Insurance negotiations

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
About three months ago I had a little medical adventure. We pay plenty for insurance and the insurance company is moving towards getting all the providers paid off. This morning I got an "explanation of benefits" from the insurance company. A hospital had billed $64,603. The insurance company disallowed $60,034 and will pay $4569.

If I had no insurance and had to negotiate with hospital bookkeeping I'd feel like I'd scored a major victory if I got a bill reduced by 10-20%. Kaiser Permanente managed a 93% reduction. Sheesh.

Pity the working folks who are NOT insured, because I doubt they could negotiate anything like that reduction.

Given the catastrophic nature of your medical adventure I'd say Kaiser scored a major coup. I don't know about $64K+, but at <$5K, the hospital definitely took a loss on you! We're glad you're here to tell the tale!

:cool:

A hospital had billed $64,603. The insurance company disallowed $60,034 and will pay $4569.

Pity the working folks who are NOT insured, because I doubt they could negotiate anything like that reduction.

Doesn't that mean you're responsible for the rest of it ? Just because the insurance company disallowed it doesn't the hospital doesn't want their money, they may send you the bill and turn it over to collections.

Doesn't that mean you're responsible for the rest of it ? Just because the insurance company disallowed it doesn't the hospital doesn't want their money, they may send you the bill and turn it over to collections.

I don't know about calmloki's situation but on my policy if it is in network then I am not responsible for the amount of the discount. If it is out of network then I am.

Two different hospitals, both were not Kaiser hospitals but were Kaiser contracted hospitals. This EOB is only for the second and doesn't indicate that I am responsible for anything. Good ol' irresponsible me.
The first hospital billed $64,602 and accepted $4928. Thus far I'm less than $1000 out of pocket; I expect to spend maybe $9000 more, anything less is bonus. Somebody needs to start charging me some money.

Somebody needs to start charging me some money.

If you end up paying nothing more, I would seriously think about including the hospital's foundation in your will (which we all hope will not be needed for many years!). They did a terrific job. The least they deserve is a thank you. Your story could be inspirational to others.

I made some diced chili/sharp cheddar cheese bread and delivered it to the firefighter crew that worked me over - think the hospital foundation would appreciate that or do you guess they might be more into lettuce? blink blink

I made some diced chili/sharp cheddar cheese bread and delivered it to the firefighter crew that worked me over - think the hospital foundation would appreciate that or do you guess they might be more into lettuce? blink blink

I think they might be more into something green and papery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom