HRA

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
Megacorp cancelled Retiree Health Care coverage at the end of 2014. We had been paying $266/mo in 2014. Now for 2015, they are providing a Health Reimbursement Arrangement for us at no cost. I will turn 65 this year and they also provide the HRA for reimbursement for Medicare Advantage or Medigap insurance. It not only covers premium reimbursement but out-of-pocket expenses as week. Both DW and I have a stated total amount. While the benefit is only for 2015, any unused amount will carry over to 2016. I assume this will be considered income on our 2015 taxes. That will be an additional $12k or so income with no withholding. Wondering if anyone else has such a plan, if it is indeed income which I will need to cover by increasing our withholding?

Not that I don't appreciate the benefit, just trying to prepare so as not to have a big tax bill for 2015.

Sounds like HRAs can be designed differently so probably good to check w/ your HR dept. In my case, mega reimburses only for medical insurance premiums (including medicare B) and reimbursements are not taxable.
I didn't think extra funds could be carried over in our case but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention since I use them all up during the yr..........

Thanks for the quick responses. For 2014 they made a small contribution to my HSA and that I received a W2 for that, so I thought the HRA might be the same way.

Are you paying taxes on their HSA contribution or is it just to keep track of the contributions so that when you take distributions, you aren't taxed ? or to make sure there is no overcontribution?

Last edited:
"Are you paying taxes on their HSA contribution or is it just to keep track of the contributions so that when you take distributions, you aren't taxed ? or to make sure there is no overcontribution? "

I believe we are paying taxes on it, but it may also be to make sure we didn't over-contribute. DW used all her HSA in 2014, so she would have taken out more than she contributed, if they didn't account for Mega's contribution.

Back
Top Bottom