Single home exercise machine for senior fitness?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve reluctantly decided that due to mild osteoarthritis in a couple of spots (upper and lower spine, knees, possibly hips), a nagging rotator cuff problem and having just passed my 76th birthday, it might be time to reevaluate my overall fitness program with a view toward toning it down a bit. I’d like to be easier on my joints and work more on flexibility while maintaining a regular and vigorous cardio/aerobic regimen and (judiciously) working as many muscles as possible. Toward that end I’m considering buying a piece of home exercise equipment that will help meet as many fitness goals as possible. (To be clear, those goals are to maintain good health and fitness but not to become a world class athlete.) My instinct is to go with a Concept 2 rower. But I’m curious what other “old folks” who have found themselves in similar circumstances may have found for solutions. Are there machines you’ve found helpful as the core of a senior fitness program?

I’ve used most of the machines (rowers, ellipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes, spinning bikes, stair steppers) at one time or another at gyms so have some familiarity with them all. I would also walk, do light weight lifting/resistance bands and stretching. I was going to a gym regularly pre-COVID but would probably not going forward.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

The Concept 2 is a great machine and I've used it for years. But I have come to prefer the stationary bike (LifeCycle) for some reason. Seems easier to do HIIT on the bike, although both machines can give you a great workout and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. The thing that mainly gathers dust these days is the treadmill (DW calls it the dreadmill), although I'll even use that occasionally.

95% of the time I go outdoors for my exercise, and we really only use the indoor machines when it's either too hot, raining too hard, or there is too much snow on the ground.

If I could only buy one non-free-weight thing, it wouldn't be a cardio machine. I'd go for a functional trainer, with preloaded plates. Basically an all-in-one cable/pulley machine. You can a myriad of exercises on these, with low weight/high rep or whatever you like.

I bought a concept 2 rowing machine and cancelled my gym membership 15 years ago. I sold the machine for a loss 6 months later. I liked the machine but I missed the daily grind in working out at the gym and seeing my fellow gym rats every morning.

Most days I walk five miles up and down the hills out in my neck of the woods. Walking, what cavemen did before machines were invented!

Other days like when rains pouring down, I go to gym and log in 1-1/4 hours. Half hour on stairclimber with varied intensity, the rest of time on treadmill at very fast walking pace.

I love my vibration platform. It has handles to steady yourself and it's great for circulation. I bought mine for under $300 on Amazon. I always try to go with things Ill stick with for a long time. I love to walk too.

When I quit the gym during Covid this is what I bought--5 and 10 pound hand weights, stationary bike, yoga mat, yoga ball, stretchy bands. I use these 3-4 days per week for an hour at a time. I also walk or bike outside in decent weather for about an hour a day, if the weather is not good I ride my stationary bike. I am age 70 and other than some back issues recently I do pretty well. I am now getting some massages and PT for the back and doing better in that regard.

Love the Concept 2 rower! I have had it for around 10 years.

I have some knee issues,and sometimes I have to buildup a bit if I haven’t rowed in a while, but generally I suffer very little knee discomfort from it.

And boy can I get my heart rate up if I really want to!

Lately I’ve been using videos including Apple Fitness+ that seem to focus on sprints with slower rowing in between, and amazingly I’ve found those don’t bother my knees at all even though I’m really rowing hard during the sprints. I’ve even increased to full range for sliding whereas before I used to limit the range a bit protect my knees.

I never could get any cycle to work for me even though I ride a bike outdoors frequently. Treadmill is OK, but rower is way more fun and involves total body including core.

Last edited:
I have now or have had a lot of fitness equipment so these are my thoughts:

Concept 2 rower -- We bought this based upon many people here liking it. It was nice. But, I have bad knees and it really didn't agree with me. I also found it fairly boring although I could set it up in front of the TV.

Treadmill -- Doesn't provide any strength training, but is nice for when the weather won't cooperate (whether due to hot or cold). Can be used at any level of fitness. Boring, but TV again. Still have this.

Recumbent bike -- This was much easier on my knees than the rower. Through resistance setting you do get at least a little bit more than just cardio. This is less difficult on the joints. I can read while using it which is a plus (obviously not when I am doing high intensity but when I am having a lesser intensity exercise). Still have this

Elliptical -- I own an ascent trainer. It is great. But, it is more demanding and while it is fine now (I'm 67) not sure I will feel the same way in 10 years.

Home Gym - Years ago I had a Home gym. I could do most of the major machine type things you can do at a gym. Honestly, it was great. For awhile I had a trainer come into my home to work with me. If you have the space for something like this I really do recommend. The negative was that it basically took up an entire bedroom.

Other less bulky strength training equipment -- Resistance bands, dumbbells, etc. I have these now. These may need to be coupled with a workout if you don't want to devise your own. You can either get one from a book or a video or hire a trainer to periodically come and set one up for you.

Exercise videos - I am a big fan of exercise videos. You can find them at almost any level. I've been trying out Apple Fitness+ and plan to try out Beachbody. I also tried FitOn (didn't like it). I've also done free videos from You Tube. There are both cardio workouts and strength workouts at various level. The bands and dumbbells will be enough to cover most of these workouts.

All you need are Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable weight bench. Perfect for curls, overhead press, tri's, incline press, rows, and squats.

Combine that with some walking, biking or running.

I was using a TRX program at the gym before COVID and I really liked it. Unfortunately, I don't have a place at home to mount it. If I did, I could easily see it doing all I need. I really liked how it helped me keep my form when doing squats and that in turn kept me from injuring myself. I wouldn't call it cardio, but there's no doubt you could use it to get your heart rate up.

https://www.trxtraining.com/

For the last 20+ years I've been using a workhorse of a complete home gym set-up from Weider. It was inexpensive back then, but I sure as heck have gotten my money's worth. My unit includes a leg press. It's discontinued, but here's a similar version sans that leg press: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4...MBfrtCLQxWCe_sKbhHBoCmMAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You may also want to consider, from Amazon, the Bowflex PR1000 which does a variety of resistance exercises, including a rowing option.

I love my vibration platform. It has handles to steady yourself and it's great for circulation. I bought mine for under $300 on Amazon. I always try to go with things Ill stick with for a long time. I love to walk too.

Vibration platform? I've never heard of this. What made you decide to get it? Can you tell me how long you have been using it and how you use it and for how long?

Thanks to all who responded. A few responses/comments:

Braumeister/RetireeRobert: Guess we’re different. Whereas spouse and I also love the outdoor stuff/walking/hiking(New England weather permitting), I’d rather while away my indoor time on a Concept 2 than a Lifecycle. If I were to go with a stationary bike, it would be a spin bike.

Aerides/Harley: Already have a good selection of dumbbells and tubular bands, so think I have resistance covered there.

Nick12: Although I’ve enjoyed the social interaction at the gym, the COVID break has shown me I didn’t miss it quite as much as I thought I would. That said, I still plan to rejoin for a month later this summer/fall for a trial run before deciding for sure.

audreyh1: videos were a big part of my home workout plan during most of the COVID period although I put my membership on hold when I ran into the recent arthritic issues. Team Body Project, a paid but inexpensive subscription, was my favorite.

Jenna: like tmm99 I really don’t have a clue what these are but will check it out on the web.

Katsmeow: thanks, good rundown. I’ve used most of these things at gyms over the years and each has its pros and cons as you know. At this stage of my life I think the dumbbells/bands will take care of my resistance needs and walking/hiking plus some sort of indoor machine and videos (Team Body Project has worked well for me) will do the trick. Podcasts are my way of dealing with boredom aspect.

Ronstar/Jerry1/mystang52: thank you; will research these systems/equipments.

All-in-all, a lot of different approaches to fitness. In my younger days, I was primarily a runner and could never sustain resistance training for any sustained period of time. I stopped running about 10 years ago and have been more diligent about resistance training since then. A workout without a stretch of good aerobics, whether it’s walking, using a machine, doing a spin class or a video session just doesn’t do it for me. By necessity, I think there will be more stretching in my future.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Vibration platform? I've never heard of this. What made you decide to get it? Can you tell me how long you have been using it and how you use it and for how long?

There were vibration platforms in my gym, the only thing I used them for was my feet. I have foot arthritis and I would use the vibration platform with my shoes off. It did seem to help my foot arthritis and my foot is better now. If my foot arthritis flares up again I will rejoin the gym just for the vibration platform.

I'd be cautious about buying a Bowflex. The flexible resistance rods make for an easily adjustable system, but after a while they get permanently bent out of shape which lowers the resistance you actually get.

We bought ours about 15 years ago. I have no idea if the newer models have improved in this regard.

Lifelong fitness enthusiast here in my 50’s.

With Covid I had to switch to working out at home which got me interested in building a home gym. I haven’t done my usual exhaustive research but in general I think the basics are all that are needed. Such as a barbell, dumbbells, weight bench, and a squat rack.

When I turned 40 I shifted my fitness program towards a less weight intensive routine and a more comprehensive program. My gym at the time offered free yoga and there were some great instructors. That gym eventually closed and I stopped doing yoga. But it made think my best fitness program is a combo of strength training, yoga, and cycling.

I do think it’s helpful to see a really good PT who can evaluate you and tell you what exercises are good for you and what to avoid based on any specific issues or prior injuries you have or had.

For strength training dead lifts and squats are the best. They must be done correctly to avoid injury so if you’re new find a good instructor to teach you. You don’t need to lift heavy! They’re just such good complex movements.

Focus on core! And that doesn’t mean sit ups! So many people leave core as an after thought. Make it a priority. Research core exercises and put together a comprehensive routine. I do core only workouts 2-3 times a week.

Weights, yoga, and some sort of cardiovascular (I prefer mountain biking) is a great mix and keeps it interesting.

Don’t forget DIET, hydration, and sleep either.

And as stated see a good PT to steer you away from any particular movements that may not be good for your situation.

If you are experienced with yoga (have had plenty of instruction) and have an Apple Watch, the Apple Fitness+ yoga is very good for yoga at home. A lot of it is fairly energetic flow type yoga - a good workout.

They also have great core workout routines as well as strength training workouts using dumbbells and some body weight moves.

I have a Concept2 Rower and I do their rowing workouts as well.

I will add a new idea: a Concept2 SkiErg. Details:
For years, I have rowed like a beast on my Concept2 rower. Still do.
I watched Craigslist for ages until I found that gently used StairMaster. Not the big tread machine, but one of their smaller machines. It is wonderful.
Have an old treadmill that I use for warmups.
My gym bought a SkiErg and I began using it. Looked up the video on their site and on Youtube. My form is not great, but the cardio is as good as a rower, but easier on the back. Bought one last fall.
Of course, I have a TV and sound system in the exercise room to keep me from getting too bored.

I will add a new idea: a Concept2 SkiErg. Details:
For years, I have rowed like a beast on my Concept2 rower. Still do.
I watched Craigslist for ages until I found that gently used StairMaster. Not the big tread machine, but one of their smaller machines. It is wonderful.
Have an old treadmill that I use for warmups.
My gym bought a SkiErg and I began using it. Looked up the video on their site and on Youtube. My form is not great, but the cardio is as good as a rower, but easier on the back. Bought one last fall.
Of course, I have a TV and sound system in the exercise room to keep me from getting too bored.

Wow you must have a very large exercise room to hold that much equipment.

A 10 by 13 room. Packed in pretty tight.

Don't know how to add a picture. The icon above wants a URL.

Well it least you have a separate exercise room. Our house is small so my "exercise room" is a corner of the dining room:rolleyes:

I will add a new idea: a Concept2 SkiErg....

Interesting. I have a very old Nordic Track X-C machine that I still use occasionally but this SkiErg looks (at least from the video on their web site) like it would give a more intense workout.

Back
Top Bottom