Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is Hard Work/Play Good for You?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd agree that hard work and hard play are good for you in the long run. My grandfather (95 years old) worked hard throughout his shoe-selling career, then went door-to-door as a census taker for many years after that. Constantly going back to the stock room, lifting boxes, climbing ladders, lengthy walks around large neighborhoods, etc... probably did him a great deal of good from a physical development perspective (he's a strong guy even today).

My recipe is different. I spend all day sitting on my butt exercising my mind (and my mouth on the phone), so heavy weightlifting in the evening 5 days a week and morning walks keep me pretty fit. I also watch what I eat very carefully, even going so far as logging every morsel that goes into my stomach so that I take in adequate macro-nutrients. Yes, that is a great deal of work, but I'm in better shape now at 36 than most 20 year olds I know. They actually come up to me and ask how to get into such great shape. My response? Stop drinking, cut out the pizza/fast food/junk food, stop partying until all hours of the night, and quit smoking. Just like every generation of young folks, they don't listen. :

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Use it or lose it. If you can - do it

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to OkieTexan

I am getting prepared for softball season again this year by ramping up my exercise a little each week. I had to forego the "Over 50 fast pitch men's league" this year because I am having trouble seeing the ball with bifocals. The spped is approx. 70 mph from 45 feet away. I just can't see it quickly enough, especially a riser (a pitch that breaks up) on the inside part of the plate.

However, the slow-pitch coed team says they are glad to have me and I am going to play with them!

I think it has been very good for me to participate in team sports. It helps the mind as well as the body.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm planning to go snowboarding on Monday. I'll tell you Tuesday how my 58 YO body feels.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Got in an hour and a half of downhill skiing at our local slope yesterday. Late am to early afternoon: most of the patrons are codgers there then to avoid the onslaught of reckless kids late pm. And they're all good. One of my buds, Mario, is 73. Great Euro style skiier, elegant and birdlike. As I was leaving, he was pulling a snowboard out of his locker as Marion, a 68 year old bud was going to show him the ropes. These are my (58) heroes, not some marshmallow, otherwise rich dude who has let belly fat feminize him into shehood. Harsh? I need the negative image of the girly man to keep me at my workouts and away from foods that will make my waist circumference bigger than my hips, a certain sign of metabolic syndrome and a burden on the healthcare system. I am a political progressive and bleeding heart but when it comes to the "choice" issues of diet and exercise, I guess I am a nazi.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
Got in an hour and a half of downhill skiing at our local slope yesterday. Mid am to early afternoon: most of the patrons are codgers there then to avoid the onslaught of reckless kids late pm. And they're all good.
My sister lives out in Steamboat. She is 75 and her BF of 30 years just turned 80 and skis regularly with a group called the "Over the Hill Gang." He is incredible. His kids are my age and astound me every time I see them. I guess it helps to live in a place like that.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

cmm
Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan
I am getting prepared for softball season again this year by ramping up my exercise a little each week. I had to forego the "Over 50 fast pitch men's league" this year because I am having trouble seeing the ball with bifocals. The spped is approx. 70 mph from 45 feet away. I just can't see it quickly enough, especially a riser (a pitch that breaks up) on the inside part of the plate.

However, the slow-pitch coed team says they are glad to have me and I am going to play with them!

I think it has been very good for me to participate in team sports. It helps the mind as well as the body.
I used to coach and play on a coed slowpitch softball team. There's advantages to being in right field if your secondbaseman is a good looking gal. Distracting, though. Today, my my bifocals might prevent me from seeing her, not to mention the ball.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I'm planning to go snowboarding on Monday. I'll tell you Tuesday how my 58 YO body feels.
Just got back. Not too bad for the first time out this year. Put in four hours, carving pretty well on intermediate slopes but no black diamonds. I took a few falls, one pretty spectacular. But the machine made snow was soft. My biggest problem with snow boards is getting up. I can't face downhill and just stand up like the yutes do. I have to turn around and face uphill. It is a PITA. I do a gazillion situps and crunchies so it isn't a weak stomach -- something else.