It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like everyone is in the wars at the moment suffering all kinds of injury. Remember even if you can not exercise to the level you would like, we can all control what goes into our mouth.

Finally I am seeing a loss. I restarted my weigh ins late December and since that time I am now down 3.5lbs.

Dec 27 08 68.2 kgs (150.04 lbs)
Jan 7 09 66.6 kgs (146.52 lbs)

Goal: 60kgs (132lbs) - by the end of February.

I'm ecstatic as I have been working so hard. I signed up for the National Body Challenge on Discovery Health last week so I have been logging everything that I eat. One of my big weaknesses is Rubio's mexican food, but I was shocked when I saw how many calories were in my favourite burriot and chips - just about my entire daily allowance. I have done at least 30 minutes of cardio every day for 2009, some days I have done as much as 90 minutes. I've also been doing weights with my trainer 3 days a week. So here's hoping this is just the start of the downward trend on my weight.

Good if it works for you. Takes more willpower than I've got.

Umm well obviously it's something I say rather than do or I wouldn't have a butt the size of a small car and be flogging myself at the gym every day, LOL. However, I am trying to convince myself that everything can be solved by the power of positive thinking rather than getting down on myself and saying there is nothing I can do as I ram another bag of Doritos down my gullet as I have been guilty of previously.

Not even DH knows what I weigh (vanity, I know--maybe I'll tell him when I'm at 141 or 156 :) ) so I'm using the lost amounts--

12/31/08: Down 2.5 toward my 25 lb. realistic goal
1/7/08: Down 4.5 total toward my 25 lb. realistic goal

Kronk, that's great that you made it through the holidays with only a small gain (and not a big one).

Mmm, Doritos--must be strong!

I weigh in at 127 lbs this morning. I seem to be making it my job to eat the rest of the Christmas cookies and fudge and Sun Chips. I have not been exercising at all for quite some time. I really need to start doing a better job at food selections and exercise.

Umm well obviously it's something I say rather than do or I wouldn't have a butt the size of a small car and be flogging myself at the gym every day, LOL. However, I am trying to convince myself that everything can be solved by the power of positive thinking rather than getting down on myself and saying there is nothing I can do as I ram another bag of Doritos down my gullet as I have been guilty of previously.

My problem is that I rely on exercise to maintain my weight, much more so than my diet. This inactivity probably decreases my caloric expenditure by 600 or so calories per day. It is really hard to change my diet by that much when I still get really hungry. It's possible, but I'm not mentally ready to go through that level of discipline.

Kronk, that's great that you made it through the holidays with only a small gain (and not a big one).

Heh. Check my history and I'm up 10 pounds since my low of 2008. Not good.

BTW, TromboneAl is wrong. There are lots of things that taste better than being thin feels.;)

163 today.
I have a new challenge from the health nut boss that is brilliant in its simplicity.

As some of you know, I lost more than 60 lbs over the last few years and have now gained back 20 of them (sigh). The boss has been paying for my personal trainer 2x week for the last few years and decided that I needed some carrot/stick to get this weight off and actually keep it off.

So here's the deal: I have until the end of March to get below 146. Then I have to weigh in at the end of each month under 146. If I am not under that, then I have to pay for the trainer for the next two months. If I am under 146, then he will continue paying for the trainer and pay for the dance classes that I take 2x a week. A carrot and stick, indeed! It is the perfect motivation for a cheapskate like me! So I can't just lose the weight--I have to keep it off!

So I have some extra compelling reasons to drive past the Mexican restaurant and skip that beer at dinner. (and not stuff that bag of Doritos in my face--what is it, crack powder sprinkled on the top of those things?)
:)

Sarah, what a great motivator. Wish I could find a boss like that. The good news is you have done it before so you can do it again. You know what your problem is, so get too it.

Kronk, I feel for you. Like you, I love food. For the life of me I will never be able to understand anorexia as there is nothing in this world that puts me off food. I guess with a broken toe and a sore shoulder there is not really a lot of exercise options open to you besides doing abs work. Don't beat yourself up over this as you do have good body fat composition which is a big head start. Maybe you should spend your time planning what your exercise program is going to be after your rehab your shoulder.

Bestwife, you have lost 2lbs in a week which is a good job.

I seem to be making it my job to eat the rest of the Christmas cookies and fudge and Sun Chips. I have not been exercising at all for quite some time. I really need to start doing a better job at food selections and exercise.

When I read this I thought I'd already posted. ;)

I've had a horrible holiday period, weight-wise (great otherwise). My birthday, Christmas, and DWs birthday in less than 3 weeks. I completely stopped exercising, and also stopped exercising any control. I made a huge batch of my favorite dessert of all (gingerbread), and then ate a ton of it. Along with a lot of eating out and a lot of big meals at home.

I finally weighed myslf, and will add the caveat of it being a different scale than I normally use. However, I nearly plotzed when I saw 242 lbs. That's more than I weighed when I started all this back in July! That would be a 19 lb weight gain in 2 1/2 weeks. Added to that I tested my blood sugar and the meter told me I was dead. :duh:

This has thrown me into a deep depression, but I'm not going to stay there. Back to the reasonable diet for the last 2 days. My blood sugar has already dropped significantly. I'm not going to weigh myself until next Wed. I'm hoping a lot of that weight was water weight from all the salty restaurant food and prepared food (chipotle meatballs and fried crabcakes from Costco for example). I have decided that since the weather is stopping me from walking these days I'm going to try jumping rope, see if I can work up to 30 mins/day. I've really got no choice. To quit trying is to get old before my time. I've got too much to do in my life to be a fat old white guy. But it sucks that you can work hard for 5 months and blow all those gains in 3 weeks. :rant:

Anyway, thanks and good luck to the rest of you. You inspire me to not quit.

My intermediate goal is to lose 13.8 pounds , five pounds above my final goal.

Listing how much I have to lose to get to my intermediate goal.
12/5/08 13.8
12/10/08 12.8
12/17/08 12.7
12/24/08 11
12/31/08 12.6
1/4/09 11.6

I let myself go over the holidays (ate some goodies) but now I've climbed back on the horse of healthy eating. It would have been even worse but I bought a short-term membership at the fanciest gym in town over the holidays. They have some exercise bikes with interactive screens in front, so you can race the guy next to you, yourself from the last race, and/or a pace rider whose speed you set. I've never had so much fun or worked so hard on a fake bicycle, because the animation on the screen is realistic enough that I felt like I was in the scene, almost an out-of-body experience! They're called "espresso bikes". I'm lobbying my gym to buy some but they probably can't afford it.

But it sucks that you can work hard for 5 months and blow all those gains in 3 weeks. :rant:

You haven't blown it all. Just think what you would weigh if you hadn't been working on it all this time!
I expect some of your recent gain will come right off in a few days as your body readjusts to healthy eating.
Don't beat yourself up. Welcome to the human race.

177.5 Nov 2008
180.5 Dec 26, 2008
a few holiday parties got me! :p

181 Dec 31, 2008 - weight is stablized :D
179 Jan 7, 2009 - yay - portion control rules!!!

"Welcome to the human race..." is one of my favorite expressions, it covers so many situations ;)

Goal numbers (with clothes on, end of day): 133 (same as I weighed at age 20). Human race notwithstanding, somehow I can't accept the notion that I "must" expect a few extra pounds with the years.

I also want my feet not to hurt when I get out of bed (which has only started since my weight went over 137 w/o clothes) and be able to see my abs (I know they are still in there somewhere; I do lots of crunches)

Current: 141 lbs, sorta that "mature" look ;) (Yeah, I wanna look as immature as I feel!)

For quite a while, I have been eating candy, cookies, or ice cream each day--not monster gobs, but not dainty bites either. The only reason I don't weigh a lot more is that I do exercise regularly. I feel addicted to sweets and it worries me. There is Type 2 diabetes in my immediate family, and I don't want to encourage it to attack me.

Will report back next Weds...good luck, everyone...

6' 1" Target range 170 - 175.

Highest was 210lb (2002)

10/01 - 174.5
10/08 - 176
10/15 - 176.5
10/22 - 175
10/29 - away
11/5 – 180
11/12 – 176.5
11/19 & 11/26 - away on business & vacation
12/3 - 177
12/10 -178.5
12/17 - 176.5
1/7 - 180

2 weeks away having fun put 3.5 lbs onto my middle :(

Now comes the hard bit......

Harley, I thought you were me for a minute! The birthdays and Christmas all together, the binging, the 19 lbs...everything but the blood sugar. ;)

I swear, we'll all get back on track and this will just be a blip in the past. Keep the faith my friend, and get back to the exercise and what I just started doing again: write down everything you eat!

I just signed up for belly dancing, too. Four classes, every Sunday starting next week. That will bring my total up to 5 days a week of structured exercise.

Another thing besides jump rope is good old fashioned jumping jacks--try them with crossing your feet instead of just in and out. It is a great workout starter to do fifty!

Harley, any chance you could buy a treadmill for home use? There are always a ton for sale on Craigslist. I have one and have to say it is a lifesaver. We have a room set up with a treadmill, a stationary trainer where DH and I can swap out our bikes and a TV and DVR to distract us from how boring it can be. It enables me to stay on track with my cardio, if I don't have to take the time to go somewhere to do the exercise I am more likely to do it.

Alan 3.5lbs over two weeks is not that bad. Given your track record that will be gone in less than 2 weeks.

Hi All,

I've rarely posted on this thread. Yet, I read it regularly. I've been Type II for 17+ years. I've always worked out pretty regularly and pretty hard. However, I was really starting to lose the battle with diabetes. Anyway, after reading this thread and a few other websites I somehow got very motivated to taking my fitness level to the next level. Back in Sept. I set a goal to try a triathlon this year (2009). So far, I've lost 25lbs (trying to lose another 10lbs before showtime, LOL). I bike, run and swim everyday. I've reduced my weightlifting to 2-3 times a week.

When I started, I couldn't run more than a mile (my knees and ankles). I've relearned how to run and I'm up to 10 miles. I couldn't swim (I would completely panic once my head was in the water) I'm now swimming fairly good (still a long ways to go). My biking has greatly improved as well.

The best news, my Type II has virtually disappeared (for now). I'm taking less than a 1/3 the meds I was taking for years.

I am rooting for all of you and your individual battles. I just wanted to share my progress (maybe brag a small amount, LOL).

Thank you for letting me and good luck.

Alan 3.5lbs over two weeks is not that bad. Given your track record that will be gone in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement DM, just what I need. This week has been tough as I have been working 10 hr days, but today (Friday) I got away at lunchtime and DW and I went for a 90 minute walk - first exercise of the week, but I have been trying to eat better. 180 is the trigger point after which I force myself to "journal" every day, weight-watcher style, recording everything I eat. I haven't had to do this for many many months and just the thought of doing it is usually a good enough incentive.

Rhonda,

Welcome to the thread. Boy oh boy, haven't you been doing well, your story is fabulous. Please do post regularly and keep us up to date on your progress towards the triathlon and ongoing fitness level.

Rhonda, welcome and congrats on your progress. I'm type II too, but have only been diagnosed for about 3 years. It's great to hear that even after an extended period you can control the disease. So far I haven't needed drugs, and I'm hoping to keep it that way. Keep us informed. I really like to hear the success stories.

I lost 45 pounds or so since May of last year.....goal of 20 more by May. I have been adding more weights and push up and increasing my incline bike time since it appears that I have slowed down in my weight loss...Its been a trip since I havent been able to lose any weight for over 10 years with some pituitary problems....

Also get to pull out some cloths from right before getting diagnosed....My family was starting to make fun of me "cinching" my big boy pants...:p

I lost 45 pounds or so since May of last year.....goal of 20 more by May. I have been adding more weights and push up and increasing my incline bike time since it appears that I have slowed down in my weight loss...Its been a trip since I havent been able to lose any weight for over 10 years with some pituitary problems....

Also get to pull out some cloths from right before getting diagnosed....My family was starting to make fun of me "cinching" my big boy pants...:p

Well done Maddy. 4lb/month for the next 5 months is a good target, please do keep us informed. Looks like you have been averaging ~6lb/month for about 8 months now - superb.

Nice, Maddy! And Rhonda, you are an inspiration--that's quite the goal, a triathlon! You sound very committed and I'm sure you'll do it!

Good job Rhonda, very inspirational.

Between thnaksgiving and new years I gained back most of what it took months to lose...but I had very little exercise or options for exercise for the past three weeks while on home leave. For a week before I left, I was sick and couldn't do much either. Back in the saddle tomorrow morning at the gym, maybe most of the gain will turn out to have been temporary. Next home leave though, I think I have to buy a treadmill...I need to be able to do more than "mall walking" while DW shops.

R

Hi All,

I've rarely posted on this thread. Yet, I read it regularly. I've been Type II for 17+ years. I've always worked out pretty regularly and pretty hard. However, I was really starting to lose the battle with diabetes. Anyway, after reading this thread and a few other websites I somehow got very motivated to taking my fitness level to the next level. Back in Sept. I set a goal to try a triathlon this year (2009). So far, I've lost 25lbs (trying to lose another 10lbs before showtime, LOL). I bike, run and swim everyday. I've reduced my weightlifting to 2-3 times a week.

When I started, I couldn't run more than a mile (my knees and ankles). I've relearned how to run and I'm up to 10 miles. I couldn't swim (I would completely panic once my head was in the water) I'm now swimming fairly good (still a long ways to go). My biking has greatly improved as well.

The best news, my Type II has virtually disappeared (for now). I'm taking less than a 1/3 the meds I was taking for years.

I am rooting for all of you and your individual battles. I just wanted to share my progress (maybe brag a small amount, LOL).

Thank you for letting me and good luck.
Rhonda, Are you also on the RV forums?

No, I'm not. Should I be ??

Two years ago we rented an RV and took our two teenagers (daughter & son) and Golden Retreiver to the Sun Bowl. We took two weeks. Not sure if the kids would agree, but DW and I had a blast. Mind you, it took two days for the Golden to get over his car sickness. But after that even he had a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom