Join Early Retirement Today

Have you heard of angiogenesis?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you heard of angiogenesis?

A friend of mine sent me this link for a video this morning. It was a very interesting presentation and I enjoyed it very much, so I thought I'd share this here. It talks about how cancer (and obesity) can be controlled by drugs and food that affect angiogenesis (the physiological process through which new blood vessels form from pre-existing vessels.) I knew some foods were cancer fighting but I didn't know the mechanism behind it, or to what degree. BTW, the obesity part of the presentation was such an eye opener to me.

https://www.ted.com/talks/william_li?language=en

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
A friend of mine sent me this link for a video this morning. It was a very interesting presentation and I enjoyed it very much, so I thought I'd share this here. It talks about how cancer (and obesity) can be controlled by drugs and food that affect angiogenesis (the physiological process through which new blood vessels form from pre-existing vessels.) I knew some foods were cancer fighting but I didn't know the mechanism behind it, or to what degree. BTW, the obesity part of the presentation was such an eye opener to me.

https://www.ted.com/talks/william_li?language=en
Yes I have. I've published on the mechanisms that control it in embryos.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Rimshot!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Nice!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

And here I thought it was the group for whom Phil Collins played drums.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
And here I thought it was the group for whom Phil Collins played drums.
no, no, no...it's the first book of the bible.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Thanks for posting the video link. I found it very interesting. I have been eating more fruit and vegetables and exercising for the last 2-3 weeks.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Thanks for posting the video link. I found it very interesting. I have been eating more fruit and vegetables and exercising for the last 2-3 weeks.
I am glad you enjoyed it.
What was interesting to me was

1) Once cancer starts mutating, although antiangiogenic drugs do work, they work only up to a point. The key is to be preventative.
2) Some antiangiogenic foods are as good as drugs - some far better (according to the graph).
3) Earl grey is highly antiangiogenic in comparison to green tea and jasmine tea, but green tea/jasmine tea blend has a much better antiangiogenic effect than green tea alone, jasmine tea alone, or Earl grey alone. (A big surprise to me..)
4) Same antiangiogenic treatments work for obese rats with the obesity gene, to lost weight (This one was my biggest surprise of all!)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #9

Another big concentration for cancer research is apoptosis....cell death. Cancer is abnormal grown of cells caused by errors in growth regulation and cell death. It is also highly varied and treatment is different for each cancer and potentially for each patient.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another big concentration for cancer research is apoptosis....cell death. Cancer is abnormal grown of cells caused by errors in growth regulation and cell death. It is also highly varied and treatment is different for each cancer and potentially for each patient.

You mean smoking weed and taking lavender-infused green tea enemas won't cure "cancer"?

[/woo]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

I have antiangiogenisis drugs injected into my eyeballs about 6x a year to control the wet form of macular degeneration. Have been doing this since 2006. The shots ( and God) have maintained my eyesight.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I have antiangiogenisis drugs injected into my eyeballs about 6x a year to control the wet form of macular degeneration. Have been doing this since 2006. The shots ( and God) have maintained my eyesight.

I am very sorry that you have to go through that 6 times a year, but I am very happy for you that the drugs are available for your condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum