Interesting Re: Canadian Health Care

I am a Canuck and we paid no tax in 2 of the last 5 years. In the 2 years that we paid, the rate was 15%. It helps to be retired. Our province has introduced a drug plan based on income and it covers 60% because we paid tax last year. It would be 100% otherwise.

Of course, we paid "sin taxes" on consumption of alcohol and gasoline of about $10K. We send 3 months outside the country each year and save on those taxes. We are planning to increase our out-of-country time to 6 months.

I'm definitely not saying that Alberta is the greatest place on earth, but how do you save any money at all, and for someone who is trying to RE, why stay there?

While taxes are high, lot's of other things, like housing (until recently), were almost free by Calgary standards. Since I am both FI & RE it's just a personal choice: friends/family here, no moving hassles, best summers anywhere with lots of undeveloped lakes to fish, many reasons. DD lives in cowtown and from what I can see I couldn't have stood it even in my w*rking daze.

Grizz

What about food, clothing and shelter? these are important too, but we don't have food insurance, or cothing insurance or anthing of this nature.

Welfare isn’t an insurance policy that one purchases with a premium and a list of copays, etc. It’s what is considered a safety net and has a place in society.

I was being a bit facetious about food insurance, but really, we are self reliant for most things in life except when it comes to health care…

Don't look north for your solution.

Great wisdom. I agree.

LetsRetire
If the government can control what a person puts in their mouth then the population will be much healthier and the government can save a lot of money in terms of health care. I can go much further into the argument for national food provision, but in my view it is more satire than serious debate.

Oh gosh. Have the government control what we put in our mouths? Let’s Retire, I sincerely hope you are joking…. :confused:

The government does sort of control what we put into our mouths through taxes (the sin taxes) and there might be a time when the government will tax beef or ‘too much fat and sugar items’ but I sincerely hope we never get there. My goodness, what a horrible thought!

Will they then soon control what we put into our minds? Ugh!

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Oh gosh. Have the government control what we put in our mouths? Let’s Retire, I sincerely hope you are joking…. :confused:

DEFINITELY joking. I have to get better at using the smileys.:)

On the serious side I could see in the very distant future where when a program doesn't work or becomes too expensive people start movements that would seem to support what we are currently calling folly. How many of the founding fathers do you think envisioned food stamps or welfare as provided by the government? They would have probably consider it folly, but it is here now.

The US government has subsidized the production of corn for years. A direct result of this market interference is that High Fructose Corn Syrup is the cheapest sweetener and is in many products. It has been established that the pervasive use of this product has contributed to the current obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Another example of unintended side effects.:bat:

The US government has subsidized the production of corn for years. A direct result of this market interference is that High Fructose Corn Syrup is the cheapest sweetener and is in many products. It has been established that the pervasive use of this product has contributed to the current obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Another example of unintended side effects.:bat:

What I was referring to actually was something on the lines of the movie Demolition Man. Where the government legislates that the only oil that can be sold is say olive oil. Beef hamburgers can only contain XX% of fat. It is never permissible to eat real bacon. I know the government already legislates food safety so they in effect say what we can eat, but not directly. Unintended side effects would be included in the later example.

I'm taxed at the highest combined rate for my province (Alberta). To be honest I thought that you were full of it when you said that you paid 48%, but I checked the tables and most provinces really are around that level. A real jaw dropper:eek:. Any place but Alberta also has a provincial sales tax. I'm definitely not saying that Alberta is the greatest place on earth, but how do you save any money at all, and for someone who is trying to RE, why stay there?

This is called the Alberta Advantage, although the "advantage" appears to be shrinking when you look at the price of housing...

I read an article a couple of weeks ago where the author said it can be measured how well you're doing economically on when you bought your house. If you bought pre-2003, you're probably doing well. If you bought post-2003, chances are you are behind since salaries haven't been keeping up with the increase in house prices.

lets retire
DEFINITELY joking. I have to get better at using the smileys.
Oh Phew! I did take you seriously - the smileys would have clarified! :D Thing is, I'm sure there are people who believe the government should control these things...

What I was referring to actually was something on the lines of the movie Demolition Man. Where the government legislates that the only oil that can be sold is say olive oil. Beef hamburgers can only contain XX% of fat. It is never permissible to eat real bacon. I know the government already legislates food safety so they in effect say what we can eat, but not directly. Unintended side effects would be included in the later example.
This was what I thought you were advancing! oh I'm so glad you clarified. Thanks.

Living the above example would be a nightmare.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

This is called the Alberta Advantage, although the "advantage" appears to be shrinking when you look at the price of housing...

I read an article a couple of weeks ago where the author said it can be measured how well you're doing economically on when you bought your house. If you bought pre-2003, you're probably doing well. If you bought post-2003, chances are you are behind since salaries haven't been keeping up with the increase in house prices.

Grizz was quoting me with his quote.

Things change from year to year. We own a Calgary condo (inhabited by DW) that we bought in 1999. It's probably 'worth' about 260% of what we paid for it. Most of that jump came a couple of years ago. This year our Sask. house (or RE in Sk generally) was up 57% according to Stats. Can. while our Calgary condo remained flat (guessing from asking prices on MLS.ca). FWIW, our Sk. house, even with 60% increase this year, would only sell for about 60-70% of a similar place in cowtown.

The advantage may be growing again. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom