It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
SG, They make light coconut milk, I use it with little difference in taste, to me. Want to share your recipe? I'm not so good with Thai and Indian food--love it but know little about how to prepare it.

Yeah, I need to break down and make myself try the light stuff...the reason I don't is because the recipe says to let the thick coconut milk rise to the top. I was doubting the light stuff would do that. However, I'll never know unless I try.

Some of the ingredients can be found in a regular grocery store, but many are only found in an asian grocery store. CALL them ahead of time to make sure they have Thai basil and the lime leaves (p.s. the lime leaves freeze really nicely but the basil goes bad quickly and must be used ASAP). Not all asian grocery stores have the thai basil...and it MUST be thai (tastes sort of like licorice) for this recipe to be authentic.

Here's my recipe...warning, it's addictive! And I apologize to my fellow dieters...this isn't lo-fat!

Green Curry with Chicken(or beef/shrimp)
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1/2 of a 4 oz. can of green curry paste (we like it HOT...adjust for your palate. Or use red curry for less heat.)
  • 12 oz of boneless chicken, thinly sliced (we put it in the freezer for 15 or 20 minutes, then run it through the slicer attachment on our food processor for really thin slices)
  • 1/2 cup chopped eggplant
  • 1/4 cup pea eggplants (if you can't find pea eggplants, just use extra chopped eggplant. BTW, the pea eggplants have a very interesting almost bitter taste...really good - but I usually can't find them)
  • 2 tbsps palm sugar (if you can't find palm sugar, use raw sugar or brown sugar)
  • 2 kaffir lime leaves, stemmed
  • 1/2 to 1 cup (or more...to taste) loosely packed thai basil leaves
  • 2 tbsps fish sauce
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
Let the coconut milk stand and thick coconut milk will rise to the top; spoon thick coconut milk into small bowl. (or, if you know your canned milk has sat still for a while, just pour off the thick part off the top.)

In a wok or large frying pan, heat thick coconut milk over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until it starts to separate. (if it doesn't separate, you can add a little oil) Add the green curry paste and fry, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Add chicken and cook until meat is opaque on all sides, 2-3 minutes. Add remaining thin coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add the eggplants and red pepper and simmer for 4 minutes, until slightly soft. Add palm sugar to taste. Tear kaffir lime leaves (I roll them up and cut with kitchen shears into tiny slivers) and basil leaves into pieces and add. Stir in fish sauce.
Serve with jasmine rice.

ENJOY!

(if you make with shrimp, add them after the eggplants to the boiling coconut milk since they don't take long to cook)

Oh, also - cut up/prep everything before you start to cook. It cooks really fast!

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
1/30: 196.0 16.6%
2/06: 198.2 16.9%
2/13: 194.8 16.4%
2/20: 191.8 16.5%
2/27: 192.0 16.6%
3/05: 190.0 16.3%
3/12: 192.8 16.2%
3/19: 191.2 15.8%
3/26: 193.2 16.4%
4/02: 192.6 15.6%
4/09: 193.6 15.8%
4/16: 187.4 16.2%

New Goal: 185.0 15.3%

Heh, I got an outlying data point this week. My water percentage was low, which causes the fat percentage to rise. Last night I had a good Jiu Jitsu workout (though I'm sporting a shiner from an inadvertant knee to the head), and eating my salad afterwards seemed like too much effort. So I had a slice of toast with peanut butter for dinner.

I decided to lower my goal. 185 would be really cool. 192 was always a reachable interim goal. I don't see myself getting below 185, so I think that's my final goal.

127#; still in the zone but watching it closely. Sick for the second week in a row so haven't worked out much.

Still doing well keeping in my maintenance zone - 127#. Yesterday I was 128, though, so still have to closely watch what I eat.

I'm back to working out regularly now, and it feels great to be back on the exercise wagon again!

Congrats on the new low Kronk!

173 again - right where I want it. DW and I did a new weight training session with our trainer - very invigorating - hoo aah :D

I won't get a weight until maybe next week........really going to try to eat less because now I am basically sedentary.........:(

Get some free weights. Do curls till your arms fall off when you get home at night. You can do those without putting weight on the ankle.

DW and I were in the gym tonight having a session with our personal trainer. One of the exercises I was doing included holding 50lbs while doing static lunges for which I was complaining about (as one does). She reminded me that only 6 years ago I was 50lb heavier and carrying that weight around every minute of the day.

50lb is VERY heavy when you hold in your hands like that and think that it used to be mostly on my gut and upper body.

Get some free weights. Do curls till your arms fall off when you get home at night. You can do those without putting weight on the ankle.

Lately I have been thinking about 12 and 16 ounce curls..........:D

Still doing well keeping in my maintenance zone - 127#. Yesterday I was 128, though, so still have to closely watch what I eat.

I'm back to working out regularly now, and it feels great to be back on the exercise wagon again!

125#. Yippee!

I've been watching the intake closer this week and also kicking my own butt working out. I took an hour step class (with the step on the second level) and then did my dance workout for 30 minutes after that. My legs were screamin' that night! Felt fine the next day, though.

I think aerobically I am in the best shape I have ever been, even though I've weighed less in the past. That sure does feel good to say that at 40 years old! And one of my friends commented on me losing weight the other day, which felt great!:D

I thinks that Simple Girl and Calgary Girl are due for some serious bathing suit shopping! Great going ladies! :)

I'm maintaining, barely at 149 at the moment, but with finals and our client seminar I'm not at the gym at all. Sigh. Next week...the battle cry....

Oh, and while I haven't tried the Curry recipe, I did make up a nice one last night with coconut milk--I put two haddock loins in a baking dish with sliced leeks, plus some diced fresh tomatoes/onions/peppers and poured the coconut milk over the top. Baked at 325 for about 35 minutes--yummy--like a chowder almost, but I could leave it in the oven instead of fiddling with the stove. Good to do while I was slaving over my poli sci essay final. Whew!

4/23: 193.6 15.4%

New Goal: 185.0 15.3%

Last night turned into Date Night again. So I ended up eating a whole lot. This is why I weigh myself every day -- weight has been steadily 190-191 over the last week, which is really good for me. It'll drop back down tomorrow.

I thinks that Simple Girl and Calgary Girl are due for some serious bathing suit shopping! Great going ladies! :)
quote]

Not quite there yet but I'm trying.

Slight setback today:
End of week 6: UP 0.4 lbs :rant:
Total Lost: 14.6 lbs

Didn't have a chance to really exercise the past few days so I need to get back into it this week!

Well, nothing like getting a running jump on a train that's already speeding along, but I think this is a great way to keep track and motivate myself even more to get back down to fighting weight, which has ranged anywhere between 190-215, between summer and winter.

Dec 31st 2007:
Weight: 286

April 23rd 2008:
Weight: 270

It's been slow going, and hard, but I'm still going through physical and occupational therapy to try to get back to running and lifting heavier weights. Diet for the last year and a half was atrocious - I wasn't the type who loses weight during depression. January 1st of 2008 was a huge turning point and I'm back on track.

My goal for next Wednesday is to be at 268. :bat:

Welcome to the thread Gypsy. Sounds like you are making good progress already. Slow and steady is the best way to ensure long term weight loss.

Well, I missed a couple of weeks due to vacation and being on the road for business, but I do have some figures:

April 2, 207.5 BMI 32.5
April 9, 205.0 BMI 32.1
April 16, 203.5 BMI 31.9
April 23, 204.5 BMI 32.0 (Went backwards a little)
April 30, 206.5 BMI 32.3 (backwards some more)

I'm really pleased that I didn't gain any more than three pounds after two weeks of vacations and on the road business meetings eating. These time periods have always been what ended my efforts in the past, but not this time. I'm home and back on track. I'll be back to the April 16 weight by next week, then down from there!

Alright Alan, that is just what the package said, but now that you think about it...where exactly are the hips on a haddock? haha!

151 today, but after the grim week of both my finals and our client seminar (as you might imagine I am much less friendly in person than online) where I had 80 people talking at me for 3 days, I am back to the gym every day and staying out of the beer section of the grocery store!

Summer is tough, as you have the twin goals of looking decent in less clothes combined with ample opportunities for drinking and socializing. I wish there was some secret besides becoming a hermit to not gaining weight while still getting to see your friends and have fun.

4/23: 193.6 15.4%
4/30: 188.8 15.9%

Goal: 185.0 15.3%

Alternating high and low weeks here, depending on the previous night's meal. Not much to eat last night and a good Jiu Jitsu workout, so the weight was low.

April 30th, 2008:
Weight: 270.5 (+0.5 Lbs)

When I first started lifting weights I became interested in the workouts made popular by Vince Gironda (he may have even started them, for all I know). The most popular was 8 sets of 8 reps, with about 10-20 seconds of rest between each set. With using a light weight, it made it mixed some of the best qualities of weightlifting without having to worry about getting injured. I liked to pick two or three exercises per body part, and do one body part a day. For me, it was very fast, very effective, and took only 20-25 minutes a day. I would run or do kickboxing for cardio.

When I was in school for the Navy, I was in class 13(90%)-17(10%) hours a day on the weekdays, so I would only lift weights on the weekends. Having developed a strong base using Vince Gironda's method, I moved onto a more advanced workout made popular by Skip La Cour, a champion steroid-free bodybuilder. This one was also one-2 body parts a day, but you could do however many exercises you wanted until you reached 9 sets. Each set was only 4-6 reps, but used a very heavy weight, and you rested 3-5 minutes between sets. The amount of fat lost and muscle gained was tremendous, and being able to run 3-4 days a week in the morning before breakfast helped even more.

Now, due to health reasons, I'm back to higher volume sets and reps with lower weights, and running is out of the question. Cardio now is mostly a mix of kickboxing and an exercise bike. When summer hits full swing, I'll be out in the ocean swimming again.

Speaking of summer, and in response to Sarah's post, summer is a great month to mingle, and it's easy to do and stay healthy. Hey, I almost wrote that with a straight face! What I would do when it was time to go out and have a [-]12-pack, bottle of rum, a keg of cheap beer[/-] couple of drinks, I would [-]drink heavily, especially on nights before tests or fitness runs and then make fun of everyone who did worse than me the next morning[/-] order one drink and then sip on it through the day or night. When it got warm, I'd toss it and get another one and do the same thing. It costs twice as much to drink less, but you're still not spending what your friends are, and you're not consuming as much.

125#. Yippee!

I've been watching the intake closer this week and also kicking my own butt working out. I took an hour step class (with the step on the second level) and then did my dance workout for 30 minutes after that. My legs were screamin' that night! Felt fine the next day, though.

I think aerobically I am in the best shape I have ever been, even though I've weighed less in the past. That sure does feel good to say that at 40 years old! And one of my friends commented on me losing weight the other day, which felt great!:D

128# again:( So much for staying at my new low, LOL! Sarah, I so agree - so tough to socialize and not put on weight! I sure did have a fun weekend though! Drinks and appetizers with DH Friday night, Sat went out for Thai for lunch, and Sunday went to a potluck picnic. Lots of drinking and thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

Back to salads for dinner and no alcohol during the week. I think I just have to be very good all week to undo all the damage from being "bad" on the weekend. My problem in the past is I used to let the weekend bad eating/drinking habits continue into the week. I'm hoping I've found a way to "have my cake and eat it, too", LOL. We'll see.

Alright Alan, that is just what the package said, but now that you think about it...where exactly are the hips on a haddock? haha!

Pleased to hear you find it funny as well.:D

170lb today - a 3lb loss and right at the bottom of my target range. I lost the weight as a result of the double colonoscopy I had on Friday, but it has stayed off now for 5 days, so may be I'll be lucky.

Pleased to hear you find it funny as well.:D

170lb today - a 3lb loss and right at the bottom of my target range. I lost the weight as a result of the double colonoscopy I had on Friday, but it has stayed off now for 5 days, so may be I'll be lucky.

Damn thats a rough 3lb to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom