How much will health/dental cost me?

beowulf18

Confused about dryer sheets
I am uneasy not knowing what I will need to pay for health and dental insurance, can anybody give me a rough idea? Retired last summer, but I am covered by dental/medical until mid-summer this year (2013), then I am on my own. With a net worth of $1.2M I am wondering if I could just buy catastrophic $10,000 deductible insurance (in case I break a leg, have a stroke, etc) and for most things medical just pay out of pocket (a perk of that is i could choose my 'doc' as I want to, e.g. i could see an ND instead of an MD) for $200-$300/month?

I am uneasy not knowing what I will need to pay for health and dental insurance, can anybody give me a rough idea? Retired last summer, but I am covered by dental/medical until mid-summer this year (2013), then I am on my own. With a net worth of $1.2M I am wondering if I could just buy catastrophic $10,000 deductible insurance (in case I break a leg, have a stroke, etc) and for most things medical just pay out of pocket (a perk of that is i could choose my 'doc' as I want to, e.g. i could see an ND instead of an MD) for $200-$300/month?

although you might be able to buy this kind of plan now starting in 2014 under obamacare this kind of plan will not be allowed.

why don'tyou contact the local insurance companies in your area-or go to their websites and price an individual policy

I pay my own dental insurance to the tune of $35 a month. That covers two cleanings a year, 80% of fillings and 20% of crowns. Office visit is also covered. I'm thinking of dropping it because it reàlly isn't that good. If you can find something better go for it but at least this gives you some idea of what is out there.

Health insurance is a much tougher one to figure out. $689 a month as a single coverage is mine. It's pretty comprehensive but again, perhaps that helps give you an idea of cost.

although you might be able to buy this kind of plan now starting in 2014 under obamacare this kind of plan will not be allowed.

Hmm, not so sure on that. Looks like there will be a 'Bronze' plan one could buy similar to a catastrophic plan.
Could possible misunderstanding on ObamaCare cloud Supreme Court deliberations? | Fox News

why don't you contact the local insurance companies in your area-or go to their websites and price an individual policy

Maybe. Just that I know once they have your contact info they will use all powers to annoy me with telemarketers and all.

I pay my own dental insurance to the tune of $35 a month. That covers two cleanings a year, 80% of fillings and 20% of crowns. Office visit is also covered. I'm thinking of dropping it because it reàlly isn't that good. If you can find something better go for it but at least this gives you some idea of what is out there.

Health insurance is a much tougher one to figure out. $689 a month as a single coverage is mine. It's pretty comprehensive but again, perhaps that helps give you an idea of cost.

the importan thing with dental coverage is that it controls what can be charged on services.

provider has to supply at contracted price which is mostly much cheaper than cash billings

Hmm, not so sure on that. Looks like there will be a 'Bronze' plan one could buy similar to a catastrophic plan.
Could possible misunderstanding on ObamaCare cloud Supreme Court deliberations? | Fox News

Maybe. Just that I know once they have your contact info they will use all powers to annoy me with telemarketers and all.

i live in mass. obamacare is romneycare. max deductible 2000 then co-isurance.
i think thats what your reading. in mass chepest bronze plan((not tied to 1 clinic) is 485 per month-2000 deductible-up to 5000 co-insurance.

people who have money are going to be shocked at Obamacares prices

go to mass. health connector-it will tell you not open enrollment but you can still price policy-use any mass zip code and enter some info. name not required just date of birth and zip code-look at prices and deduct/coinsur

Last edited:
Living in Massachusetts I'm very happy with what Romneycare has done for the Commonwealth, but it will be a bit of a change for people as it gets rolled-out across the country. Take Gerry's advice and check out the Mass Health Connector to see the prices we pay here. These changes shift around the costs a bit. For example, between 2006 and 2010, the use of emergency rooms for non-emergency reasons fell nearly 4 percent, representing a big savings since using emergency rooms for routine care is far more expensive than visiting a doctor.

I wish, though, that there was a way to use a certain amount of money in retirement accounts to buy a "health care annuity" that will pay for everything Medicare and good Medicare supplement will pay for, for life, backed by the government. That kind of peace of mind will make it so much easier for older folks to focus on other concerns.

Does anyone know if HSA's/high deductible plans will be available under the HCA? From some of the comments, it sounds like the Mass plan DOES NOT allow high deductible plans. If the only option for individuals with assets trying to retire early is to get a low deductible plan and pay out the nose, then the ACA is actually not helping those wanting to retire early.

I have an HDHC plan in Massachusetts. (I also have secondary insurance that covers the $2500 individual deductible, but that isn't required - just my choice.)

I have an HDHC plan in Massachusetts. (I also have secondary insurance that covers the $2500 individual deductible, but that isn't required - just my choice.)

Thanks for the input. That's very good to know. I'm a big fan of high deductible b/c we are not big users of healthcare but would never consider going without HI. Do you have an HSA and/or do you know if that will still be an option with the ACA.

The bronze level plan covers 60% of the actuarial value, much less than a catastrophic plan. There have been a few indications that a higher deductible is being considered but, this close to start date, I doubt a major change would be announced.

One of the issues with catastrophic coverage is most medical service providers charge much higher rates for self paying customers and have much lower rates for insurance companies. This pushes consumers unwillingly into insurance plans and makes self-funded coverage much more risky.

Does anyone know if HSA's/high deductible plans will be available under the HCA? From some of the comments, it sounds like the Mass plan DOES NOT allow high deductible plans. If the only option for individuals with assets trying to retire early is to get a low deductible plan and pay out the nose, then the ACA is actually not helping those wanting to retire early.

HSA and HD plans will be available, but specific levels of cost sharing are not yet known.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a KFF paper on actuarial value, with input and estimates from some of the major actuarial consulting firms. It shows a table with their estimates of how different levels of AV would translate into specific $ amounts of cost sharing. http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8177.pdf

Thanks MichaelB. In my mind, the ability of an early retiree to use an HSA is a way to offset the cost of buying HI since the amount placed in an HSA reduces taxes (without having to have "earned" income). I think this is especially advantageous for those who do not use the healthcare system often and therefore are not going to meet the deductible in most years. At least, that's my understanding.

Thanks for the input. That's very good to know. I'm a big fan of high deductible b/c we are not big users of healthcare but would never consider going without HI. Do you have an HSA and/or do you know if that will still be an option with the ACA.
Because of the secondary insurance, I'm not eligible for an HSA. I see no reason to believe I couldn't have an HSA if it weren't for the secondary insurance but I haven't checked into it.

may i aks which one the HDHC plan

how high a deductible or should i say what do you consider high. mass has max deductible. i thought it was 2000 another here says 2500. i don't think any higher

I know you won't believe this but I do not think Obama created this plan for people who want to retire early:D

under obamacare this kind of policy and deductible will not be allowed

This may well be true, but I've yet to find anything definitive on this. Do you have a concrete source for this?

I've read that the medical loss ratio (MLR) specified in the law is the mechanism that will be used to kill off HDHP's while other sources claim this isn't necessarily true (this https://hsa.umb.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/040802.pdf says that for non-employer based HDHP's the MLR doesn't apply).

Personally, we've been very pleased with our HDHP/HSA in early retirement.

I know you won't believe this but I do not think Obama created this plan for people who want to retire early:D
Well, I don't think anyone, business or gov't, is out to help us retire early. That's why we have the E-R Forum :)

There are two issues with high deductible amounts in the PPACA.

First, the high deductible - low premium combination attracts not only higher net worth folks, it also lures lower income people who can't afford higher premiums. Because some also can't afford the deductible, they still forgo some necessary care, so the HD ends up being a negative incentive to healthcare.

Second, as the PPACA attempts to standardize healthcare insurance pricing, it fixes the amount that must be spent on healthcare by policy group. HD policies are more volatile and have fewer policyholders so they don't easily fit the designated financial framework.

High deductibles are available in the PPACA, just not at the levels some here would like. Looking at the link I provided earlier, a bronze level policy could have a cost share of more than $6k per family, which is a pretty significant amount for most.

I would imagine once the initial implementation is behind us this will be revisited.

Last edited:
Obamacare like Romneycare has a goal of getting people covered.

very high deductible plans are not allowed=for obvious reasons.

the young-who are relativley healthy will only buy those kind of plans.

the goal is get more money from the young to subsidize the old.

the other thing is the government mandates what minimum coverage is.

in mass. were i live minimim coverage is basically everything.

free exams,yearly tests,in vitro fertalization,mandatory psychiatric coverage etc.

mass legislature logic is that insurance with too high deductibles and co insurance will discourage poorer people from actually using it.

unless your poor enough to be subsidized-watch out.

This may well be true, but I've yet to find anything definitive on this. Do you have a concrete source for this?

I've read that the medical loss ratio (MLR) specified in the law is the mechanism that will be used to kill off HDHP's while other sources claim this isn't necessarily true (this https://hsa.umb.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/040802.pdf says that for non-employer based HDHP's the MLR doesn't apply).

Personally, we've been very pleased with our HDHP/HSA in early retirement.

all i can tell you is what is mass. law and Obamacare is a copy. Obamacare is out to get more people covered subsidized by US

Back
Top Bottom