a doctor demonstrate this thing as it pertains to HN cancer. If it is an option for you do not hesitate or question it's effectiveness. I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Don't take any type of cancer lightly, let a tumor Board evaluate and recommend a suitable plan of action. Sloan is world known for HN cancer treatment BTW, a great place to be.

So sorry to hear that you have PC, but I am so glad that you are going to such a good medical institution. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Grasshopper. Good luck to you also.

Yeah... fear and depression... the very toughest parts. After the consult, the uncertainty is gone, and it's easier to deal with. Time for the shock to wear off, and more familiarity with the options helps.

I recall my own colon cancer... unexpected in 1989, which led to the decision to retire early. Not a pleasant time, but a c section, over and done and cancer free now, for 24 years.

Then, a year later, a 29 PSA led to urgent biopsies (12), with negative results ... (bad PSA reading). At the time... 1990, PSA testing was still in its infancy (approved in 1986), and there was great uncertainty and division among doctors as to treatment. A week of waiting builds anxiety, and the biopsy punches (needles) left memories. Even this procedure has now improved, thank goodness.

On the leukemia part... My next door neighbor just turned 80 and has been living with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia for almost 20 years.

Its ugly stuff no matter what, but we deal with it, and life goes on.
Best wishes for a good outcome... Hopefully this will just end up as a blip on the memory, many years from now.

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis but you'll be fine at Sloan. I do not advocate watchful waiting due to my dad's pc. Doc in his case diagnosed cancer in 3 of 9 cores (17 years ago) and was told it was a mild form, not aggressive form. He opted for the surgery, which took place three months after the biopsy was taken. In that short period of time, a cancer that was not supposed to be aggressive had fully overtaken his prostate. Thankfully it had not breached the prostatic shell, which, after the surgery, the doc indicated would have happened given the rapid progression of the disease. You know this already, but C is not to be taken lightly, and since you are young it is best to treat early and aggressively. If you were 80 or 85, watchful waiting may be a course of action, but based on what I saw in dad's situation, I would treat it aggressively if in my 50's or 60s.

Not medical advice, just my opinion based on family experience. Dad, by the way, had RP and while he has had some issues related to the RP, he is cancer free, alive, and still pretty active for age 77.

R

Update

UPDATE - Just in case anyone is curious:
Had prostatectomy May 31. Cancer confined to the prostate, no spread. My recovery has been excellent, and the "usual" post-op effects have been minimal to non-existent. I resumed running and swimming 5 weeks post-op, and this past weekend resumed cycling. As long as training goes well, I expect to do a sprint Triathlon on September 8.
Didn't do that Hawaii vacation, but had a glorious time in Fort Lauderdale instead. And, along the way continue to really love the ER lifestyle!

That's excellent news! It sounds like you'll be enjoying life for many more years.

Coach

Great news! For you, of course, but also a good story for those who get the cancer in the future. Thanks for reporting back on this.

That's good news! May you enjoy many more retirement years in good health.

All right!

Congratulations on your speedy recovery.

Great news!

Good news all around, glad to hear that surgery went well and you are back to your active life.

I had my results from Julys PSA test, with a sugar free diet, weight loss, and a bit higher exercise level. Drum roll please, my PSA went from 4.5 to 2.8, doc says DRE suggests a little shrinkage of my prostate. I will continue active surveillance.

Great news. DH has one more 6 month check-up and then he'll be 5 years cancer free! I know what a relief it is to hear those magic words.

It's always great to hear the success. Congratulations.

MRG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom