Interested in starting running again, fighting lack of motivation..........

I ran X-country and track in high school and continued to run on and off since (30 years). Currently recovering from a herniated disc and would love to get out on the roads again. How typical - we always want what we can't have and take for granted what we have. Currently enjoying Spin classes until I can safely hit the roads again. But, it just isn't the same. There is nothing as satisfying as cooling down from a good, hard run.

Dog said:
I ran X-country and track in high school and continued to run on and off since (30 years). Currently recovering from a herniated disc and would love to get out on the roads again. How typical - we always want what we can't have and take for granted what we have. Currently enjoying Spin classes until I can safely hit the roads again. But, it just isn't the same. There is nothing as satisfying as cooling down from a good, hard run.

Agree..........but there's always the Master's level at those road races.........:)

We have something every year called the Badger State Games.....they have a full track meet, high jump, pole vault, the whole nine yards. Anyone can compete, even the current high school and college kids. They set up the heats and flights by age......... :D :D

Maybe I can rediscover my high jumping ability............... :LOL: :LOL:

A good motivator for me, in races at least, was to find the cutest hiney in the race, and keep focused on that... :eek:

HFWR said:
A good motivator for me, in races at least, was to find the cutest hiney in the race, and keep focused on that... :eek:

A couple of years ago I was doing a swim and noticed a cute asian woman get in the next lane. She was pretty fast too!

Good some motivation to go faster and catch her!

Then I realized that it wasn't a cute asian woman it was just DW! Well, actually she is a cute asian woman but, well . . . . you know.

I told her about it afterwards! She wasn't amused!

MB

mb said:
A couple of years ago I was doing a swim and noticed a cute asian woman get in the next lane. She was pretty fast too!

Good some motivation to go faster and catch her!

Then I realized that it wasn't a cute asian woman it was just DW! Well, actually she is a cute asian woman but, well . . . . you know.

I told her about it afterwards! She wasn't amused!

MB

Wow, you didn't recognize your own wife? Sounds like a Death Wish to me........ :LOL: :LOL: She should have been happy......... ;)

mb said:
Then I realized that it wasn't a cute asian woman it was just DW!

Ya think maybe she would have reacted a bit more positively if you hadn't used the term "just"?
img_452959_0_999035b0ba74a204789bd61c8297bdef.gif

REWahoo! said:
Ya think maybe she would have reacted a bit more positively if you hadn't used the term "just"?
img_452962_0_999035b0ba74a204789bd61c8297bdef.gif

Love the avatar? I'm thinking he needs to go for two dozen or some "ice that doesn't melt" to get out of the doghouse......... :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Wow, you didn't recognize your own wife? Sounds like a Death Wish to me........ :LOL: :LOL: She should have been happy......... ;)

Well it only took a couple of laps and I don't wear glasses or contacts when I swim and it was after dark and I think that I made up had a couple of other excuses at the time too :D

She didn't even notice me until I yelled at her :-\ Of course she claims that she doesn't check out the Speedos. Don't know if I believe that :confused:

MB

She didn't even notice me until I yelled at her :-\ Of course she claims that she doesn't check out the Speedos. Don't know if I believe that :confused:
MB

Recycled thread.....but I would suggest wearing a Speedo yourself, and seeing if DW picks YOU out of the crowd..........:cool:

My health motivated me. I was way overweight and couldnt walk 2 miles let alone run 1. In about 14 months I went from not being able to run a mile to running for 30 minutes at a time and doing hill interval training. My heart rate was around 95 now is 70 and my bp dropped about 25 to 30 points. My mile times are slow but its slowly coming along.

Guess my point is its not too late to get going again.

My health motivated me. I was way overweight and couldnt walk 2 miles let alone run 1. In about 14 months I went from not being able to run a mile to running for 30 minutes at a time and doing hill interval training. My heart rate was around 95 now is 70 and my bp dropped about 25 to 30 points. My mile times are slow but its slowly coming along.

Guess my point is its not too late to get going again.

I'm getting there. My new neighbor is a cross-country coach for a local private high school, and a former Div I scholarship runner. He has offered to give me workouts, motivation, or even an a--kicking if I want.........:D

I think I might be a little more "mature" than most of you in this group. My joints don't handle running at all anymore. I just wanted to pop in and give a thumbs-up to swimming. Some people think it's boring, but there's a lot you can do to change it up. sometimes i use the kickboard, sometimes the ankle buoys. if anyone wants to share pool workouts...

Back
Top Bottom