H1N1

What Is Your H1N1 Infection/Vaccine Status?

• I've already had the disease.

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • I've had the vaccine

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I want the vaccine, but haven't yet been able to get it.

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • I don't want the vaccine.

Votes: 26 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am getting a physical in January since my older sister is having a cardiac catheterization after Christmas. I figure that she is my "mine canary"...cardiac issues are prevalent on the paternal side. I have not had her high blood pressure issues but mine was a little high recently. I intend to ask if the H1N1 vaccine is available at my PCPs at this time. I will get it if it is going to waste.

I have Kaiser and while they are offering the H1N1 immunization, I am not on the list to receive it because I'm either too old or too young and don't have any underlying health problems. So I stood in line on a cold morning last week to get the immunization from the county health department who has removed any limitations on who can and who can't get one. I'm very happy that I was able to get it.

The vaccine has been unavailable here in our rural area, and now, all of a sudden they have a surplus, and are giving free shots for anyone on Saturday. I wonder whether it will be crowded?

The Illinois Department of Public Health announced last week they were lifting the restrictions on who could get the H1N1 vaccines, so starting this week anyone who wanted to get the shot could....for FREE!

Our county health department has been having 'clinics' in the various communities around, and today was our town's 'clinic'. We arrived about 20 minutes before the doors officially opened, and were handed a form to fill out. As soon as the doors were opened, everyone streamed in (and amazingly, in a very orderly manner....I was amazed!). They had 2 people looking over the forms to make sure they were properly filled out, they then gave you a number, and you got in line. We were # 81 and #82, and it took less than 15 minutes in line to get the shot and be on our way. They had 16 people sticking the needles in, and as soon as one was done, a worker would direct the next person in line to that spot.

There were probably about 50-60 people behind us in line, but I'm sure more were going to show up after school or work, and many were waiting until later, so they wouldn't have to stand in line....which they wouldn't have had to anyway, since they really kept things moving right a long.

So let's see...I had my regular flu shot in October at the Kroger pharmacy...I had the pneumonia shot at the Doc's office last week...and I got the H1N1 shot today. So hopefully my 'pin-cushion' days are over for a while! :rolleyes:

DW and I got our shots today at a huge free county health department clinic. I was shocked when I walked into the building to see several hundred people in line, but they were very well organized and I was out in 30 minutes. DW went late and just walked in and was taken care of immediately. Too bad it takes 2 weeks to really provide immunization, as we travel in a few days.

Well, I've heard (and contributed) to a lot of maligning of the Canadian heath care system. I finally broke down and got the shot today. Our province has had mass, free immunizations for month or two. I didn't bother because the lineups were too long. Today was the last day (because of little public interest) so I dropped in. Took about 30 minutes.

I think the media is saying that about 75% of our population has put up with the BS involved. How does that compare with my southern neighbours?

Our city health department was giving free H1N1 vaccinations at the mall last week. It was limited to people in the higher risk categories, which I was sure did not include me. However, little did I know that having Gilbert's Syndrome would count as a qualifying liver disease, so I got one.

There was no one in line, as they were all busy with their Christmas shopping. The longest part was filling out the paperwork. In all, it was less than 5 minutes - start to finish.

I feel somewhat better about the property tax check I just wrote to the city.

Well, I've heard (and contributed) to a lot of maligning of the Canadian heath care system. I finally broke down and got the shot today. Our province has had mass, free immunizations for month or two. I didn't bother because the lineups were too long. Today was the last day (because of little public interest) so I dropped in. Took about 30 minutes.

I think the media is saying that about 75% of our population has put up with the BS involved. How does that compare with my southern neighbours?

I'm not sure about immunization rates, but I'd say where I am in the southeast US in the city, h1n1 shots are easy to find. They have opened up immunizations to all people (not just high risk). All of our county (municipal) health clinics have been giving free h1n1 shots for a few months. Lines aren't too bad now I have heard.

Just got mine this morning and the kids got their 2nd (and final) dose.

I kind of think I already had the h1n1 but wasn't really sure so better safe than sorry.

We got the shots at our doctor's office and the insurance will pick up the tab for administering the shot ($10 each discount rate). The US government apparently is providing the flu shots free of charge to dr's offices and government health clinics.

and the wife?

No. She may try elsewhere like the free clinics or an urgent care place.

She may have already had the actual h1n1 virus. Also, she gets a lot of protection by virtue of everyone else in her immediate family having the immunization (micro herd immunity). We seem to catch everything from our kids, so them getting immunized will hopefully help with us avoiding the h1n1.

No. She may try elsewhere like the free clinics or an urgent care place.

I was just wondering as you said (I think it was you) in another thread you were going to give the doctors office an ultimatum today, give your wife the shot too or you'll take your business elsewhere. Just wondering how that played out.

I was just wondering as you said (I think it was you) in another thread you were going to give the doctors office an ultimatum today, give your wife the shot too or you'll take your business elsewhere. Just wondering how that played out.

Anti-climatically. Wife doesn't really care that much. No ultimatum given. It is kind of hard with the bifurcated system in most medical offices. The front desk receptionist staff/schedulers don't know much medically. The nurses don't deal with billing nor do they have authority to make exceptions to corporate policy. The dr's are difficult to get to talk to unless you don't mind waiting for a while. The billing dept doesn't know anything medically related.

But I do like the dr's as they seem very knowledgeable, they have a nice comfortable office, and it is very conveniently located to home, work and daycare. Devil you do know is better than the devil you don't know sort of thing. Looking back on the last 5-6 years we have brought our family there, they have been very helpful many times as well. So I guess you take the good w/ the bad.

It was pretty crowded last Saturday at the free H1N1. The wait was 1.5 hours at 11 AM, so I came back at 12:30 and only waited 36 minutes. They vaccinated 2,000 people.

Got the seasonal version in October and just got the H1N1 yesterday. Only had a 5 minute wait at the Army base clinic as most patients are on leave and the staff was basically goofing off. Bring on the bugs~I'm protected!:whistle:

Ya might want to hold off a couple of weeks on that H1N1 invitation. I understand it takes a little while for the immunization to become effective.

Ya might want to hold off a couple of weeks on that H1N1 invitation. I understand it takes a little while for the immunization to become effective.
And, it's only like 60% effective even when you have waited the usual 6 weeks for full response to occur (though such breakthrough cases are probably milder).

DH and I had our H1N1 shots 12/14/09. Our health dept had the vacinne and the hospital administered the shots at the mall, so charged $10.00 per shot. I am going on a cruise next month and want to be as protected as possible. We both had the regular flu shot earlier.

This might be of interest to some folks that aren't aware. I'm taking the family on holiday to the US next week (first time in 3 years I've been back too) so I checked into travel insurance.

If you read all the fine print, none of the policies covered pandemics or epidemics. Since the H1N1 is classified a pandemic by the WHO, travel insurance won't pay if you get it.

Oh well, signed up anyway, travel insurance is really cheap for a lot of coverage.

EDIT: It does however cover acts of terrorism, which may be more helpful than the H1N1 coverage this season.

EDIT: It does however cover acts of terrorism, which may be more helpful than the H1N1 coverage this season.

Don't forget your man-purse, because you won't be allowed any other carry-on, except the diaper bag!

Don't forget your man-purse, because you won't be allowed any other carry-on, except the diaper bag!

Yeah, not looking forward to the travel portion of the trip. However, we're flying US Air for the transatlantic portion and they're currently letting one carry-on per person still. It's just flights from Canada that are banned from carry-on's at the moment. Of course it may change (and I have alternate plans for our gear if they do.) We're not taking much on the way since we plan to do some clothes shopping while there.

US Airways | Fly with US

Yeah, not looking forward to the travel portion of the trip. However, we're flying US Air for the transatlantic portion and they're currently letting one carry-on per person still. It's just flights from Canada that are banned from carry-on's at the moment. Of course it may change (and I have alternate plans for our gear if they do.) We're not taking much on the way since we plan to do some clothes shopping while there.

US Airways | Fly with US

I didn't realize that this "no carry on" rule was specific to Canadian flights entering the US. I guess it's really aimed at minimizing delays in the holiday travel period rather than at improving security!

Hmm what to do. We chose not to have the H1N1 shots, but then we have never had a flu shot in our lives. However, DH found out today that someone he works with and shook hands with last Friday has been diagnosed so now he is all panicky. I would imagine it would likely be too late for the vaccination to have any effect, rather that it might just be best to be on the lookout for symptoms.

Anyone with any input on the situation?

I would recommend going with the fist bump from now on. Hip, PC, and far less germy.

img_893065_0_0720c0e366c4b01270fd186dc58e32be.gif

Back
Top Bottom