Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good job Rambler!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #642

Well done Rambler, I'll bet getting into that suit felt great.

Art, I've been reading your discussions on the trainer. Here is my 2 cents.

We have joined a couple of YMCA's in the last few years as we've moved and that comes with a free session with a trainer to set you up on the machines and both DW and I found the sessions very useful - I do believe it is worth getting some instruction on proper use.

In January we moved to an apartment complex that has a fabulous fitness room including lots of machines plus lots of free weights and there is a resident trainer who offers a free session. DW and I took him up on this (we got 2 x 1 hour long sessions) and we decided to sign up for 8 paid sessions at $26 each per hour. We are half way through and it has been well worth it so far. Virtually all of it is free weight training. We have done 2 sessions per week for 2 weeks, each session taking 90 mins rather than an hour. He then has us doing the program he has established by ourselves for the next 4 weeks. He is always there while we are doing it ourselves, available to answer any questions. At the end of the 4 weeks we will get another 2 weeks of 2 lessons per week. We are very pleased so far. It is a pity your entry fee is so high to see how you would like it.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Well done Rambler, I'll bet getting into that suit felt great.
Sure did!
Now I have 7 or 8 suits I can wear to w*rk, instead of just 3.

Thanks for the support guys!

R
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
2/20 238
2/27 233

First couple of weeks doing Atkins really pulls it off fast. I know most of it is water, so I am drinking lots of it to stay hydrated. Hope I am fully into it by the time I leave for the US and Europe next week. (I'll be buying some protein bars in the US to take with me so that if I have to push away from the table in Europe I'll still have a snack that fits in with the Induction Phase).

I was able to fit in a suit today that I could not wear two weeks ago! Yeah!

R
Good luck,Rambler!! I weigh about the same as you, and I am trying to get down to 220.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #645

Any thoughts on this, my son has a body fat index of 12%. This new personal trainer says it should be at 7%. Does that seem too low?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #646

At the risk of being very picky, just what sort of measuring device is she using? No, he does not "need" to be at 7! Under 18% is considered normal and health, as a general rule. Performance athletes are generally under 10%.

Need to watch out for these measurements when taken with bioelectric impedence devices and such (like the fancy Tanita scales). They are not particularly accurate, but are helpful for benchmarking. The "gold standard" of course is hydrostatic weighing, but harder and harder to find. The caliper method, when done by someone trained in their use and using professional quality calipers, is very good (think of the phys ed dept at a good college). The thing you grab with both hands and it spits back a body fat percentage--ridiculous!
For the record, I used the Bod Pod at the Citadel here in Charleston, this device works like hydrostatic, but it uses air displacement instead of water displacement. If your city has one, it might be worthwhile to get an accurate reading. Our plastic inexpensive calipers were off significantly from it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #647

I didn't see what she used to measure.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #648
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds awfully low. How old is he? Does he look pudgy (can't imagine he does at 12% fat)? What's his goal, get in better shape, lose weight, compete as an athlete?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Any thoughts on this, my son has a body fat index of 12%. This new personal trainer says it should be at 7%. Does that seem too low?
Yes, it does. When I was a college athlete (track and cross country), running 50-60 miles a week, and weight training, my body fat was 10%.

I started training for marathons, and upped the mileage, more weight training, and supplements, and I got down to 6%, but I looked like an anorexic........

12% is pretty darn good for a male.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Sounds awfully low. How old is he? Does he look pudgy (can't imagine he does at 12% fat)? What's his goal, get in better shape, lose weight, compete as an athlete?
He's 16 and has recently lost a pretty fair amount of weight. I think he's pretty thin, but he thinks he needs a six pack to work as a life guard at the local water park. I've been trying to convince him that now he needs to be more concerned with beefing up and less about losing weight. He's been on Atkins pretty strictly for the last few months. The personal trainer told him he wasn't eating enough and needs 2800 calories a day. That seemed pretty high for someone trying to drop body fat.
I don't know if I should just trust these people to do what they do, or intervene?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #651

Eh, I'm a bit uneasy with this, I'll just tell you straight. Why don't you spring for him (and you) to see a nutritionist, ask your regular physician for a referral maybe.

Honestly, I really don't care for the idea of a 16 yr old on Atkins, or on 2800 calories a day diet that is just "eat more". Just kicking up the calorie count, but not specifying the right things to be eating, is a bit alarming. At that age, I'd imagine lots of fruits and vegetables and plenty of protein to be very important, along with normal physical activity of the sort he enjoys.

I lost weight a number of years ago on Atkins, and gained it back, like most folks do. It wasn't until I changed my lifestyle and my eating habits to include mostly vegetables, whole grains (beer counts, right?), quality protein and fresh, not processed foods, that I hvae been able to sustain the weight loss and gain muscle. My mother did Atkins for a number of years prior to her kidney transplant. Do I think they're related? Hell yes.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #652

I think 7% is too low, but you don't get a six-pack doing Atkins (either the kind you drink or the kind on your abs)...gotta do the exercise for that one. DD is a swimmer, and has been in intensive practice for the last 4 months...she got a very nice sixer from that.

You say he's been doing Atkins strictly for a while...how strictly? Still in Induction territory? I wouldn't want him to stay there very long at 12% BF, but more exercise (several hours a day) and more protein may be in order...Sarah's protein shake sounds pretty awesome.

R
Old 02-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Eh, I'm a bit uneasy with this, I'll just tell you straight. Why don't you spring for him (and you) to see a nutritionist, ask your regular physician for a referral maybe.

Honestly, I really don't care for the idea of a 16 yr old on Atkins, or on 2800 calories a day diet that is just "eat more". Just kicking up the calorie count, but not specifying the right things to be eating, is a bit alarming. At that age, I'd imagine lots of fruits and vegetables and plenty of protein to be very important, along with normal physical activity of the sort he enjoys.

I lost weight a number of years ago on Atkins, and gained it back, like most folks do. It wasn't until I changed my lifestyle and my eating habits to include mostly vegetables, whole grains (beer counts, right?), quality protein and fresh, not processed foods, that I hvae been able to sustain the weight loss and gain muscle. My mother did Atkins for a number of years prior to her kidney transplant. Do I think they're related? Hell yes.
I guess I need to be a lot more specific before asking questions. I didn't mean to be alarming. First off, while I'm not happy that he chose to be on Atkins, I was happy to see him taking an interest in losing weight and getting in shape, so I let it go. While the personal trainer is talking 2800 calories, she wanted him to list what he eats so she could create a proper diet for him, so it's not just eat more. He used to be on a swim team and wants to get back into it, so perhaps he'll need a huge spike in calories for energy?
Anyway, I appreciate all the responses, but I don't want to see anyone panic. I'm just gathering info from you all, so I'm not being as specific with info as I guess I should be.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #654

Sarah, wouldn't beer be counted as refined or processed grain?

R
Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #655
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
7% is at the low end of the 6-13% body fat range, but not to the point where I'd consider it whacky if your son is in his late teens or older and involved in competitive sports. If he's younger (and needs those fat reserves to support growth) that number is low, and if he's not a teen and not an athlete my first question to his trainer would be "why?"

An unsafe body fat percentage would be 5% or lower. Body functions start to shut down in the 2%-4% range.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
My everyday breakfast smoothie for the past two years is this: (Makes 2 servings of aprox 285 calories) 2 scoops vanilla protein powder, 8 oz 1% milk, 150 grams frozen peaches, 1 tbsp peanut butter, one tbsp flax meal, and one small banana. Whirl it up and it is delicious and the ingredients are easy to keep on hand. High in protein and very satisfying. You can add more PB to increase the protein.
WOW! Just tried it this morning, and it is delicious!

I found soy vanilla protein powder at Walmart (it has no cholesterol, vs. the whey protein that had quite a bit in comparison).

When I added all the calories up, our version came to 350 cal per serving. Well worth the calories...YUM! Thanks for the recipe

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #657

SimpleGirl, I bet it is good with the soy! That is a great idea!
Since we eat the soy bars every day for our snack, I don't usually add any other soy to DH's intake (worry just a bit about the effect it might have in higher amounts on men).

Glad you like it! 350 calories is good at breakfast--and will keep you from getting hungry until lunch! I never understood how people could eat cereal and not be knawing the wallpaper by 11am!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #658
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He's 16 and has recently lost a pretty fair amount of weight. I think he's pretty thin, but he thinks he needs a six pack to work as a life guard at the local water park. I've been trying to convince him that now he needs to be more concerned with beefing up and less about losing weight. He's been on Atkins pretty strictly for the last few months. The personal trainer told him he wasn't eating enough and needs 2800 calories a day. That seemed pretty high for someone trying to drop body fat.
I don't know if I should just trust these people to do what they do, or intervene?
I'm not a nutritionist, but I am fairly certain that the Atkins diet is NOT suitable for a teenager. He needs a balanced diet because he's still growing and his body needs a LOT of different things. He's got his whole life to diet and screw up his metabolism.........

Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
WOW! Just tried it this morning, and it is delicious!

I found soy vanilla protein powder at Walmart (it has no cholesterol, vs. the whey protein that had quite a bit in comparison).

When I added all the calories up, our version came to 350 cal per serving. Well worth the calories...YUM! Thanks for the recipe
I make something like that,except skim milk, sashi nuggets, vanilla yogurt and physillum husks. Of course, I include the flaxseed and some frozen or fresh fruit............

Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #660
Recycles dryer sheets

Still 138. Sigh.