It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you do if you have hypothyroidism? At my lowest weight , I was 156 lbs. When I retired from the military in 1998, I was 182 lbs. As I write this, I weigh around 242 lbs. Now that I am retired, I make it a point to walk between 15 - 21 miles per week. 3 miles each time. I am very disappointed because my weight has not come down. Granted I am not the best eater, but it seems that even when I am conscious about what I eat, I do not lose weight. Anyone else out there who has a slow thyroid willing to share their secret to losing weight? My wish and goal is to get to 190 lbs.

3/25 270
6/25 220
9/13 208
9/21 206
9/27 203

No rice, potatoes, pasta, sweets. A little whole wheat bread, a little carb balance tortilla shells. Lots of salad and roasted vegetables. Plenty of beef, chicken and eggs. No snacks, but low carbs prevents cravings.
Next goal is to change the first digit of my weight.

So what do you do if you have hypothyroidism? At my lowest weight , I was 156 lbs. When I retired from the military in 1998, I was 182 lbs. As I write this, I weigh around 242 lbs. Now that I am retired, I make it a point to walk between 15 - 21 miles per week. 3 miles each time. I am very disappointed because my weight has not come down. Granted I am not the best eater, but it seems that even when I am conscious about what I eat, I do not lose weight. Anyone else out there who has a slow thyroid willing to share their secret to losing weight? My wish and goal is to get to 190 lbs.

I might be a bit off on this, but exercise only accounts for 10 - 15% of weight loss. The rest is gained buy eating less or eating the right foods.

3/25 270
6/25 220
9/13 208
9/21 206
9/27 203
10/5 204

I was down to 202 on 10/3, but ate out last night - birthday dinner with the family. I had a light beer. First alcohol in 6 months. My guess is that the meal was salty enough to make me retain water. We will see.

Down a couple pounds to 213lbs.

Finally tested negative for Covid. Got out to weekly bike races this week. Felt good to be outside and amongst friends again.

03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
It's getting harder to lose weight. I've lost 25% of my weight, so I need fewer calories per day. Couple that with the natural tendency to find ways to "cheat," and the pounds drop off more slowly. Posting here is an additional motivator. Didn't need it during the early days, when I was losing 3 lbs/week. The last time I was this weight, I got down to 199 and stalled. I don't want to repeat the stall, but keep losing until I am 170-180. At 6'2", that would be a good weight for me. 194 puts me just into the normal range for BMI, but lower would be better.

Dropped three pounds this week, down to 210 lbs.

All recovered from COVID and feeling pretty good. Doubleheader weekend last weekend racing bikes against two dozen fast old (50 y.o.) guys. Sitting in fourth place for the Fall season.

Fellow hypothyroid sufferer here. Sigh. All I can say is I understand your struggle. My experience and advice is to take it very slowly. The thyroid is a temperamental beast and it doesn't take much to aggravate it. So, unlike your friends who can exercise to take weight off and/or compensate for overeating, that doesn't work at all. Also, unlike your friends a drastic diet may also not give you great results or even cause weight gain. Even though it is opposite of what you want to do now, I would just try not to gain any more weight. Slow and steady wins the race.

Everything boils down to keeping the thyroid happy:

First, make sure your thyroid levels are good. Too high or too low can cause weight gain.

Eat a healthy diet, possibly lower carb but not no carb since this can be stressful to the body and stress is what sets off the thyroid.

Exercise moderately (the walking you are doing is good). You might look into doing some weights a couple of time a week as muscle helps to burn fat.

Look into food allergy testing as that can cause inflammation, bloating and you guessed it stress to your body which sets off the thyroid.

Make sure you are sleeping enough. If you are waking up in the middle of the night, your body is not getting the down time you need and that will cause stress which once again will set off the thyroid.

Reached a major goal today. I changed the first digit of my weight!
03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
10/18/22 199

Next goal is 194 which will put my BMI at the very top of "normal" weight. I don't really want to stop there, but it's the next waypoint.

Today's meals:
B: 1 slice 12 grain bread with about 2T of peanut butter
L: 2 Tilapia filets baked with garlic, lemon zest, lemon, butter, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes & paprika
D: About 10 oz of porterhouse steak and broccoli, carrots, snow peas & mushrooms in a homemade stir-fry sauce

Because I am avoiding most carbs, I'm taking an ordinary over-50 type multivitamin in case I am missing anything by that choice.

Losing the weight may have affected my mental health. Yesterday I found myself looking forward to mowing the grass. ;-)

03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
10/18/22 199

Next goal is 194 which will put my BMI at the very top of "normal" weight. I don't really want to stop there, but it's the next waypoint.

Today's meals:
L: 2 Tilapia filets baked with garlic, lemon zest, lemon, butter, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes & paprika
D: About 10 oz of porterhouse steak and broccoli, carrots, snow peas & mushrooms in a homemade stir-fry sauce

Because I am avoiding most carbs, I'm taking an ordinary over-50 type multivitamin in case I am missing anything by that choice.

Losing the weight may have affected my mental health. Yesterday I found myself looking forward to mowing the grass. ;-)
Nice progress.

I’m roughly your height, started at about 224 in August, would like to get down eventually to 185 which would be around college weight. Currently at about 212. I shed 10 pounds pretty quickly but a week long out of town vacation set me backwards. I’ve gotten to just over 200 a couple of times over the years but gained it back.

The motivation is different this time, not just health cholesterol but a higher than desired coronary calcium score, which requires a longer term commitment to manage.

At this point just tracking what I eat, avoiding most junk, getting plenty of fiber. However I think I’m going to have to get a little more disciplined to get to my ultimate goals.

03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
10/18/22 199

Wow, congrats, that is a good 10 months of progress!

I took two weeklong trips to CA (from New England) in 3 weeks, and "over dined" a bit. Gained 9 lbs from my recent low and weighed in at 181 last couple days. Not the least bit concerned. I am not really trying to lose weight, but I was probably 204 when I retired in 2017, and bottomed out at around 171 this past summer. I am not dieting at all (but don't eat stupid) but have found that I am a bit less active when I travel with DW and we eat well, very well.

Staying upright and active most of the day seems to be the key.

Still holding at 222. The triple deuce. Sometimes I float up to 225 and sometimes sink to 219.

Just like to eat I guess - :)

But since I started at 245, not too bad eh?

What about Body Recomposition where you lose fat but gain muscle and your weight doesn’t change? Took 4” off my waist but you wouldn’t know it from the scale! Kind of frustrating….

03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
10/18/22 199

Today's meals:

Fabulous. Can't see how you need a multivitamin with that intake. It's the people on the highly-processed carb SAD diet that might consider a supplement. There are no essential carbohydrates.

209 lbs today. Down a pound from last week.

Bike race yesterday. Felt great and had plenty of fuel in the tank. Raced in an “open” category, which is open to all ages. Fun racing against the young guns! Finished mid-pack. Happy with that result.

Nice progress.

I’m roughly your height, started at about 224 in August, would like to get down eventually to 185 which would be around college weight. Currently at about 212. I shed 10 pounds pretty quickly but a week long out of town vacation set me backwards. I’ve gotten to just over 200 a couple of times over the years but gained it back.

The motivation is different this time, not just health cholesterol but a higher than desired coronary calcium score, which requires a longer term commitment to manage.

At this point just tracking what I eat, avoiding most junk, getting plenty of fiber. However I think I’m going to have to get a little more disciplined to get to my ultimate goals.
Aug 224
Sept 214
10/19 212
10/25 209.4

Onwards to 200.

03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
10/18/22 199
10/26/22 196

Good week. 7 months, 74#. Going to get my AIC checked next week. I'm hoping that it dropped some from the last time. If so, it's due in part to my weight loss, and not entirely due to the low carb diet. I'd like to be able to introduce some carbs back into my diet when I get to goal. That goal is 170 or 180.

I thought I would list some tips for weight loss that have helped me in my diet. Getting the diabetic diagnosis was key, but that is motivation, not technique. Here are my "rules for dieting".

• Never eat something you don't like. Resign from the "clean plates club"
• Always eat less than you used to.
• Enlist your spouse to help.
• Low carbs every day. You'll be less hungry.
• Make each meal special. Grill a hot dog, don't microwave it. Learn to cook better.
• Find a salad dressing you love. Do portion control with it and thoroughly toss your salad with it. It lets you look forward to salads.
• Roast vegetables. They taste better.
• Research restaurant menus ahead of time for low carb options. Try appetizers to exercise portion control.
• Make weight loss goals. Lose 50 lbs, change first digit of weight, move to overweight, then normal weight BMI.
• Keep a list of things that are better after losing weight.
• Watch glycemic index of foods.
• I avoided alcohol. I e I had 1 beer, 1 glass of wine in 7 months. Done less to save carbs, but more to avoid loss of portion discipline.
• Carbs are most important, but calories count.
• Commit to no potatoes, rice, pasta, white bread for the duration of your diet.
• Keep spring mix, tomatoes, and other salad fixings on hand.
• Make homemade sugar free teriyaki sauce with splenda as the sweetener. Splenda can take heat, Equal can't.

It's doable.

03/25/22 270
e.
• Carbs are most important, but calories count.
• Commit to no potatoes, rice, pasta, white bread for the duration of your diet.

It's doable.

Re: the "for the duration of your diet" once I stopped the diet, I gained it all back, so you need a sustainable way of eating.

I went on a keto diet a few years ago and lost 24 lbs and had much improved blood test results. But, I was very strict 20 carbs, weighed everything I ate, it was unsustainable, at least for me.
I went back to normal eating after the blood test results and gained it all back.

I have now been on a carnivore diet for 4 months, my weight dropped from 170 to 134 and now I'm trying to eat enough to sustain my weight.
This is much easier for me that Keto, just eat meat, eggs, bacon and butter as the basics, add some seafood or chicken if you like.

My wife complained I looked like Santa clause, now she says I'm to skinny, I'm not, I think she's jealous!
I'm interested in my next set of blood tests, to see how this high fat diet affects them. Some people have lowered cholesterol, some don't change and there is a subset that has an increase in cholesterol.
Getting enough fat is the key, it provides satiety and energy. If you decide to try this, be aware, it takes your gut microbiome time adjust and you will probably have diarrhea for a couple weeks, a low carb to carnivore transition may help with that.

03/25/22 270
06/25/22 220
09/13/22 208
09/21/22 206
09/27/22 203
10/05/22 204
10/12/22 201
10/18/22 199
10/26/22 196
11/02/22 194

Big milestone this week. I exited the overweight BMI range and entered the very top of normal BMI. I also got an A1C test yesterday and it is down 0.2 to 5.3. I was hoping for a little larger drop as I have lost 25 lbs since the last one, but my diet hasn't changed, so that probably dominated. 7 months, 9 days.

This isn't the end. I still have to decide on a final target. I plan to stay on track until I visit my doctor at the beginning of December. I will talk to him about what my final goal should be. I'm guessing he will say that I am fine where I am, but I'd like to continue to 180. The interwebs say that I'm in the ideal BMI range for longevity. Not gonna reach for a glazed cruller yet.

Down one lb to 193. Tough week. Birthday party temptations. Just glad to end the week with a net loss.

78 kg. Been stuck at 79.5 for Months so finally! Somehow losing inches and building muscle is just not as satisfying as seeing the scale move

190. A nice, even 80 lb loss. I have my pcp appointment tomorrow. I'll set my final goal after consulting with him.
I'm losing about 1 pound per week now following the same diet that would shed 3 lbs/week 8 months and 80 lbs ago.

190. A nice, even 80 lb loss. I have my pcp appointment tomorrow. I'll set my final goal after consulting with him.
I'm losing about 1 pound per week now following the same diet that would shed 3 lbs/week 8 months and 80 lbs ago.
Congratulations!

Wow that is amazing. You must feel great, both mentally and physically. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom