Health Savings

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
A local chain store (Meijer) has a little indicator on the sales receipt concerning "items that may be eligible for reimbursement from your FSA/HSA/HRA".

Neat - walmart doesn't do this.

I usually just put my OTC meds on the checkout line last and then I mark them once I get the receipt before putting the receipt in the receipt box.

Many of the stores are starting to do this. Some even give you the total of those items.

Many of the stores are starting to do this. Some even give you the total of those items.

Don't know if Meijer does so. This is the first I noticed and it was only one item (reading glasses).

Don't know if Meijer does so. This is the first I noticed and it was only one item (reading glasses).

I noticed this just recently on a CVS receipt AFTER I had already filled in a claim for my FSA and saw that one of the items I had claimed for was not listed. However, since I'd bought it (Swan Citrate of Magnesia) as part of the colonoscopy preparation I claimed anyway (couldn't be bothered to change the form). The company reimbursed no problem.

So, while this is a useful feature, it is obviously not 100% accurate.

I noticed this just recently on a CVS receipt AFTER I had already filled in a claim for my FSA and saw that one of the items I had claimed for was not listed. However, since I'd bought it (Swan Citrate of Magnesia) as part of the colonoscopy preparation I claimed anyway (couldn't be bothered to change the form). The company reimbursed no problem.

So, while this is a useful feature, it is obviously not 100% accurate.

Citrate of Magnesia is probably considered a supplement/vitamin. Those aren't FSA/HSA eligible medical expenses for some reason. Even though my doc recommended I take fish oil pills daily for treatment of a specific condition, it isn't deductible (for example). Same with DW's calcium and iron pills taken during pregnancy to treat specific mineral deficiencies noted from blood lab tests and lifestyle interview questions. Even multivitamins aren't deductible, even though that has been recommended to both of us by our doctors...

My guess is that they don't want to have bodybuilders taking $100 of protein supplements every month getting a big tax break. Or alternative medicine folks getting a break.

Citrate of Magnesia is probably considered a supplement/vitamin. Those aren't FSA/HSA eligible medical expenses for some reason. Even though my doc recommended I take fish oil pills daily for treatment of a specific condition, it isn't deductible (for example). Same with DW's calcium and iron pills taken during pregnancy to treat specific mineral deficiencies noted from blood lab tests and lifestyle interview questions. Even multivitamins aren't deductible, even though that has been recommended to both of us by our doctors...

My guess is that they don't want to have bodybuilders taking $100 of protein supplements every month getting a big tax break. Or alternative medicine folks getting a break.

Thanks for the feedback. DW takes OTC calcium pills as recommended by her Dr for her Osteopena(?) and I've been claiming them back no problem. I just printed out a list of eligible expenses for my FSA and in the OTC list it includes Calcium but not Iron or Magnesium. It includes Aspirin and Headache Relief (Acetomenophin, Ibuprofen, etc), minerals, motion sickness and St Johnswort.

Possibly, different FSA plans differ in what they cover.

Possibly, different FSA plans differ in what they cover.

Maybe. It isn't really clear to me, however the dollar amounts in question aren't large enough for me to worry about. So I err on the conservative side and don't include vitamins, minerals, etc. as "medical expenses". No audits for me over $3 bottles of vitamins!!! ;)

I did a google search and there does seem to be an exception to the exclusion of vitamins, supplements, and minerals when a doctor has recommended them for specific medical conditions. Not sure if "nutritional deficiency" is a sufficient diagnosis for me to deduct my vitamins. Seems like "borderline anemic with low blood iron" would be a sufficient diagnosis to warrant deducting iron pills.

These types of things just can't be for one's general well-being - it has to treat a specific condition.

Maybe. It isn't really clear to me, however the dollar amounts in question aren't large enough for me to worry about. So I err on the conservative side and don't include vitamins, minerals, etc. as "medical expenses". No audits for me over $3 bottles of vitamins!!! ;)

I did a google search and there does seem to be an exception to the exclusion of vitamins, supplements, and minerals when a doctor has recommended them for specific medical conditions. Not sure if "nutritional deficiency" is a sufficient diagnosis for me to deduct my vitamins. Seems like "borderline anemic with low blood iron" would be a sufficient diagnosis to warrant deducting iron pills.

These types of things just can't be for one's general well-being - it has to treat a specific condition.

I agree, but I'm curious as to who would do the audit. When I submit a claim for the OTC things I add notes if needed to clarify, although I certainly have never attempted to claim vitamins or minerals. Does not the firm who manages the FSA and from whose website I printed the list audit each claim?

I agree, but I'm curious as to who would do the audit. When I submit a claim for the OTC things I add notes if needed to clarify, although I certainly have never attempted to claim vitamins or minerals. Does not the firm who manages the FSA and from whose website I printed the list audit each claim?

Presumably. I guess I'm talking about a slightly different thing - I have an HSA where I'm responsible for reimbursing myself. So the only entity that would potentially audit me would be the IRS.

Back
Top Bottom