It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear that everyone else is managing to successfully fight the battle of the pounds. I was away on a work trip and gained a couple. However, I am back on the treadmill this morning as soon as I finish my breakfast. I am more determined than ever to get this weight off.

Back from China for 2 weeks. Ate a lot of great food, but with walking the Great Wall and extra activity, I lost 2 pounds. Down to 213. I need to vacation more often!

Well done. Isn't it great when having a brilliant vacation doesn't leave you with a weight debt to pay down. We find that our vacations have similar results when we manage to get in plenty of exercise as well. As long as we stay fit and the weather cooperates our vacations will include lots of outdoor activity.

Alan, I'm Scots/Irish, but born in Charleston--Fleming is my family name. I enthusiastically embrace the beer drinking habits of the Irish.

Colcannon (Irish: cál ceannan, white head) is a traditional Irish and West Scots food made from mashed potatoes, kale, butter, salt, and pepper. It can contain other ingredients such as milk, cream, leeks, onions, chives or garlic. At one time it was a cheap, year-round staple food.<Wikipedia>

I'm a half-pound from my goal weight--just about 50 lbs lighter than 6 1/2 months ago. Pretty darned cool, all things considered.

Sarah,

First, congratulations on losing 50lb in 6 months, that is a great achievment and done at a rate that gives your body time to adjust to and be more easily maintainable.

We lived in South West Scotland (Dumfries) for 2 years back in 1984 but never came across Culcannon. It sounds delicious. While in Dumfries our local "fish shop" sold the usual deep fried stuff you get in a fish shop in England plus they sold, deep fried in batter like the fish and sausages, Haggis and Mars bars. :duh:

Needless to say I was not quite so health conscious in those days and loved the deep fried haggis, but I used to cycle 5.5 miles to and from work every day, and that included some serious long hills.

I'm so glad you two guys picked up the posting--all my other weight loss friends here have fallen away! 147 today, it is true what they say about the last 5 lbs being the hardest! Just two pounds to go!
But on a good note, I'm a cheaper date now that I've lost about 50 lbs! :) The nights of taking down a 12 pack are over, I guess!

I haven't fallen away, I had surgery a month a go and I'm just getting back to normal...I'll be back soon. An WTG on 50lbs!!!!

Sarah - Congrats on 50 lbs!!

On a worse note, I went to the gym for the first time in forever yesterday. I used the doctor's style scale in the gym rather than my home scale. The gym scale says I am 222, not 212 lbs. I still lost 2 lbs in China (home scale went from 214 to 212), but I think my home scale is not accurate. Waist is 49.5 inches (I read the stuff above and measured).

I was tempted to try the new weight loss drug out there, but then read about the side effects and that people did not lose that much weight anyway. I know that the only solution is increasing the veggies, watching the portions, and aerobic exercise. The main problem I think is that overeatng is pleasurable, and a relief from stress (mostly job related). I need to find some other substitutes for overeating when I am tired or burnt out. I play piano, read, watch movies, but none of them quite provide the stress-relief that overeating does.

Hey - just a quick note to say I haven't fallen away completely! Just been super busy with a new job and traveling a lot on the weekends...exhausted here with limited time to surf the net. I have gained back 4 pounds, so I'm back to my starting weight of 135#. I'm not actively trying to lose weight right now as I'm too overwhelmed at the moment with other stuff, but I'll be checking in periodically.

Wow, way to go Sarah!!! I'm really impressed!

Thanks so much--I am officially at goal weight of 145 today! Now to the BF% goal of 25--right now at 30%. Boss told me he's giving me a bonus of $10 per pound now that I met my goal--and I was 60 lbs heavier in November--cha-ching! :) Nice! He says I have to spend it on clothes! :)

I can tell you that exercise is a huge stress reliever, Jeffrey. I think steer clear of the drugs--if you just write down what you eat, it will make a dramatic difference, I promise.
Simple Girl, Outtahere and DangerMouse, thanks so much for the encouragement and kind words--I FEEL GREAT! We are going on a river float trip on July 7th, and I can't wait to hang out in my two-piece with my skinny friends! And don't sweat not being focused on that right now with all the other stuff going on--I've been there! Now, if I can get through the CFP exam in 4 weeks without taking a hostage, life will be good!
Sarah

Way to go Sarah! $600? Not bad.
Simple Girl-- hope the new job is going well -- did you just switch or did you and your DH move again. You're profiled in the new book due out this Fall, btw -- your moving-around LBYM lifestyle should be interesting to readers.

Well, 4 parties for end-of-school year/kids birthdays in the last week and I gained 2 pounds back, but it was probably worth it. First square meals I've had in weeks. OK, OK, back to the deprivation, I mean discipline now to get them off and a few more besides!

Great work Sarah. I'm afraid I have not made any progress this week, still at 176.5lbs Very wet weekend so little exercise, plus I've had to work late 3 nights in a row no no trips to the gymn. I suppose I'm lucky to have maintained my weight.

Way to go Sarah! $600? Not bad.
Simple Girl-- hope the new job is going well -- did you just switch or did you and your DH move again. You're profiled in the new book due out this Fall, btw -- your moving-around LBYM lifestyle should be interesting to readers.

Hi ESRBob! Yep, we moved again! I found a new job which pays me a ridiculous amount of money (especially considering we live in a small town that is somewhat economically depressed), and I'm now ending up working more hours than I normally do. So DH and I made a conscious decision for me to work more hours for a short periord of time...we are hoping this will propel us to an earlier retirement. Combined with us still being on per diem for his job, well, it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up! Once we get to our target $, or if we find our lives becoming more hectic than we want, I will go back to limited part-time hours.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little!

Back to topic, I made it home early tonight and currently have been on the bike 65 minutes while reading the ER board! And I was good for lunch...only had Lean Cuisine. Now if I can just get myself stay away from BEER!

And I was good for lunch...only had Lean Cuisine. Now if I can just get myself stay away from BEER!

Lean Cuisine for lunch, cool, do the same myself most every lunch, but when it comes to beer, I can't give it up, so I don't try. Instead I ration myself and only drink it on a Friday after work, instead of dinner. :cool:

Hadn't thought of reading this board while exercycling -- how in the heck do you do it? WebTV or something?

Simple Girl -- glad to hear you're in your salad days on the earnings front -- a few gigs like that seem to have been in many ER's past. Just be sure to manage the stress.

Alan -- I like the idea of substituting beer for dinner Friday nights... Boddington's is my current caloric bete noir --- love that stuff now that I can get it in the US in a can...

Hadn't thought of reading this board while exercycling -- how in the heck do you do it? WebTV or something?
quote]

We have a recumbent bike (the kind you sit on with a back rest). We used a metal organizing stand, turned it upside down, and tied it onto the front panel of the bike (DH also used a small clamp to help hold the rack on securely). I sit my laptop computer on the rack and surf away while I exercise. I prefer to use a mouse, so I put a tv tray stand next to the bike and my mouse goes there. It's an easy way to burn some calories while enjoying myself.

DH also has a special rack that he bought which goes on his stairmaster. He also surfs the net, plays online crossword puzzles, etc. while exercising.

OH, we have wireless internet, so the only cord to deal with is the electric plug in. If you have a good laptop battery (which I don't), you wouldn't even need to deal with the cord.

Simple Girl - Your set up to use your laptop while exercising sounds great. A new meaning to "surf and turf"

Bob - Boddingtons invented the "widget" which is that little device that relaeses CO2 when you open the can to give that truly draft beer taste. Boddingtons is one of my favorite brews - you obviously have great taste in beer ^-^

This afternoon while down the Goose's Acre one of my tennis buddies called me to ask if I wanted to play this evening. Being half way through my 3rd pint of Smithwics I declined and scheduled for Sunday. Our games are too close to call for me to risk loosing after an afternoon "doon the boozer" :D

Alan,
Yes - 'Smitticks' is now on tap in our local, too. (The Irish bartender has schooled me in the proper pronunciation). We had Murphy's prior to that, which is also a good draft beer. Looking forward to more of the same on our trip to Ireland later this summer... But when I'm at home or camping, cans of Boddingtons to the trick. And spraying them all over my arm and hand just kind of adds to that pub smell ambience...

A day early, but I've lost the 2+ pounds and am back at 179 this morning. I feel like I've consolidated at this level and am ready to make the next down-move. Do I sound like a stock chart analyst?

Alan,
A day early, but I've lost the 2+ pounds and am back at 179 this morning. I feel like I've consolidated at this level and am ready to make the next down-move. Do I sound like a stock chart analyst?

or an engineer :)

I track my weight on spreadsheets and charts with a target "setpoint" when I set out on campaigns to lose "x" pounds. Control Loops always work best with feedback and set points.

Keep your Boddingtons in the refrigerator to minimize spraying it around when you pop the tab. If you like it a little warmer than straght out the fridge, it doesn't take long to warm up a bit. Not that I'm a big beer drinker of course :angel:

Rats, just realized that I ate a Vietnamese meal today - delicious - low calories - Tilapia in spicy ginger sauce and vegetables, but extremely salty so always extra heavy on the scales the next morning 'cos of water retention.

I'm late to this - was at 215 when I was working in 2001.
I'm now at 190 and shooting for 185. I'm 6'3".

Thanks so much--I am officially at goal weight of 145 today! Now to the BF% goal of 25--right now at 30%. Boss told me he's giving me a bonus of $10 per pound now that I met my goal--and I was 60 lbs heavier in November--cha-ching! :) Nice! He says I have to spend it on clothes! :)

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Would you please tell me what your strategy has been for losing weight? I am having a terrible time focusing and sticking to a diet plan.

--Oldbabe, who really needs to lose 30 lbs.

174.5 today, so 2lbs better than last week and getting close to my desired range of 168 - 172. So far it has been 7lbs in 9 weeks so I'm not breaking any speed records :)

Holding steady at 135, which is fine with me for now. I'm just glad I didn't gain any more this week!

I'm late to this - was at 215 when I was working in 2001.
I'm now at 190 and shooting for 185. I'm 6'3".
I'm at 193 today! I didn't eat that much, maybe to much salt and I'm holding

Weight the same - 222. However, I walked 4 miles on Saturday in the Park, 2 miles on Tuesday on a treadmill, and 3 of the last 5 days I got off the subway (I live in NYC) one stop early (about half a mile a stop) to walk home just a bit extra. I want to get up to about 20 miles a week, while cutting a few hundred calories a day. I am also going to reread a calorie counter booklet I have on the shelf, so I can estimate daily calories a bit better. I have had trouble estimating how many calories a day I should be targeting.

I estimate that if I don't watch it I eat over 3k calories a day. I tried losing weight about a year ago, and lost 10 lbs before life intervened and I stopped. I found 2000 calories a day doable short term (few weeks) but very hard to stick with it, but about 2500 a day was much easier, though I still had to count or I went over if I didn't pay attention.

It's funny, but when I am about to eat a bit extra, I do think of this forum, and posting every week or two, and it makes me think if I am really hungry, or eating due to stress. Hopefully, in two weeks, I will have a loss to report. :)

Well, here I am back again. I really need some way to be accountable for my goals so I am planning on doing the Wed check in here. My goal is to lose 10 lbs by Aug 12 when I go on a trip to Africa. Today I hiked for 1.25 hrs with my dog in the nearby foothills, also went to the gym for 45 min of cardio and upper body weight training. I am used to this exercise regime, although I don't usually do both in one day.

I don't usually weigh myself but today I did. 175. *sigh*

Ate healthy except for breakfast (coissant and latte). Will do oatmeal and blueberries tomorrow morning. Drinking lots of water.

I have not posted here in awhile either. I have not been keeping up with this thread, but did go back a couple of pages and saw that Sarah has lost 50 lbs in 6 months. That is awesome!!! You go girl!

I am weighing 111 or 112 each day. I broke down and bought some Weight Watcher digital scales and like knowing how much I weigh. I have done what Dr. Oz recommends, which is automating what I eat for breakfast and lunch everyday. I have Kashi Go Lean cereal with blueberries for breakfast everyday and 1/2 turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with mustard and lettuce. I also have some type of vegetables and fruit at lunch and a glass of skim milk. Today I had raw baby carrots and some watermelon. Yummy! I try to eat a sensible dinner. My biggest problem is snacking at night. I usually snack on Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal eaten dry or microwave kettle corn popcorn. If I get started eating sweets (especially candy) it is all over. I try to limit it to once per month!

DH is down to 222 lbs. He has fluctuated up and down more. He is still working though. I had a harder time losing weight when I was working, probably due to the stress and the extra junk food that was around. His blood pressure is down, I am guessing from the small amount of weight that he has lost and he tries to walk at least 30 minutes 5 days per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom