Healthcare Systems Are Always in Crisis - Good Read

tomz

Recycles dryer sheets
This article from the Chairman of the Harris Poll is somewhat cynical about the prospects for the "ideal health system". If cynical is too strong, let's say reality-based. Unfortunately, he's right, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

The Sky Is Falling

He's right. There is no "utopian" healthcare system. There are tradeoffs no matter which way you go. There is always room for improvement.

Yes! But it is not an excuse for not improving the situation. :mad:

My main gripes are about insurance companies red lining individuals that are not in groups negotiated by corp America. Also about Hospitals charging individuals higher rates than someone who has insurance.

There are some problems that could be addressed.

People who have nothing or the working poor just file bankruptcy, the costs get shifted to us. Bottom line health care is paid for. Via insurance, Meidcare, Medicaid, cost shifting to the rest of us... especially the catastrophic stuff.... people go to the emergency room when they have catastrophic situations and they are not turned away (some hospital will take them).

My point. We collectively are already paying for universal health care... but in the worst of ways. The working poor just has to wait until they have massive health problems to go to the doctor and therefore not be able to manage things early causing even more expense.

We are in a situation today where a few exploit this disparity and get wealthy (insurance companies). We need legislative change to level the playing field a little more. I like out private system... but something needs to be done. I will repeat, we are paying for it anyway! :confused:

Yes, and some politicans are talking about modeling the British system --- scares me.

chinaco said:
.... Bottom line health care is paid for. Via insurance, Meidcare, Medicaid, cost shifting to the rest of us... especially the catastrophic stuff.... people go to the emergency room when they have catastrophic situations and they are not turned away (some hospital will take them).

My point. We collectively are already paying for universal health care... but in the worst of ways. The working poor just has to wait until they have massive health problems to go to the doctor and therefore not be able to manage things early causing even more expense.

..... I will repeat, we are paying for it anyway! :confused:

Agreed!!!

Back
Top Bottom