Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #3561
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I've got extra motivation now to keep my weight very lean and avoid sugars and carbs...I became prediabetic after all the steroids I took last year during chemo, and it doesn't look like it is going away. Started testing my blood sugar, and I'm learning what is spiking it...knowledge is power!

Hope everyone is doing well.
Great job! If you can eat fat (but need to avoid carbs & sugar) I have tons of recipes for maintenance. But they do tend to be high fat - it doesn't do bad things to my health in the absence of carbs. But everyone is individual. Anyhow glad to share recipes of this sort
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #3562

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Great job! If you can eat fat (but need to avoid carbs & sugar) I have tons of recipes for maintenance. But they do tend to be high fat - it doesn't do bad things to my health in the absence of carbs. But everyone is individual. Anyhow glad to share recipes of this sort
I can eat fat, but it's a balancing act, of course, with excess calories...so that is the "rub" for me. I limit myself to 1400 calories daily (with flexibility esp. on weekends for splurges). Right now I'm still eating my regular meals and just testing to see what happens. So far have discovered my beloved oatmeal appears to be a big culprit in spiking my blood sugar. I'm learning even healthy carbs can be no-no's, depending on the individual response. Wah! Oh well. Time for some eggs and bacon. You do what ya gotta do, lol.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #3563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi - I am just starting ( today, for the umpteenth time) a low carb diet, again. I started doing this periodically 11 years ago and have found that the only way for me to lose easily is to stick to really low carb - basically Atkins induction. I've had flu for 6 weeks but it's down to a nasty occasional cough so I'm going for it.
Quote:
Just reporting in - lost 3.5 pounds in 7 days. It won't continue at that rate but it's a nice start. If it would stop snowing I could get out of the house to walk some...
When you get where you want to stay are you able to add in a little rice and potatoes and not gain or does even a little bit of carb start you back up?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #3564

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
When you get where you want to stay are you able to add in a little rice and potatoes and not gain or does even a little bit of carb start you back up?
A little bit doesn't start me gaining but it does stop me losing weight. Usually I only put on 2-3 pounds when I go off it. I think low carb is a diuretic and the water weight returns. So I can usually maintain for a while. It's bread that I miss I have found that I don't gain weight if I eat the low-carb bread substitutes but I also don't lose weight. (Weight Watchers doesn't work for me, I'm too ravenously hungry all the time.)

So if I lose 10 pounds and go back to regular food I'll keep 7 or 8 off for a while. I can't quite get myself to forgo real bread for life. Or sweet potatoes. Or...

I mostly need to lose weight to control my cholesterol and blood pressure and have my clothes fit again. I was 10 pounds over the weight I swore I would never again exceed...

The main thing I've found is that FOR ME unless I eat Atkins induction level (under 20 g of carb a day) I don't lose weight. I have found that the low-carb pills keep me in ketosis... which theoretically should mean I lose weight...? (swansonvitamin.com Ultimate Carb Control C-120X). If anyone else tries them, let me know what they do for you.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #3565

Quote:
A little bit doesn't start me gaining but it does stop me losing weight. Usually I only put on 2-3 pounds when I go off it. I think low carb is a diuretic and the water weight returns. So I can usually maintain for a while. It's bread that I miss I have found that I don't gain weight if I eat the low-carb bread substitutes but I also don't lose weight. (Weight Watchers doesn't work for me, I'm too ravenously hungry all the time.)
You might be insulin resistant if you are sensitive to carbs like that (although I am far from an expert on this yet!). It may be worth asking your doc for an a1c test if you haven't already.

It's amazing what glucose monitoring is showing me. All breakfasts I have had with carbs raised my glucose so far. This morning I had my first breakfast without carbs and my glucose actually went down - quite surprising for me to see it go down (although I had my highest fasting glucose yet this morning, so that may be throwing off the data).

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #3566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So if I lose 10 pounds and go back to regular food I'll keep 7 or 8 off for a while. I can't quite get myself to forgo real bread for life. Or sweet potatoes. Or...

I mostly need to lose weight to control my cholesterol and blood pressure and have my clothes fit again. I was 10 pounds over the weight I swore I would never again exceed...

The main thing I've found is that FOR ME unless I eat Atkins induction level (under 20 g of carb a day) I don't lose weight. I have found that the low-carb pills keep me in ketosis... which theoretically should mean I lose weight...? (swansonvitamin.com Ultimate Carb Control C-120X). If anyone else tries them, let me know what they do for you.
I agree that carbs will cause you to retain water, maybe adding a couple of pounds. I dropped 30 pounds with low carb and then started carefully adding them back in. I will see a 2 pound increase overnight after a day with more than my target amount of carbs -- definitely if I eat significant amounts of wheat breads or candies. But, foregoing the carbs the following day takes the pounds right back off -- that tells me it is water, not fat, that is bouncing around. But those other 28 pounds were not water, they were fat.

I try to stay with low glycemic carbs including rice, sweet potatoes, boiled white potatoes, Pepperidge Farm carb style bread, and Hi-Lo cereal. If I keep those down to a relatively small amount (e.g 1/2 cup rice, 2 slices carb style bread in a ham and cheese sandwich in one day) I can hold steady. But I did have to work hard to get down to my ideal weight in the first place.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #3567

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I agree that carbs will cause you to retain water, maybe adding a couple of pounds. I dropped 30 pounds with low carb and then started carefully adding them back in. I will see a 2 pound increase overnight after a day with more than my target amount of carbs -- definitely if I eat significant amounts of wheat breads or candies. But, foregoing the carbs the following day takes the pounds right back off -- that tells me it is water, not fat, that is bouncing around. But those other 28 pounds were not water, they were fat.

I try to stay with low glycemic carbs including rice, sweet potatoes, boiled white potatoes, Pepperidge Farm carb style bread, and Hi-Lo cereal. If I keep those down to a relatively small amount (e.g 1/2 cup rice, 2 slices carb style bread in a ham and cheese sandwich in one day) I can hold steady. But I did have to work hard to get down to my ideal weight in the first place.
And if I ever get down to my ideal weight...

I just watched a show that was on PBS a while ago about the women's movement. The interesting thing was how much thinner everyone was in the 60s - not just the New Yorkers, not just the college kids or models. I weighed 42 pounds less when I was in college. And I'm not really fat-looking now. What the heck happened to the country? Less exercise, maybe - larger portions...

The great thing about low carb is I can eat fat, so I don't feel hungry. Maybe this time I'll lose a lot... 10 pounds at a time is how I look at it.

Hmm. I haven't seen Pepperidge Farm lo-carb bread - I'll have to find it.

I thought white potatoes & rice were not low glycemic. Sweet potatoes/brown rice are better... Just assume if it's white it's bad for you? :-)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #3568
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I thought white potatoes & rice were not low glycemic. Sweet potatoes/brown rice are better... Just assume if it's white it's bad for you? :-)
Potatoes are fairly high but, apparently, much lower when cooked at lower temperatures (e.g. boiled) or, to a degree, when cooled and reheated at lower temperatures. I stayed away from potatoes and white rice for months initially but then read about the so-called "safe starches" hypothesis in The Perfect Health Diet, by Paul Jaminet, and added them back in. Jaminet's book played right to my ancestral (Irish) bias for potatoes so I was quick to give it a shot.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #3569

Quote:
And if I ever get down to my ideal weight...

I just watched a show that was on PBS a while ago about the women's movement. The interesting thing was how much thinner everyone was in the 60s - not just the New Yorkers, not just the college kids or models. I weighed 42 pounds less when I was in college. And I'm not really fat-looking now. What the heck happened to the country? Less exercise, maybe - larger portions...
We as a country are so much heavier than we used to be. I remember when I was young that we would notice someone over 300 pounds. Now it seems like 300+ pound people are everywhere. I think it is because of less exercise, larger portions, processed sugar in seemingly everything in the grocery store AND the low fat movement.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #3570
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
We as a country are so much heavier than we used to be. I remember when I was young that we would notice someone over 300 pounds. Now it seems like 300+ pound people are everywhere. I think it is because of less exercise, larger portions, processed sugar in seemingly everything in the grocery store AND the low fat movement.
I just heard the author Michael Moss, Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, interviewed on the radio. It was enlightening to see the science and economics that goes into enticing the consumer to over eat unhealthy, processed food. He even discussed on some of thr top food executives expressed remorse over their culpability in creating the obesity problem in kids.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #3571

The low fat movement and the high carb movement really made people fat - they thought they were eating healthily and instead they got fatter. It never ceases to amaze me. And I bought into it, just like everyone else. Carbs are GOOD! Oh, not all the time or all of them...
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #3572
Give me a forum ...

177.5 Nov 2008
173.5 Dec 23, 2009
168.5 Feb 23, 2010
182 Dec 22, 2010
183 Dec 2, 2011
186.5 Jan 21, 2012
183 April 25
181.5 Aug 22
178 Sep 7, 2012 Been a bit off my feed, but all those shrimp I ate yesterday will fix that.

188 March 12, 2013 Wow, I gained 10 lbs since Sept.
185.5 Mar 24

REVISED:
Short Term Goal - 175 lbs and maintaining all through 2013
Long Term Goal - 170 lbs for 2014
High school weight 135 lbs senior year, running track
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #3573

Quote:
The low fat movement and the high carb movement really made people fat - they thought they were eating healthily and instead they got fatter. It never ceases to amaze me. And I bought into it, just like everyone else. Carbs are GOOD! Oh, not all the time or all of them...
The most amazing thing is that most of America still thinks low fat and the high carbs that come with it is good for themselves.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #3574

I'm SURE this has been mentioned before, but there's a great book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes - the original study was in the NYTimes magazine some years ago. Great information.

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - New York Times

And apparently you can still read the article online.

(I just love smileys.)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #3575

Curses. It's not Wednesday but my weight is just staying where it was last Wednesday...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #3576

My weight is .2 pound MORE than last week and my measurements are about the same, but my pants seem to be less tight.

I'm staying on the diet. From past experience I know sometimes it comes off easier than others, and we've had snow for several days so I haven't been getting out much to walk around. Possibly exercise is the key....
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #3577
Dryer sheet aficionado

181 pounds thanks to the "Lose It" app.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #3578

What's the "Lose It" app?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #3579
Administrator

Quote:
What's the "Lose It" app?
It's an app that hides your smartphone when you put it down. You then expend lots of calories searching for it.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #3580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It's an app that hides your smartphone when you put it down. You then expend lots of calories searching for it.

Closed Thread