Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #1221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happy New Year and good luck with your health programs, everyone. I think of one's own health maintenance as a critical part of a FIRE investment plan.

I need to get down to 133 pounds from 141, a lifetime high weight. I realize this is not a huge amount of excess weight, and middle age is supposed to be a time when we can let go a little at last; but my clothes are tight; feet ache; I don't feel right at all. Plus, the weight has come on rather quickly and I want to head this trend off at the pass.

I am a stress eater (sweets). Also, I don't seem to need the same number of calories I used to, even though I exercise regularly. When I have absorbed a lot of stress, I head straight for the chocolate, cookies, and/or ice cream, and once I get started it's hard to stop! I think it will help me stay on track if I "have" to report in to the forum every so often and show progress.

Two things that have been helpful in the past: Diet iced tea mix (mix up a big water-bottle full of it and drink it all day at work) and those little baby carrots that come in a bag. I find the baby carrots more satisfying and filling than other vegetables, or even fruit.

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I find the baby carrots more satisfying and filling than other vegetables, or even fruit.

Amethyst
I ate a bunch of them last night

Welcome to the thread.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #1223

12/31/2008 195.8
01/07/2009 196.4 (with leg cast)
Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #1224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
127#. Will be gone next week - going home to visit family over New Year's. Hopefully I'll be able to find a place to work out when I'm there. I'm sure there will be tons of food around!
128# Glad to have only gained one pound over the past 2 wks!

This is a whole 5# lighter than last year at this time (although total weight loss from all-time high is 11#).

That is a huge accomplishment, considering every year in January since 2004 I have been either heavier or the same weight. We have been tracking our weight for several years now in excel. Here's my summary:

January
2009 128#
2008 133#
2007 134#
2006 132#
2005 133#
2004 137#
2003 128#
2002 131#

Now, if I can just keep my weight down (and maybe, maybe lose another 5#?) by January 2010, that will really be something. I know it's not a lot of weight to lose, but it's really hard to keep those extra 5 or 10# off over the long term.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #1225
Full time employment: Posting here.

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
(snip ...)
11/12: 195.2 17.1%
11/19: 195.0 17.0%
11/26: 195.6 17.1%
12/03: 198.2 17.8%
12/10: 196.6 16.8%
12/17: 197.6 16.5%
1/07/09: 200.6 17.9%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Not so good. Between the holidays and a broken toe, I've been eating too much and not exercising enough. I broke the toe 9 days ago, and my walk is still a limp -- putting weight on the ball of my foot is not comfortable.

I've got major shoulder surgery scheduled for Jan 19. I probably won't be able to work out much between now and then because of my toe. And then I'll be in a sling for at least six weeks. Hopefully at that point I can walk and use a stationary bike to prevent myself from completely falling apart.

I really wouldn't be terribly surprised if I gain another 10 pounds before this saga is over. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain my weight until I can start losing it again once I can really get going with my martial arts training again.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #1226

Sounds like everyone is in the wars at the moment suffering all kinds of injury. Remember even if you can not exercise to the level you would like, we can all control what goes into our mouth.

Finally I am seeing a loss. I restarted my weigh ins late December and since that time I am now down 3.5lbs.

Dec 27 08 68.2 kgs (150.04 lbs)
Jan 7 09 66.6 kgs (146.52 lbs)

Goal: 60kgs (132lbs) - by the end of February.

I'm ecstatic as I have been working so hard. I signed up for the National Body Challenge on Discovery Health last week so I have been logging everything that I eat. One of my big weaknesses is Rubio's mexican food, but I was shocked when I saw how many calories were in my favourite burriot and chips - just about my entire daily allowance. I have done at least 30 minutes of cardio every day for 2009, some days I have done as much as 90 minutes. I've also been doing weights with my trainer 3 days a week. So here's hoping this is just the start of the downward trend on my weight.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Remember even if you can not exercise to the level you would like, we can all control what goes into our mouth.
Good if it works for you. Takes more willpower than I've got.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Good if it works for you. Takes more willpower than I've got.
Umm well obviously it's something I say rather than do or I wouldn't have a butt the size of a small car and be flogging myself at the gym every day, LOL. However, I am trying to convince myself that everything can be solved by the power of positive thinking rather than getting down on myself and saying there is nothing I can do as I ram another bag of Doritos down my gullet as I have been guilty of previously.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #1229
Moderator Emeritus

