Fruits, Veggies, Cancer study

I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure brussel sprouts cause cancer. And isn't tobacco a vegetable?

I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure brussel sprouts cause cancer. And isn't tobacco a vegetable?

It is if you are a tobacco worm.

Vodka is a vegetable if it is potato vodka. OTOH, grain vodka is bad for you.

Ha

Yeah, I bought some French tequila once. I'm pretty sure it gave me cancer. Or something with similar symptoms. :nonono:

Vodka is a vegetable if it is potato vodka. OTOH, grain vodka is bad for you.
That's why I drink vodka and tonic water with a twist. You got yourself a veggie serving, a fruit serving, a little H2O to keep yourself properly hydrated, and you got that mediciney / healthy sounding tonic stuff. They should serve them in health food stores.

I hope its correct. I barely touch veggies and am far to low on fruits. Its pills and fiber for me. Nothing I have tried can cure my aversion to veggies.

Vodka is a vegetable if it is potato vodka.
That's why I drink vodka and tonic water with a twist. You got yourself a veggie serving, a fruit serving, a little H2O to keep yourself properly hydrated, and you got that mediciney / healthy sounding tonic stuff. They should serve them in health food stores.
Great tips. I really need to spend more time here in the health forum – it’s clear the people who post here are quuite focused on quality of life and add a unique view I’m unlikely to find elsewhere. :cool:

The worst symptoms I ever had came from tequila ( cactus is a plant right) or the stomach flu I had last week. Oh yeah they were similar.

aaagh.... "veggies." When did everyone start talking baby talk?

Sorry, just a pet peeve...I don't even talk baby talk to babies! Only to cats :)

Amethyst

Veggies! What's wrong with veggies! Great word!

My brother-in-law loves to say "weg-e-tub-bels" with an Indian accent while doing his head side-to-side. I could do that!

Audrey

aaagh.... "veggies." When did everyone start talking baby talk?

:LOL: I'm with you Amethyst. I have a male friend that says taters and mash-er-taters for mashed potatoes. It pains me even to write it because I can hear him say it as I write.

Oh man, I hate baby talkers and now I find out I am one.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us - Burns

"And some dietary rules are still sure things. Red meat has long been linked to cancers of the digestive tract, and obesity is a known risk factor for several cancers. "

Well if obesity is a known risk factor for several caners, doesn't it make sense to eat fruits and veggies as opposed to fried foods and sweets? I sure don't eliminate fried stuff and sweets totally, but I have been eating more apples as snacks and less fried foods and I have lost some weight. Seems to me if I can get to a desirable slim weight, my odds of reducing cancer risk will be better. Fruits and veggies is a good way to help get there.

From the report:

Researchers suspect that those who consume more fruits and vegetables are also less likely to smoke or drink to excess, and more likely to exercise regularly and avoid red meat. Those factors, rather than fruit and vegetable consumption, could explain their lower rates of cancer.

I think this is more to do with with the lower chances of cancer than simply increasing the amount of fruit and veg you eat. I sure hope so as DW and I are in this group (we do eat some red meat, maybe once or twice a month).

Its best to simply eat a variety of healthy foods IMO. Fruits, Veggies, Meats, etc... i swear by raw dairy as well.

Its best to simply eat a variety of healthy foods IMO. Fruits, Veggies, Meats, etc... i swear by raw dairy as well.

Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy? Back in the Midwest it was illegal to sell raw milk; we got it from a farmer who just left a price list out; you had to know where the farm was and use stealth.

btw, welcome to the forum, Sidekickeh. Be sure to go over to the "Hi, I am" section and introduce yourself.

Just curious, where do you get the raw dairy? Back in the Midwest it was illegal to sell raw milk; we got it from a farmer who just left a price list out; you had to know where the farm was and use stealth.
I just read an article (think it was WSJ) about raw milk. It's still much like you describe, depending on the location.

I have to ask, what benefits does one get from raw milk? It wasn't really clear from the article that I read.

I just read an article (think it was WSJ) about raw milk. It's still much like you describe, depending on the location.

I have to ask, what benefits does one get from raw milk? It wasn't really clear from the article that I read.

I don't really know anything about raw milk; I was just visiting and was fascinated with the stealth techniques for getting it & very amused in taking the tour out to the farm. There was a funny story about my mom who was mad at a neighbor for waiting several decades to let her in on the secret of where the farm was.

Maybe Sidekickeh will come over here and enlighten us.

EDIT: Here's a thread about milk that went 185 posts, apparently the cream didn't rise to the top and the mods of the time closed it.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/who-knows-about-milk-30257.html

Last edited:
Supposedly, the pasteurazation of milk changes the protein structure. Cooking meat does the same thing. Also there are enzymes that are destroyed by heat. It also kills bacteria and some milk borne diseases are pretty horrible. Many states ban the sale of raw milk but not all. Some allow it only for animal food. If you want it, it is important to be sure the farmer is very clean in all the handling of the milk as well as your own practices.

Yogurt & cheese are ways of preserving milk by use of good bacteria. But contamination is still a danger.

The Inuit eating their native diet had no cancer or heart disease. No or vey little vegs or fruits in that diet. Lots of animal fat & they ate the organs. This study simply supports this long known fact.

Cancer is a 20th century disease so the answer probably lies in the changes since then. There's a lot of junk science in medicine & nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom