HIIT

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
High Intensity Interval Training. I have been using this method of training for a while. I do a multi-joint weight lifting circuit one day and then do a sprint 8 type cardio workout for next workout after a days rest. Each type of exercise takes 20 minutes to complete. I do these every other day back and forth. Has anybody tried this type of workout. It seems to be working.:)

Lots of us are doing HIT weights and HIIT aerobics. It pops up in various health threads all the time.

May I ask, how old you are?

I ask because I have always been quite fit, but at 62, I have to be careful about injury avoidance. Many of the activities and exercises that once helped me keep fit, over the last decade have led to injuries.

In addition to my 3X/week weight lifting routine, I will alternate between some weighted sled work, sprints or hitting the heavy bag as HIIT components. It really gets the heart rate up quickly and has been very beneficial from my perspective.

I ask because I have always been quite fit, but at 62, I have to be careful about injury avoidance. Many of the activities and exercises that once helped me keep fit, over the last decade have led to injuries.
The question was not directed to me but I will address it from my perspective. I am 67 and also sensitive to injuries. Falls become more dangerous as we age and overuse injuries may be more common as well. As for HIT and HIIT, which I would guess your question reflects concerns about, these exercise approaches can be done without significant injury potential. In my case, I do a set of core weight lifting exercises twice a week. I use slow movements to failure, rather than faster movements of heavier weights. On the HIIT side I do intermittent sprints on a bike or an exercycle depending on the weather. No pounding injury risk and since I do not do extreme endurance, overuse injuries are not a problem. For someone with heart issues a doctor's advice would be in order.

The question was not directed to me but I will address it from my perspective. I am 67 and also sensitive to injuries. Falls become more dangerous as we age and overuse injuries may be more common as well. As for HIT and HIIT, which I would guess your question reflects concerns about, these exercise approaches can be done without significant injury potential. In my case, I do a set of core weight lifting exercises twice a week. I use slow movements to failure, rather than faster movements of heavier weights. On the HIIT side I do intermittent sprints on a bike or an exercycle depending on the weather. No pounding injury risk and since I do not do extreme endurance, overuse injuries are not a problem. For someone with heart issues a doctor's advice would be in order.

Thanks for the input. I golf several times/week, carrying my bag. Legs are in great shape, heart seems to be in great shape (RHR 55 or so), but my core and upper body need some work. I used to go to the local gym 3 X/week and do light weight, 15 rep to exhaustion, generally machines, to work upper body. The gym I used has changed things around to appeal more to younger people trying to look super-buff, although I think if I went in there they'd probably help me find a program suitable for me.

I also used to do yoga a few times/week but a lot of it started to really bother my right knee. Also, my favorite instructor opened her own place and again, seems to be geared more and more to a younger crowd with a more strenuous approach.

I just turned 60. And, yes, I occasionally have hamstring and calf issues. I've found that doing my cardio on a recumbent bike has helped.

I also avoid machines and isolation exercises like bicep curls. If you do bench press and lat pulldowns or pushups and pullups you get a full upper body workout. Then I will do barbell squats or lunges and body weight calf raises to complete the lower body part. I also do a plank exercise for core to complete circuit.

Just to add my pullups are weight assisted so I am lifting about 2/3rds of my weight. This way I am able to do 15 reps.

I did this a few years ago in an attempt to get my weight down quickly as well as improve my run time for the physical fitness test I had to do in the AF. In 60 short days, I lost 12% of my body weight (from 250 to 220 pounds) and when I did the run portion, I came in second; I was 38 years old at the time. It was insane at how quickly I improved...but it wasn't easy and involved eating VERY sensibly. Now that I am over 40, I tend to take long/quick walks through the neighborhood for exercise and to "get out."

One thing about HIIT is that you don't want to just "jump in" if you have been sedentary as this would be a very effective way to injure yourself. As for age restrictions, I don't think that would matter nearly as much as long as your ticker is good to go! I would definitely talk to your MD if you 50+ years old though as it is quite vigorous.

Oh yeah...the type of HIIT I was doing was outdoor running (sprints). It's very difficult to get your treadmill to "ramp up" the speed fast enough for this training. If I recall, my workouts were about 20 minutes. 30-45 second all out sprints followed by 2 minute brisk walk pace...rinse/repeat. Sounds easy? Yeah, not so much! :)

Last edited:
I did this a few years ago in an attempt to get my weight down quickly as well as improve my run time for the physical fitness test I had to do in the AF. In 60 short days, I lost 12% of my body weight (from 250 to 220 pounds) and when I did the run portion, I came in second; I was 38 years old at the time. It was insane at how quickly I improved...but it wasn't easy and involved eating VERY sensibly. Now that I am over 40, I tend to take long/quick walks through the neighborhood for exercise and to "get out."

One thing about HIIT is that you don't want to just "jump in" if you have been sedentary as this would be a very effective way to injure yourself. As for age restrictions, I don't think that would matter nearly as much as long as your ticker is good to go! I would definitely talk to your MD if you 50+ years old though as it is quite vigorous.

Oh yeah...the type of HIIT I was doing was outdoor running (sprints). It's very difficult to get your treadmill to "ramp up" the speed fast enough for this training. If I recall, my workouts were about 20 minutes. 30-45 second all out sprints followed by 2 minute brisk walk pace...rinse/repeat. Sounds easy? Yeah, not so much! :)
Yeah, it can be pretty intense 20 minutes. Instead of treadmill I use recumbent bike. I do what the call a sprint 8. 30 seconds all out followed by 90 second rest. This sequence starts with a warmup followed by 8 cycles and then cooldown.

I kick up my running pace, or run hills one day a week. Kind of HIIT.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

I am turning 67 in June, and I find both HIIT and weight training to be good for injury prevention. Of course you need to work up to more challenging levels of effort to prevent pulling something. Also on weights I will very my speeds from slow one week to fast the next. I find fast helps with power generation, but that may not be for anyone that has joint issues.

Had to smile, when I read the "HIIT"...
With my sport career in swimming, the last three years' training, 1955-1958, featured what was then called "repeats"...

In those days, training commonly consisted of swimming "laps"... usually a mile of steady, non stop working out. This was followed by a time trial... a timed swim of one's competition distance. (in my case 200 yd. backstroke.).

My coach was one of two who "broke the mold" by changing to what is now interval training. It meant swimming full race distance at top possible speed, for 10 "repeats"... with a two minute break, in between. While this is now the standard, at the time, it was radical, and employed only by my school, and Ohio State which was #1 or #2 in the NCAA's.

Now, not so much... Walking isn't fun, 'cuz I walk like a duck and the pounding makes the joints hurt. In reasonable weather, I still bike 5 to 15 miles/day, and canoe. Recently bought an old Vitamaster exercise bike, and do a half hour in the AM, and a half hour in the PM... while watching TV... No stress, no strain, and very easy @13 m.p.h. Definitely not HIIT! :)

Last edited:
Had to smile, when I read the "HIIT"...
With my sport career in swimming, the last three years' training, 1955-1958, featured what was then called "repeats"...

In those days, training commonly consisted of swimming "laps"... usually a mile of steady, non stop working out. This was followed by a time trial... a timed swim of one's competition distance. (in my case 200 yd. backstroke.).

My coach was one of two who "broke the mold" by changing to what is now interval training. It meant swimming full race distance at top possible speed, for 10 "repeats"... with a two minute break, in between. While this is now the standard, at the time, it was radical, and employed only by my school, and Ohio State which was #1 or #2 in the NCAA's.

Now, not so much... Walking isn't fun, 'cuz I walk like a duck and the pounding makes the joints hurt. In reasonable weather, I still bike 5 to 15 miles/day, and canoe. Recently bought an old Vitamaster exercise bike, and do a half hour in the AM, and a half hour in the PM... while watching TV... No stress, no strain, and very easy @13 m.p.h. Definitely not HIIT! :)
You got it right though, Imoldernu, just keep moving baby. Colonel Sanders once said....A man will rust out quicker than he will ever wear out.

A little over 2 years ago, I finally got tired of being overweight and feeling lousy and thought I'd try following some online HIIT workout videos. Did 20-40 minutes a day and within a couple weeks eliminated by neck and back aches. Lost 1-2 pounds per week, dropping from almost 190 to just under 165. I should also mention, I started eating healthier and reducing portion size. When it looked like I might drop below my ideal body weight, I decide to back off and do about 20-30 minutes every other day and start including more strength training. Over time I find myself looking for other things to mix-up the workout and keep it interesting. In the warmer months I enjoy running outside... but during the winter, I find the treadmill pretty boring. Most recently, I bought battle ropes and I have to say I really like the workout. It's a nice combination of aerobics and resistance... combining this with push-ups and sit-ups for 20-30 minutes is a great workout. This should easily keep me "entertained" until it gets warm again and I can begin more outside activities again.

Yep, the treadmill doesn't work for HIIT (too finicky to quickly ramp the speed up and down). But for those who want to do their workout inside, rowers work well and so do elliptical trainers and exercise bikes. Anything where your own effort changes the pace of the exercise can work. When I did this, I used elliptical trainers, the only downside was that the people around me probably thought I was crazy as the pace is quite frenetic for the 30 seconds of "sprinting".

I agree, and I also find that the treadmill isn't long enough for long strides at a full gallop.

What's your cadence like? How tall are you?

I ask because you must have a very long stride if the average treadmill is too short, even all the way up at 12.0mph or higher. You could potentially be much more efficient (and eventually faster for longer) by quickening your cadence rather than lengthening your stride as you go faster.

If you're running with a 38 inch inseam or something like that, then yeah... disregard. ;-)

What's your cadence like? How tall are you?

I ask because you must have a very long stride if the average treadmill is too short, even all the way up at 12.0mph or higher. You could potentially be much more efficient (and eventually faster for longer) by quickening your cadence rather than lengthening your stride as you go faster.

If you're running with a 38 inch inseam or something like that, then yeah... disregard. ;-)

I'm 6' tall with a 34-35" inseam. My treadmill is most likely ok for someone my size. But I think my problem is that my gait may be a little inconsistent. I speed up a little and my foot hits the front of the treadmill. If I slow down just a bit it seems like I'm ready to fly off the back. I find myself really having to concentrate on my gait while on the treadmill.

Interesting that you bring up potential increases in speed and efficiency with a quicker cadence instead of a longer stride. I need to look into that.

I'm 6' tall with a 34-35" inseam. My treadmill is most likely ok for someone my size. But I think my problem is that my gait may be a little inconsistent. I speed up a little and my foot hits the front of the treadmill. If I slow down just a bit it seems like I'm ready to fly off the back. I find myself really having to concentrate on my gait while on the treadmill.

Interesting that you bring up potential increases in speed and efficiency with a quicker cadence instead of a longer stride. I need to look into that.
Not only to mention that I think running that fast on a treadmill is dangerous. One slight hiccup and you can be on your ass with tread burn in very short order!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

I'm 5'10"/32" inseam, and I run 5:00-5:30 pace intervals up to full miles without much issue at around 96 rpm cadence. Remember (and to the prior poster too) your feet aren't in contact with the ground/treadmill for so long that you should go off the back. Hitting the front might be a concern, but if it is, chances are you're overstriding which is inefficient anyway (leads to heel striking). Aim to land your foot just slightly in front of your hips with a mid foot strike and your cadence will probably come up naturally, you'll be more efficient and have less risk for injury. Plus, no worries on a treadmill!

Not only to mention that I think running that fast on a treadmill is dangerous. One slight hiccup and you can be on your ass with tread burn in very short order!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Or on your shoulder, which dislocates painfully. Happened to me last year. I wasn't even running very fast, but I had gone too cheap when buying a treadmill and got one that I think is a bit shorter and narrower than a good one. I haven't been on it since. I don't like treadmills much anyway. That incident got me to bundle up a bit more and just go outside even in cold and wet weather, juggle the schedule, or take an extra day off

Back
Top Bottom