Interesting Diet-Heart-Study from Sweden

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The associations found are not what would be expected according to usual ideas. In this study, fruits and veggies lower coronary heart disease mortality dramatically, but only when combined with high or medium dairy fat intake.

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/6/10/2626/pdf

Ha

I am not surprised by the finding. Due to health issues I follow a Low Carb High Fat Diet (Atkins-ish) and my stats are amazingly low - blood pressure low, cholesterol good/low, and my Triglycerides are beyond LOW & off the charts low. All this while having cream in my cofee, butter, mayo & fatty steaks...ya gotta love it!:whistle:

PS: I am 57, I know my avatar doesn't show it.....another great aspect of the diet. ;)

PS: I am 57, I know my avatar doesn't show it.....another great aspect of the diet. ;)

You are right, I figured you for 42. Que bella!

I think I'll go get some raspberries and heavy cream, though it may be a little late to save my face...

Ha

I think I'll go get some raspberries and heavy cream, though it may be a little late to save my face...

I'm not worried about my face, but I'm interested if anyone has any good suggestions to combat hair loss.

I'm male, it's in my family, seemed very slow in me but is now starting to show. Lotsa stress and little sleep probably don't help. Not willing to take Minoxidyl, Proscar or Finasteride for life.

I'm not worried about my face, but I'm interested if anyone has any good suggestions to combat hair loss.

I'm male, it's in my family, seemed very slow in me but is now starting to show. Lotsa stress and little sleep probably don't help. Not willing to take Minoxidyl, Proscar or Finasteride for life.

This seem to work:

Howie.JPG

An interesting article on an interesting blog...

PaNu - P?Nu Blog - Fats andOils

SFA does not cause heart disease or cancer and does not make you fat. To the contrary, the hormonal satiety and lack of insulin response from eating fats is the key to weight optimization and avoiding the diseases of civilization caused by hyperinsulinemia and high blood glucose levels - diabetes, metabolic syndrome, degenerative diseases like alzheimer dementia, and many of the commonest cancers.

From the same blog:

PaNu - P?Nu Blog - ?Cardio? Causes HeartDisease.

Would you believe 12% of asymptomatic marathon runners had evidence of myocardial damage on LGE? Would you believe that among the sedentary controls only 4% had abnormal LGE?

PaNu - P?Nu Blog - Still not born torun

A group of elite long-distance runners had less body fat, better lipid profiles, and better heart rates than people being tested for cardiac disease, but, paradoxically, the runners had more calcified plaque in their heart arteries, according to a study reported here.

This is very interesting and this doctor is clearly very well informed. His radiologic tool gives him a different window to look through than most diet-heart researchers, who seem mostly to have accepted teh cholesterol hypothesis. So their studies often have endpoints of "better” or "worse" lipid profiles, however the authors choose to define just what aspects of lipid profile are truly better or worse. It seems to me that the so-called lipid profile is a highly abstract thing made up of many levels, most of which are not touched upon if you can get positive results with whatever commonly accepted serum lipoid parameters you have at your disposal.

Years ago Michael DeBakey famously said that he had operated on a lot of patients with CAD, and seen a lot of CAD autopsies, but didn't ever see much correlation with pre-surgery or ante-mortem cholesterol levels.

Of course this was troubling to people whose careers depended on running giant diet-heart trials. So they came up with more parameters to be measured and evaluated and hopefully used to produce positive results. Positive meaning thought to support the diet-heart hypothesis.

Overall, it is a confusing mishmash of conflicting and often not even well produced or interpreted data.
For myself, I think it is safe to assume that for practical purposes if one eats very similarly to how an American, say a prosperous farmer, would have eaten prior to WW1 his diet is going to be an good as any, and likely better than many. That is one thing nice about the Swedish Farmer study above. The Swedes have been at least as heavily propagangized as we Americans have been on the "Prudent Diet", and for a goodly number of these ordinary men to just ignore that propaganda and eat what they liked and what their parents and grandparents and great-grandparent had eaten ws a pretty good FU statement to the governemnt health nannies. Did anyone notice that the medium and heavy diary users were also more apt to be smokers? Still, their group experienced a significantly smaller death rate and CAD hospitalization rate than the light or no dairy users.

If I can get up and have a spinach and cheese and onion omelet cooked in butter instead of bran buds or some such, unless I think it is going to kill me or make me blind or impotent or stupid well before I check out of the world I will going on eating it, and just deal with my Doc on the LDL/diet/statin issue.

As far as studies go, I like the endpopint to be death-all cause death. This makes things a bit harder to spin, and these "researchers" are master-spinners.

Ha

The tide may be turning (from low fat to low carb) on this stuff.

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease -- Siri-Tarino et al., 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.
Studies Proving The Safety and Efficacy of the Low Carb Diet

The tide may be turning (from low fat to low carb) on this stuff.

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease -- Siri-Tarino et al., 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.
Studies Proving The Safety and Efficacy of the Low Carb Diet

I'll read these tomorrow. Running out of time now. Here is another interesting snippet from the HFWR cited radiologist's blog: PaNu - P?Nu Blog - Statins and the Cholesterol Hypothesis ? PartI

"Cardiologists and Pfizer actually believe that LDL is trying to kill you and HDL is trying to save you at the same time. They figured, why not throw our pharmacological weight into the fight? If we inhibit CETP, the level of HDL will rise, and the level of LDL will fall. They actually combined torcetrapib with an extant statin (atorvastatin or Lipitor) to really, really get the LDL down as well as the HDL up.

So how did it work? Well, it worked spectacularly. HDL levels soared and LDL levels went down. I mean, we are talking HDL to LDL ratios that epidemiologists and cardiologists would say should reduce the risk of heart attack to zero. There was a glitch, though. Although the HDL and LDL went exactly the way they wanted, the risk of death in the group that got the torcetrapib was 60% higher. The trial was halted early."

What this says to me is that whether cholesterol is or is not related to CHD, manipulating HDL and LDL can do more harm than good. Although it does appear that statins that lower LDL can cut slightly the incidence of CHD in certain groups.

My own HDL is twice my triglycerides. The only thig bothering my Doc is that my LDL was 136 last time. I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom