Help For Groin Pull

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have had an adductor strain on one hip for several years.

I do stretches etc, but it always comes back with enough activity. It seems that hill walking or running is a problem, as is tango dancing which is much like Tai Chi in that is requires a lot of long leg stretches and trunk twisting.

I really do not want to curtail these activities, but it gets old to run home and ice up my upper leg most nights.

I know there are many heavy duty athletes on this board- what have you found to help with this problem?

Thanks,

Ha

Last edited:
The alternative to trying to fix a specific problem is to strengthen the muscles around it, to take the strain off the problem area.

I have no idea how to do that in this case, though. A good physical therapist should, if it's possible.

Blue liqua gel advils 600 mg every 6 hours for two days ice and rest. Then when you start again ease into the workout or dance. seriously, the rest and ice will help early on, then the advil will help with the swelling.

They are hard to treat and tend to linger, you use those muscles in so much from sitting then going to a standing position, walking running dancing. in and out of cars buses etc.

When all else fails stopping the activity for a week may do the trick along with good single malt scotch.

When all else fails stopping the activity for a week may do the trick along with good single malt scotch.

That's the sort of medical advice I like to get. If only the single malt could be a prescription medication. :p

HAHA, I've had the exact same problem since Sept. Actually went to a general surgeon who suggested many of the remedies already listed by others on this thread. None have worked.

You may have a hernia. Very common. If this is confirmed by a Clinician, they now perform day surg. & insert a piece of high-tech mesh in the weakened area. Done under a local & you're good to go in a few hours.

I've personally decided to coexist with this condition unless it dramatically deteriorates. I'm careful what I lift and always favor my other side. Best of luck with this chronic & nagging injury.

HAHA, I've had the exact same problem since Sept. Actually went to a general surgeon who suggested many of the remedies already listed by others on this thread. None have worked.

You may have a hernia. Very common. If this is confirmed by a Clinician, they now perform day surg. & insert a piece of high-tech mesh in the weakened area. Done under a local & you're good to go in a few hours.

I've personally decided to coexist with this condition unless it dramatically deteriorates. I'm careful what I lift and always favor my other side. Best of luck with this chronic & nagging injury.

Thanks for this suggestion, and thanks to everyone else for their help. I ordered the self-massage book mentioned (from Amazon as there is long waiting list for it at the library.

Re: the hernia, I just had amy annual physical this week and he did check this for me. So I think my injury is the more classical muscle strain in the area.

I have figured out that the major stress on it is if I stretch the leg forward, and at the same time counter-rotate my trunk. So if my leg (affected leg) is stretched forward and I am twisting my trunk to look way around over my left shoulder- it will hurt, and set me up for soreness. :(

I am hoping that the massage book will help. It is hard to find massage therapists who are eager to start digging into the groin- I think it worries their little "I am a massage therapist" brain area.

Ha

I am hoping that the massage book will help. It is hard to find massage therapists who are eager to start digging into the groin- I think it worries their little "I am a massage therapist" brain area.

Ha

HaHa - if the self-treatment doesn't work, I second the recommendation to see a good physical therapist (of course, I'm a bit biased!:D). You likely have a muscle imbalance in either flexibility or strength (or most likely both) and specific exercises may prove helpful. A therapist would be able to do a thorough evaluation. Just make sure you find a good one (someone who has additional training in manual therapy would likely be your best bet).

..... It is hard to find massage therapists who are eager to start digging into the groin- I think it worries their little "I am a massage therapist" brain area.
Ha

Reminded of my young nephew who heard his parents talking about him going through a growing spurt and then regaled others by anouncing he had had a groin spurt.

I've personally decided to coexist with this condition unless it dramatically deteriorates.

Reconsider this. My dad had a hernia for years. When he finally wanted to get it fixed, he was too old for the surgery. Think about having it fixed while you can still heal easily.

I been going through a pull for the last couple weeks. I been taking the time to stretch longer. Just babied it along.

I ordered the self-massage book mentioned (from Amazon as there is long waiting list for it at the library).

I don't think you want the library copy anyway.

But seriously, this sounds like my back muscle problem. My strategy is to exercise those muscles as hard as possible without causing a new strain. I favor strength building exercises over stretches.

The goal is to give myself Arnold Schwarzenegger back muscles, but without overdoing it. I trade constant slight soreness for occasional traumatic muscle pulls.

So, I went to the doctor, and I said I have a groin pull. And I ask him how to keep that from happening, and his answer?

"Quit pulling on your groin".............

Ha, I have little to add (aside from even more tasteless jokes) except possibly that you might want to search out a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy). These folks are full medical doctors but their training emphasizes dealing with muculo-skeletal issues and the ones that haven't slipped into basically being drug-happy MDs are adept at physical therapy type stuff.

Never would have known about DOs if my SIL hadn't become one.

Ha, I have little to add (aside from even more tasteless jokes)

LOL, I never knew a groin pull could be such a fertile field for jokes. :)

Anyway, it still hurts like hell. Next week I am going to see my MD, who will give me a referral to a Sports Medicine clinic to see a PT who is supposedly trained and experienced inn this area.

I will also look into this DO angle, thanks.

Ha

who is supposedly trained and experienced inn this area.

Wow, just keep putting them across the plate, slow and easy, ha. ;)

There should be someone out there who can help. Its not like you are the only one that ever had this problem in the history of the human race.

I will also look into this DO angle, thanks.

Ha
There are quite a few DO's working with workmens comp cases.
They see many strains--sprains--pains--pulls-- well you get the idea.

FWIW, we always go with a DO. They often tend to go for solving the problems rather than pumping pills to cover up the symptoms.

People also arent sure WTF they are and think automatically that they're weird medical practitioners or that they dont have the same training as an MD. That means they're often more available and accepting patients, which is great if you're in a tight plan like Kaiser.

So, I went to the doctor, and I said I have a groin pull. And I ask him how to keep that from happening, and his answer?

"Quit pulling on your groin".............

Jeez Louise Dude...read back up to post #4...I was in on that WAY early... ;)

Back
Top Bottom