Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #41
Administrator

I think that if I were motivated to make a change, like you are, I'd sign up for a month with a trainer at the gym, preferably a burly, handsome one (why not go for the good scenery? ) who is pretty demanding and won't let his clients get away with anything.

If you don't have a good gym where you live, then vacation for a month somewhere that does have a gym.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the idea is exercising for the health benefits, that's good. But I've lost faith in the idea that exercise helps one lose weight.

Does Exercise Really Make Us Thinner? -- New York Magazine

Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm managing my weight and exercise with moderate success, but I doubt that any of the approaches mentioned in this thread so far would work for me. If I have to think about what I eat or whether or how to exercise, I'll eventually start making the wrong decisions. So for eating, I just have prohibitions: no sweets, no bread, nothing to eat or drink before 10am. For exercise, I do exactly the same routine every morning: run the same course for 30 minutes, do the same calisthenics in the same order for about 30 minutes -- no exceptions. I don't have to think whether to do it or think about it as I'm doing it.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Losing weight, really losing it, and keeping it off is one of life's biggest challenges, short of life and death challenges.

One possibility is to kind of give up- accept being overweight, but don't go all the way to obese. Much research shows that the advantages of being skinny are over-hyped, just one more way to mess up our heads.

I don't get the idea that Martha at this point in her life is keen on a lot of difficulty. I am thin, and have always been thin- but my health is no better than a lot of people my age who are definitely not thin.

For many people, perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 or us, low carb works both weight wise and emotionally. But you have to be kind of self directed, even though it is not possible to conclusively prove that long term extreme low carb (or high protein, high fat) diets are not deleterious. Almost every day, ads, doctors, etc. will be on tv equating dietary fat with ill health. And you will not know for certain that they are wrong.

You also have to be the kind of person who is ok with pork rinds unaccompanied by beer. And, unless you live in the south, you have to be OK with going into bad neighborhoods to score your pork rinds.

Ha
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #45

True about the pork rinds, although I can testify that in the South, they are far easier to score, and in upscale 'hoods as well. Let me know if you need me to send you some for Christmas, Ha.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hey, chicharrons are available in any grocery in the north as well - northern Mexico, that is...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Almost every day, ads, doctors, etc. will be on tv equating dietary fat with ill health. And you will not know for certain that they are wrong.
That is so true. Recently, when I asked a grocery clerk where the pork rinds were, she took me to the aisle, and then smiled, tapped me with the back of her hand, and said "Are those things good for you?" I said "They're the healthiest thing on this entire aisle."

I view advice to avoid saturated fat the same way I view advice to hire a financial planner, time the market, buy a big house as an investment, or plan for needing 70% of your pre-retirement income when you retire.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pork rinds dipped in sour cream: Do you put anything to taste in the sour cream? Otherwise, yuk! Anything that really turned out great you put in the sour cream I should try? I'm game for this treat.

(Finally got off my duff and started in lifting weights again and working out with my old ab roller...now it starts I hope.)
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #49

I mix cumin with sour cream when I'm flavoring it as a dip, and sometimes thin it with yogurt.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pork rinds dipped in sour cream: Do you put anything to taste in the sour cream? Otherwise, yuk!
No, nothing else. Trust me and verify it yourself -- it tastes great! The chicharones are usually a little too salty, and the sour cream balances this well.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Most posts on this thread crack me up! We all went from "Heatlh and Weight Loss" to pork rinds and sour cream dip in just 2 pages?!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Well, you wouldn't expect us to stop at just one pork rind posting, would you?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Sex is next. Now, about that sour cream...