Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy? Back in the Midwest it was illegal to sell raw milk; we got it from a farmer who just left a price list out; you had to know where the farm was and use stealth.
I just read an article (think it was WSJ) about raw milk. It's still much like you describe, depending on the location.

I have to ask, what benefits does one get from raw milk? It wasn't really clear from the article that I read.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I just read an article (think it was WSJ) about raw milk. It's still much like you describe, depending on the location.

I have to ask, what benefits does one get from raw milk? It wasn't really clear from the article that I read.
I don't really know anything about raw milk; I was just visiting and was fascinated with the stealth techniques for getting it & very amused in taking the tour out to the farm. There was a funny story about my mom who was mad at a neighbor for waiting several decades to let her in on the secret of where the farm was.

Maybe Sidekickeh will come over here and enlighten us.

EDIT: Here's a thread about milk that went 185 posts, apparently the cream didn't rise to the top and the mods of the time closed it.

Who Knows about Milk?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Supposedly, the pasteurazation of milk changes the protein structure. Cooking meat does the same thing. Also there are enzymes that are destroyed by heat. It also kills bacteria and some milk borne diseases are pretty horrible. Many states ban the sale of raw milk but not all. Some allow it only for animal food. If you want it, it is important to be sure the farmer is very clean in all the handling of the milk as well as your own practices.

Yogurt & cheese are ways of preserving milk by use of good bacteria. But contamination is still a danger.

The Inuit eating their native diet had no cancer or heart disease. No or vey little vegs or fruits in that diet. Lots of animal fat & they ate the organs. This study simply supports this long known fact.

Cancer is a 20th century disease so the answer probably lies in the changes since then. There's a lot of junk science in medicine & nutrition.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....EDIT: Here's a thread about milk that went 185 posts, apparently the cream didn't rise to the top and the mods of the time closed it.

Who Knows about Milk?
Darn, you made me look. Now I have a headache from reading all those posts. Maybe I need a big glass of chocolate milk.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Darn, you made me look. Now I have a headache from reading all those posts. Maybe I need a big glass of chocolate milk.
For some unknown reason I'm craving a big glass of fat-free supermarket milk with any Hostess product.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy? Back in the Midwest it was illegal to sell raw milk; we got it from a farmer who just left a price list out; you had to know where the farm was and use stealth.

btw, welcome to the forum, Sidekickeh. Be sure to go over to the "Hi, I am" section and introduce yourself.
We have a farmer's market a half mile from our place that sells a whole range of cheeses made from raw milk, and we can buy raw milk from local registered farms.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi CuppaJoe. We get ours through a "cow share" and "goat share" program in Canada. Its kind of a grey area, but basically we own shares in a cow and goat, and are then entitled to receive yeilds on its milk. I cannot drink "dead dairy" any more. Knowing about the problems it can cause, but also because of all the nutriment you are loosing compared to raw dairy. Go to the realmilk(dot)com website. You would be surprised to find how many farmers in your area may actually still provide raw dairy (and not have to do it in stealth).
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I hope its correct. I barely touch veggies and am far to low on fruits. Its pills and fiber for me. Nothing I have tried can cure my aversion to veggies.
But you do eat potatoes, don't you? Evidently, in some school cafeteria systems, french fries are counted as vegetable servings.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #30

I live in CA so we are kind of lucky - we can get state certified raw milk from two different dairies (there is actually over-regulation on these raw daries, but as a consumer, I feel there is a smaller risk of catching something serious than say getting untested/unregulated raw milk.)

I am amazed to hear one of the posters drinking raw milk while fishing out (or down) the manure... (Maybe things were different back then or you somehow develop resistance over time? East Indian guys I work with were saying their family members can drink tap water, but they cannot without getting sick anymore when they go home for vacation because they have been away for so long... kind of thing?)

I don't like the taste of regular commercial (pasturized) milk - they don't taste right to me and they tend to give me intestinal problems. (and now knowing the milk came from tons of different cows in confinement and some disease ridden, I don't see how it could be good for me. ) Raw milk tastes really good to me (I buy the Jersey milk, which has more fat than other newer breeds.) and I have no stomach upsets. I enjoy milk shake with egg yolk and a little bit of honey. Yum...

Oh did I mention I use lard (not the hydrogenated kind) for cooking?

I hope Gary Taubes is right....
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Oh did I mention I use lard (not the hydrogenated kind) for cooking?
Where could I get this?

Quote:
I hope Gary Taubes is right....
He says his wife is sceptical and made him take out more life insurance.

Ha
Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Where could I get this?

Ha
I got some lard (leaf lard - made from fat around the kidneys) at a farmer's market - this wasn't cheap. ($7 / pint)

I also got some backfat at another farmer's market to render myself.

Since you live in Seattle (or near Seattle?), I bet you can at least find backfat at a local farmer's market - if your farmer's market has a pork ranch booth.

I have been buying bacon too (from WF) and I use the left over grease for sauteing veggies.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I got some lard (leaf lard - made from fat around the kidneys) at a farmer's market - this wasn't cheap. ($7 / pint)

I also got some backfat at another farmer's market to render myself.

Since you live in Seattle (or near Seattle?), I bet you can at least find backfat at a local farmer's market - if your farmer's market has a pork ranch booth.

I have been buying bacon too (from WF) and I use the left over grease for sauteing veggies.
Thanks TMM. I also love that Whole Foods thick sliced pepper bacon. Cook some bacon, brown some yellow onion, saute green beans... Ah.

I live right down in Seattle, an easy walk to downtown. Several farmer's Markets nearby, and as you say they can be expensive.

I'll check out a Farmer's Market. When I was boy my grandparents made their own lard (and cracklings!) in a big iron pot and a wood fire. Nothing better.

Ha
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Where could I get this?
Find the local Mexican food grocer - lard is huge in Mexican cuisine. It's called Manteca in Spanish. I can't find lard in any of the white-bread grocery stores.

I second your thoughts on the inclusion of bacon when cooking green beans - adding the grease makes them scrumptious.

Tom Wolfe's book, A Man in Full, had a scene in which one of the main characters would bring guests to his modern day plantation in South Georgia (below the Gnat Line as is said there) and his cook would wow them with her cooking. They would always demand her to come from the kitchen so they could express their appreciation, and ultimately ask what was the secret behind the flavor. "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the world of grease!"

Back to the raw milk thing, I remember now why I decided it wasn't for me after reading the article. The high risks if the farmer isn't extremely cautious in handling. I have always drank a lot of milk, but since I started doing the low-carb way of eating I've stayed away because milk encourages me to eat stuff I really shouldn't (everything from cookies to PBJ sandwiches).
Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Cancer is a 20th century disease ...
Found at ACS :: The History of Cancer

Quote:
Human beings have had cancer throughout recorded history. So it is no surprise that from the dawn of history people have written about cancer. Some of the earliest evidence of cancer is found among fossilized bone tumors, human mummies in ancient Egypt, and ancient manuscripts. Bone remains of mummies have revealed growths suggestive of the bone cancer, osteosarcoma. Bony skull destruction as seen in cancer of the head and neck has been found, too.

Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 1600 B.C. It is called the Edwin Smith Papyrus, and is a copy of part of an ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were treated by cauterization, with a tool called the fire drill. The writing says about the disease, "There is no treatment."

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote