Fruits, Veggies, Cancer study

Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy? Back in the Midwest it was illegal to sell raw milk; we got it from a farmer who just left a price list out; you had to know where the farm was and use stealth.

btw, welcome to the forum, Sidekickeh. Be sure to go over to the "Hi, I am" section and introduce yourself.

We have a farmer's market a half mile from our place that sells a whole range of cheeses made from raw milk, and we can buy raw milk from local registered farms.

Hi CuppaJoe. We get ours through a "cow share" and "goat share" program in Canada. Its kind of a grey area, but basically we own shares in a cow and goat, and are then entitled to receive yeilds on its milk. I cannot drink "dead dairy" any more. Knowing about the problems it can cause, but also because of all the nutriment you are loosing compared to raw dairy. Go to the realmilk(dot)com website. You would be surprised to find how many farmers in your area may actually still provide raw dairy (and not have to do it in stealth).

Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy?

img_928294_0_c0bd536ae4cf0aa6045f3de866545a4a.jpg

I hope its correct. I barely touch veggies and am far to low on fruits. Its pills and fiber for me. Nothing I have tried can cure my aversion to veggies.

But you do eat potatoes, don't you? Evidently, in some school cafeteria systems, french fries are counted as vegetable servings.

I live in CA so we are kind of lucky - we can get state certified raw milk from two different dairies (there is actually over-regulation on these raw daries, but as a consumer, I feel there is a smaller risk of catching something serious than say getting untested/unregulated raw milk.)

I am amazed to hear one of the posters drinking raw milk while fishing out (or down) the manure... (Maybe things were different back then or you somehow develop resistance over time? East Indian guys I work with were saying their family members can drink tap water, but they cannot without getting sick anymore when they go home for vacation because they have been away for so long... kind of thing?)

I don't like the taste of regular commercial (pasturized) milk - they don't taste right to me and they tend to give me intestinal problems. (and now knowing the milk came from tons of different cows in confinement and some disease ridden, I don't see how it could be good for me. ) Raw milk tastes really good to me (I buy the Jersey milk, which has more fat than other newer breeds.) and I have no stomach upsets. I enjoy milk shake with egg yolk and a little bit of honey. Yum...

Oh did I mention I use lard (not the hydrogenated kind) for cooking?

I hope Gary Taubes is right....

Where could I get this?

Ha

I got some lard (leaf lard - made from fat around the kidneys) at a farmer's market - this wasn't cheap. ($7 / pint)

I also got some backfat at another farmer's market to render myself.

Since you live in Seattle (or near Seattle?), I bet you can at least find backfat at a local farmer's market - if your farmer's market has a pork ranch booth.

I have been buying bacon too (from WF) and I use the left over grease for sauteing veggies.

I got some lard (leaf lard - made from fat around the kidneys) at a farmer's market - this wasn't cheap. ($7 / pint)

I also got some backfat at another farmer's market to render myself.

Since you live in Seattle (or near Seattle?), I bet you can at least find backfat at a local farmer's market - if your farmer's market has a pork ranch booth.

I have been buying bacon too (from WF) and I use the left over grease for sauteing veggies.

Thanks TMM. I also love that Whole Foods thick sliced pepper bacon. Cook some bacon, brown some yellow onion, saute green beans... Ah.

I live right down in Seattle, an easy walk to downtown. Several farmer's Markets nearby, and as you say they can be expensive. :)

I'll check out a Farmer's Market. When I was boy my grandparents made their own lard (and cracklings!) in a big iron pot and a wood fire. Nothing better.

Ha

Where could I get this?
Find the local Mexican food grocer - lard is huge in Mexican cuisine. It's called Manteca in Spanish. I can't find lard in any of the white-bread grocery stores.

I second your thoughts on the inclusion of bacon when cooking green beans - adding the grease makes them scrumptious.

Tom Wolfe's book, A Man in Full, had a scene in which one of the main characters would bring guests to his modern day plantation in South Georgia (below the Gnat Line as is said there) and his cook would wow them with her cooking. They would always demand her to come from the kitchen so they could express their appreciation, and ultimately ask what was the secret behind the flavor. "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the world of grease!"

Back to the raw milk thing, I remember now why I decided it wasn't for me after reading the article. The high risks if the farmer isn't extremely cautious in handling. I have always drank a lot of milk, but since I started doing the low-carb way of eating I've stayed away because milk encourages me to eat stuff I really shouldn't (everything from cookies to PBJ sandwiches).

Cancer is a 20th century disease ...

Found at ACS :: The History of Cancer

Human beings have had cancer throughout recorded history. So it is no surprise that from the dawn of history people have written about cancer. Some of the earliest evidence of cancer is found among fossilized bone tumors, human mummies in ancient Egypt, and ancient manuscripts. Bone remains of mummies have revealed growths suggestive of the bone cancer, osteosarcoma. Bony skull destruction as seen in cancer of the head and neck has been found, too.

Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 1600 B.C. It is called the Edwin Smith Papyrus, and is a copy of part of an ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were treated by cauterization, with a tool called the fire drill. The writing says about the disease, "There is no treatment."

Back
Top Bottom