Intermittent Fasting - my result so far

Was that Michael Mosley?

Hmmm - it doesn't seem to be available to me to watch on line at the moment.

Try this link on you tube.

I believe this was originally on BBC so was probably on PBS. I watched this program (originally mentioned on this forum) and found it enlightening, with bonus benefits regarding protecting memory and cancer prevention. DH and I went on the program very successfully years ago. I believe I lost 25 pounds and DH similar. That weight loss decreased my weight to just below recommended body weight for my height and age. I kept the weight off successfully for a couple of years until last year. Changed habits and stress led to weight gain. For the past several months I have been looking for the motivation to get back to the 5:2 and other healthier habits(increased activity). Yesterday I fasted and slept so well last night. Today I feel great and we resume 5:2 and hope for similar success.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
"Eat, Fast and Live Longer"........damn commas again, always getting in the way. :LOL:

Try this link on you tube.

I believe this was originally on BBC so was probably on PBS. I watched this program (originally mentioned on this forum) and found it enlightening, with bonus benefits regarding protecting memory and cancer prevention. DH and I went on the program very successfully years ago. I believe I lost 25 pounds and DH similar. That weight loss decreased my weight to just below recommended body weight for my height and age. I kept the weight off successfully for a couple of years until last year. Changed habits and stress led to weight gain. For the past several months I have been looking for the motivation to get back to the 5:2 and other healthier habits(increased activity). Yesterday I fasted and slept so well last night. Today I feel great and we resume 5:2 and hope for similar success.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
So, that was an interesting documentary. The 5/2 approach certainly seems to have merit. But I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know whether the daily 16/8 approach has a similar effect on IGF1?

2) Does anyone know whether coffee with cream would break the 16 hour fast?

So, that was an interesting documentary. The 5/2 approach certainly seems to have merit. But I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know whether the daily 16/8 approach has a similar effect on IGF1?

2) Does anyone know whether coffee with cream would break the 16 hour fast?

Coffee is ok but not with sugar or cream.

Long Story and progression through intermittent fasting to share:

So about a year ago I had a medical issue with my digestive track. The not eating for procedure prep seemed to be a non issue for me. So I began to intermittently fast not eating 1-2 days a week. I made it about 4 weeks before it was no longer maintainable. The days of not eating become harder and harder to accomplish, with hunger pains (something I rarely experienced, hence the need to loose weight) becoming un-bearable.

Though I lost some weight maybe 3-6 pounds, I became discouraged and stopped. Since I still wanted to loose weight, and thought the digestive issues might be weight related, I sought out a medical weight loss program. I explored two options near me.

1) Was through a local hospital outreach and uses a full liquid diet.
2) The plan I chose was called Medi-weightloss, and it uses only solid food.

Since starting the plan on October 9th I've managed to shed a bit over 22 Lbs. or 9.4% of my body weight in 6 weeks. With most of it coming from fat and the water contained in the fat according to the bio-impedance measurements they've taken.:dance:

During this time, my mood has dramatically improved, blood pressure is down, and my wife says snoring has been drastically reduced. The mood could be related to the massive B12 & B6 vitamin supplements I'm taking. My mood was running so high, I actually interviewed a couple of companies to see about goosing my earnings and delaying FIRE plans. Then I regained my sanity.:LOL:

The program is essentially a low carb/calorie diet with nutritional supplements like vitamins, appetite suppressants, and fat burners. There are weekly 1 on 1 reviews with a nurse to discuss progress, and weight changes. In the beginning I had lots of questions, and the meeting were totally worth it for the first 3-5 visits. Now I'm in and out in 15 minutes.

Some benefits not expected:
1) I can get by on a grocery store pre-cooked chicken, 1/2 jar of pickles, and 8 oz of cheese every 2 days cutting my food bill down to $30 a week.:LOL:
2) Gastro issues I was experiencing have gone away. Probably due to the extremely low volume of food intake. Will know if this effect holds when I reintroduce carbs in the end of December.
3) Look forward to eating things like salads, tomatoes, and green veggies for variety.
4) General aches and pains are less frequent.
5) After a couple of weeks I was able to eliminate the appetite suppressants, and still control my food volume.

Program twists I made:
1) I didn't use any of the packaged snacks or protein shakes
2) I bought a fat monitoring scale and weigh myself daily
3) I decided in the beginning not to add strenuous exercise until the carbs are reintroduced, instead limiting to occasional walks.

The full liquid could have been just as successful for me, but I think it would have been more money.:D I have a friend who had started that in June or July and has lost nearly 100 Lbs or about 25% of his body weight.

Congratulations! And thanks for the testimonial. Very inspiring.

Long Story and progression through intermittent fasting to share:

So about a year ago I had a medical issue with my digestive track. The not eating for procedure prep seemed to be a non issue for me. So I began to intermittently fast not eating 1-2 days a week. I made it about 4 weeks before it was no longer maintainable. The days of not eating become harder and harder to accomplish, with hunger pains (something I rarely experienced, hence the need to loose weight) becoming un-bearable.

Last edited:
I tried this at a BMI of 22. My goal was better glucose utilization, one of the things that is frequently touted for this fasting. It was very unpleasant, and of no discernible benefit for me.

I believe that while IF may be effective, it also perhaps not easy to do well for some lean people. The group which it helps does not seem to include me. I tend to be skeptical of the latest, greatest thing that receives massive media hype. And of course, all these dietary manipulations are a huge market for lots of guru wanna-be types. Still, testimonials here indicate that for some or perhaps many, it can be helpful.

Ha

Last edited:
I have started intermittent fasting (google it if you don't know what it is) to lose some weight and live healthier. In just over two months, I lost 10% of my body weight. It is now what it used to be about 20 years ago. My BMI, skeleton muscle percentage, body fat percentage, visceral fat level all improved drastically. I feel like I will live longer & healthier. :dance:

The only drawback is, I am hungry much of the time. Although, it makes me savor food when I eat.

Anyone wants to share their results, progress, etc..?

Why are you hungry all the time. I'm 60 days in and I am rarely hungry..lol. Have you been able to keep the weight off.

Why are you hungry all the time. I'm 60 days in and I am rarely hungry..lol. Have you been able to keep the weight off.

These days, I do get hungry at times and sometimes I munch on stuff. Weight has been off for good. Actually, if I stay on the intermittent fasting in strict sense, I would lose more weight which I don't want to do. So, sometimes, I eat snack on purpose.

Last edited:
I have been doing intermittent fasting for months. It hasn't helped me lose weight. But my digestive system is much more settled at night, and skipping the evening meal means I have a lot more time in the evening! I'm also not having to cook as much.

Never could have imagined this 50+ lbs ago, but I no longer eat lunch (just not hungry for it) and also fast one day per week.

I rarely experience hunger the way I did in the bad old days.

This whole thread's making me hungry; think I'll have some very hot tea, half a dozen eggs, and lots of butter.......and wash it down with statins.

This whole thread's making me hungry; think I'll have some very hot tea, half a dozen eggs, and lots of butter.......and wash it down with statins.

Don't forget your aspirins.:LOL:

I rarely miss meals, but eat smaller portions, or just have fruit/yogurt instead of something heavy.

One of the ideas of intermittent fasting is that the body needs long periods of time to heal itself and it doesn't do this when digesting food. So lots of small meals can be detrimental and you need long periods of not eating at all.

Interesting topic. I will be following along for information.

Maybe when I actually retire, and have much more time to experiment, right now, with such an active lifestyle, I need the energy from an occasional bite to eat.

Back
Top Bottom