Grow a retirement beard?

F briefly grew a beard after retirement because of the cost of shaving supplies, although he prefers to be clean shaven.

Then he read about Dollar Shave Club and Harry's, and joined Harry's. So far, so good. :D

Last edited:
It's hard to grow a beard for retirement when you've had one for over 30 years...

+1 First grew a beard when I was a senior in HS, baseball coach didn't like that. I've had one for the last 37 years with maybe 3 interludes of several months when I was looking for a job and wanted to [-]mislead people[/-] present a more clean cut appearance.

DH grew his hair and beard out for a couple of years, but shaved this past summer again and cut his hair. He'd always been clean shaven and short hair while he was working. Some folks who've only known him since he quit working can't get used to him with short hair and no beard.
But the hair just got...awkward for him. He couldn't figure out why he kept getting mistaken for some kinda hippie, lol.

Attachments

• 10397172_1509249459307050_4254287809098540231_o.jpg
    10397172_1509249459307050_4254287809098540231_o.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 9
  • GBD Paramotor.jpg
    GBD Paramotor.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 10
Been growing a pre-retirement beard since January - trying to get to the look of Alessandro Manfredini - (Italian model). There's a fine line beween hip and hillbilly, though. :)
Alessandro Manfredini

Been growing a pre-retirement beard since January - trying to get to the look of Alessandro Manfredini - (Italian model). There's a fine line beween hip and hillbilly, though. :)
Alessandro Manfredini

Dunno about that. We frequent a lot of "hipster" bars and concerts (well, nowhere near as much as we'd like yet!), and if it exists, that line is so fine that we can't see it. (OTOH, maybe the "line" is buying $10+ cocktails for your date while drinking PBR?!)

Dunno about that. We frequent a lot of "hipster" bars and concerts (well, nowhere near as much as we'd like yet!), and if it exists, that line is so fine that we can't see it. (OTOH, maybe the "line" is buying $10+ cocktails for your date while drinking PBR?!)

Living in Austin, I deliberately avoided the word "hipster" and kept with "hip". And, oh yeah, there are plenty of hipsters here!:cool:

I keep telling DW that I'm going all Willie Nelson on her once I retire (pony tail and scraggly beard). She just laughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

.......looking for a job and wanted to [-]mislead people[/-] present a more clean cut appearance.

Been there, done that.....:LOL: Had a beard, (on and off...more on than off), since I could grow one.......shaved it for a job interview at "MegaTel".....first day there, looked around the sales department, saw a couple beards; started growing mine back as soon as I 'reasonably' could, (perhaps during my first vacation, in order to avoid showing up with bristly look).

Grew a mustache after retiring from the Air Force and have had it ever since. Added a goatee for a couple of years but didn't like it that much.

There was actually a worthwhile health benefit from the mustache. Before, I used to get a cold sore on my lip at least a couple of times a year. Since growing the mustache, not even once.

About the same here, can't remember exactly.

DW won't let me shave it (I did once on a lark, a group of us at work did it for some odd reason - she didn't like it). Kept the mustache though, that's been a loooong time.

-ERD50

Exact opposite. I had the beard (on a lark, a group of us at work). Had to cut it off to get a second or third date. Kept the mustache.

I haven't grown any facial hair since retirement for 2 reasons - 1. DW, 2.weird combo of salt/pepper. I may go with a mustache/goatee someday.

Hopefully I still have enough hair in four years to grow it out when I retire from the Navy. Dunno about facial hair. We'll see! Can't wait to have the option!

Won't get away with a beard with DW. I do predict a pony tail is in my future. No more barbers for me.

Having an ER beard makes me look older, which is actually an advantage in that it greatly reduces the number of "You're too young to retire!" comments from others.

I waited until I'd been retired nine years to grow a beard. Kept it about 18 months before tiring of it. DW didn't notice I'd shaved it until three days after the fact when someone commented it was gone...:nonono:

OMG that's funny!

My dad was an engineer/program manager for a defense contractor for his career - when he retired the first thing he did was grow a full beard. My mom wasn't thrilled but he kept it well groomed, although long. My stepmom (after mom passed) loved the beard.

My husband kept the same facial hair when he retired early 2014... mustache and goatee. Prior to that he had a mustache. I've actually never seen his upper lip - and it kind of bugs me.

I did not grow a beard, or even stop shaving my legs when I retired. LOL

Reminds me of a bit by grizzled Detective Belker from the old Hill Street Blues TV series:

Belker: Captain, I need to leave early today to take my mom to the doctor.
Captain: Sure. Hope your mom isn't sick.
Belker: She's having female problems - she don't look like one...

Yes, but I mow (trim) it once a week. When I was a teen long hair was in style. I wanted to use the family car, my dad said no, not until you get a haircut. I tried to argue my case by telling him Jesus had long hair. He smiled and said "Jesus walked every where he went.

So now retired, I have not had a hair cut since. Take that old man!

I have always had a mustache and goatee. This year (retired now 1 year) I just started growing the beard. In fact just the last week and so far it seems fine. My wife is fine with it and I love NOT shaving everyday. We will see how long I keep it.

Back
Top Bottom