Not even DH knows what I weigh (vanity, I know--maybe I'll tell him when I'm at 141 or 156 ) so I'm using the lost amounts--

12/31/08: Down 2.5 toward my 25 lb. realistic goal
1/7/08: Down 4.5 total toward my 25 lb. realistic goal

Kronk, that's great that you made it through the holidays with only a small gain (and not a big one).

Mmm, Doritos--must be strong!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #1230

I weigh in at 127 lbs this morning. I seem to be making it my job to eat the rest of the Christmas cookies and fudge and Sun Chips. I have not been exercising at all for quite some time. I really need to start doing a better job at food selections and exercise.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Umm well obviously it's something I say rather than do or I wouldn't have a butt the size of a small car and be flogging myself at the gym every day, LOL. However, I am trying to convince myself that everything can be solved by the power of positive thinking rather than getting down on myself and saying there is nothing I can do as I ram another bag of Doritos down my gullet as I have been guilty of previously.
My problem is that I rely on exercise to maintain my weight, much more so than my diet. This inactivity probably decreases my caloric expenditure by 600 or so calories per day. It is really hard to change my diet by that much when I still get really hungry. It's possible, but I'm not mentally ready to go through that level of discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Kronk, that's great that you made it through the holidays with only a small gain (and not a big one).
Heh. Check my history and I'm up 10 pounds since my low of 2008. Not good.

BTW, TromboneAl is wrong. There are lots of things that taste better than being thin feels.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #1232

163 today.
I have a new challenge from the health nut boss that is brilliant in its simplicity.

As some of you know, I lost more than 60 lbs over the last few years and have now gained back 20 of them (sigh). The boss has been paying for my personal trainer 2x week for the last few years and decided that I needed some carrot/stick to get this weight off and actually keep it off.

So here's the deal: I have until the end of March to get below 146. Then I have to weigh in at the end of each month under 146. If I am not under that, then I have to pay for the trainer for the next two months. If I am under 146, then he will continue paying for the trainer and pay for the dance classes that I take 2x a week. A carrot and stick, indeed! It is the perfect motivation for a cheapskate like me! So I can't just lose the weight--I have to keep it off!

So I have some extra compelling reasons to drive past the Mexican restaurant and skip that beer at dinner. (and not stuff that bag of Doritos in my face--what is it, crack powder sprinkled on the top of those things?)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #1233

Sarah, what a great motivator. Wish I could find a boss like that. The good news is you have done it before so you can do it again. You know what your problem is, so get too it.

Kronk, I feel for you. Like you, I love food. For the life of me I will never be able to understand anorexia as there is nothing in this world that puts me off food. I guess with a broken toe and a sore shoulder there is not really a lot of exercise options open to you besides doing abs work. Don't beat yourself up over this as you do have good body fat composition which is a big head start. Maybe you should spend your time planning what your exercise program is going to be after your rehab your shoulder.

Bestwife, you have lost 2lbs in a week which is a good job.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #1234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I seem to be making it my job to eat the rest of the Christmas cookies and fudge and Sun Chips. I have not been exercising at all for quite some time. I really need to start doing a better job at food selections and exercise.
When I read this I thought I'd already posted.

I've had a horrible holiday period, weight-wise (great otherwise). My birthday, Christmas, and DWs birthday in less than 3 weeks. I completely stopped exercising, and also stopped exercising any control. I made a huge batch of my favorite dessert of all (gingerbread), and then ate a ton of it. Along with a lot of eating out and a lot of big meals at home.

I finally weighed myslf, and will add the caveat of it being a different scale than I normally use. However, I nearly plotzed when I saw 242 lbs. That's more than I weighed when I started all this back in July! That would be a 19 lb weight gain in 2 1/2 weeks. Added to that I tested my blood sugar and the meter told me I was dead.

This has thrown me into a deep depression, but I'm not going to stay there. Back to the reasonable diet for the last 2 days. My blood sugar has already dropped significantly. I'm not going to weigh myself until next Wed. I'm hoping a lot of that weight was water weight from all the salty restaurant food and prepared food (chipotle meatballs and fried crabcakes from Costco for example). I have decided that since the weather is stopping me from walking these days I'm going to try jumping rope, see if I can work up to 30 mins/day. I've really got no choice. To quit trying is to get old before my time. I've got too much to do in my life to be a fat old white guy. But it sucks that you can work hard for 5 months and blow all those gains in 3 weeks.

Anyway, thanks and good luck to the rest of you. You inspire me to not quit.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #1235

My intermediate goal is to lose 13.8 pounds , five pounds above my final goal.

Listing how much I have to lose to get to my intermediate goal.
12/5/08 13.8
12/10/08 12.8
12/17/08 12.7
12/24/08 11
12/31/08 12.6
1/4/09 11.6

I let myself go over the holidays (ate some goodies) but now I've climbed back on the horse of healthy eating. It would have been even worse but I bought a short-term membership at the fanciest gym in town over the holidays. They have some exercise bikes with interactive screens in front, so you can race the guy next to you, yourself from the last race, and/or a pace rider whose speed you set. I've never had so much fun or worked so hard on a fake bicycle, because the animation on the screen is realistic enough that I felt like I was in the scene, almost an out-of-body experience! They're called "espresso bikes". I'm lobbying my gym to buy some but they probably can't afford it.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
But it sucks that you can work hard for 5 months and blow all those gains in 3 weeks.
You haven't blown it all. Just think what you would weigh if you hadn't been working on it all this time!
I expect some of your recent gain will come right off in a few days as your body readjusts to healthy eating.
Don't beat yourself up. Welcome to the human race.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #1237
Give me a forum ...

177.5 Nov 2008
180.5 Dec 26, 2008
a few holiday parties got me!

181 Dec 31, 2008 - weight is stablized
179 Jan 7, 2009 - yay - portion control rules!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #1238
Give me a forum ...

"Welcome to the human race..." is one of my favorite expressions, it covers so many situations

Goal numbers (with clothes on, end of day): 133 (same as I weighed at age 20). Human race notwithstanding, somehow I can't accept the notion that I "must" expect a few extra pounds with the years.

I also want my feet not to hurt when I get out of bed (which has only started since my weight went over 137 w/o clothes) and be able to see my abs (I know they are still in there somewhere; I do lots of crunches)

Current: 141 lbs, sorta that "mature" look (Yeah, I wanna look as immature as I feel!)

For quite a while, I have been eating candy, cookies, or ice cream each day--not monster gobs, but not dainty bites either. The only reason I don't weigh a lot more is that I do exercise regularly. I feel addicted to sweets and it worries me. There is Type 2 diabetes in my immediate family, and I don't want to encourage it to attack me.

Will report back next Weds...good luck, everyone...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #1239

6' 1" Target range 170 - 175.

Highest was 210lb (2002)

10/01 - 174.5
10/08 - 176
10/15 - 176.5
10/22 - 175
10/29 - away
11/5 – 180
11/12 – 176.5
11/19 & 11/26 - away on business & vacation
12/3 - 177
12/10 -178.5
12/17 - 176.5
1/7 - 180

2 weeks away having fun put 3.5 lbs onto my middle

Now comes the hard bit......
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #1240

Harley, I thought you were me for a minute! The birthdays and Christmas all together, the binging, the 19 lbs...everything but the blood sugar.

I swear, we'll all get back on track and this will just be a blip in the past. Keep the faith my friend, and get back to the exercise and what I just started doing again: write down everything you eat!

I just signed up for belly dancing, too. Four classes, every Sunday starting next week. That will bring my total up to 5 days a week of structured exercise.

Another thing besides jump rope is good old fashioned jumping jacks--try them with crossing your feet instead of just in and out. It is a great workout starter to do fifty!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote