It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!! :)
Cruises are so tough - it is a constant "all you can eat" attraction...uggh! You are definitely smart to try and lose weight before going and to exercise while on the cruise...
...Otherwise, I didn't restrain myself much. :blush:
I've done the math...:LOL:
We will be active all day at 10 ports of call. 2 days at sea.
We have 5/10 days of getting up super early for excursions to ancient ruins, so I've decided I'm going to limit myself to continental (fruit and yogurt and some bread) breakfast on those days.
10 lunches are included in the onshore excursions with light to medium activity following.
So I have 7 breakfasts and 12 dinners to indulge myself on. And of course a midnight buffet may just have to sneak itself in there. :rolleyes:
My thinking is
1. I weight a few lbs less than I was 6 months ago,
2. I rarely eat out,
3. I am doing a trip like this once in a lifetime, and
4. if I gain a little weight, oh well. I have lots of time to w*rk it back off.

How's that plan sound ?:D

I am 123.4 lbs. I guess I need to start keeping track, so I don't have to go back to see what I have been weighing. I have not been dieting or working out. I do try to watch what I eat and we walk some, but not consistently. I definitely need to do a better job at exercising. My short term goal is 115 lbs.

Sarah, I tried one Zumba class and thought that it was a lot of fun. I decided to sign up for the Zumba class through OLLI, where you pay one price for the year and can take as many classes as you want through the progam. Anyway, the class was filled and I did not get to take it through them. I heard that the class is very popular. I kept thinking that I should go to another place in town, but never got around to it. I need to get myself motivated. That Dance Track or whatever it was called above, looks like it would be a lot of fun too.

Freebird, that sounds like a good plan. A cruise is not a place to diet. You don't do it that often and you want to enjoy yourself.

Simple Girl, you did a fantastic job on the cruise.

Way to go to several of you guys. You are doing a great job. I need to get motivated.

Holding steady for awhile. Oh well....

4 Oct 2008 230 (Pre-retirement; All-time high)
28 Jan 2009 220
4 Feb 2009 220
11 Feb 2009 219.5
18 Feb 2009 219
25 Feb 2009 - Vacation
4 Mar 2009 - 219
11 Mar 2009 - 218.5
18 Mar 2009 - Vacation
25 Mar 2009 - 218.5
1 Apr 2009 - 217.5
8 Apr 2009 - 215
11 Apr 2009 - 211.5
22 Apr 2009 - 211.5
29 Apr 2009 - 211.5
6 May 2009 - 210
13 May 2009 - 209.5
20 May 2009 - 210
28 May - 209.5

First Goal Met: 215 - 8 Apr 2009
Second Goal Met: 210 - 6 May 2009

Short Term Goal 200
Final Goal 140

Holding steady for awhile. Oh well....

4 Oct 2008 230 (Pre-retirement; All-time high)
28 May - 209.5

First Goal Met: 215 - 8 Apr 2009
Second Goal Met: 210 - 6 May 2009

Short Term Goal 200
Final Goal 140
What I see is an overall loss of 20.5 lbs, in spite of 2 vacations in the mix.
I'd say that calls for a round of thundering :clap::clap::clap::clap:

What I see is an overall loss of 20.5 lbs, in spite of 2 vacations in the mix.
I'd say that calls for a round of thundering :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you! I want a sustainable loss so I know that slow and steady isn't bad. It's just not as fun as those weeks when 2 lbs disappear.

I've a cruise later this summer and I'm glad to know others have managed that too.

I've done the math...:LOL:
We will be active all day at 10 ports of call. 2 days at sea.
We have 5/10 days of getting up super early for excursions to ancient ruins, so I've decided I'm going to limit myself to continental (fruit and yogurt and some bread) breakfast on those days.
10 lunches are included in the onshore excursions with light to medium activity following.
So I have 7 breakfasts and 12 dinners to indulge myself on. And of course a midnight buffet may just have to sneak itself in there. :rolleyes:
My thinking is
1. I weight a few lbs less than I was 6 months ago,
2. I rarely eat out,
3. I am doing a trip like this once in a lifetime, and
4. if I gain a little weight, oh well. I have lots of time to w*rk it back off.

How's that plan sound ?:D

Perfect! Your math and reasoning appear completely sound...definitely have fun on the trip of a lifetime!!!!

BTW, did you say where you are going?

Agree that you've done great, NRFP! I'm impressed. Also, on our last cruise three years ago, I noticed the portions were not "American-sized"--you could have as many as you wanted but each portion was smaller than we'd see in a restaurant, and more often than not we were satisfied with them and none of us gained weight (shocking to me!).

My SIL was bemoaning how slowly she is losing weight compared to 15 years ago when she did a liquid diet, but acknowledged that slow weight loss shows you've been able to change your lifestyle and can keep going or maintaining (unlike what happened when the liquid diet stopped).

Agree that you've done great, NRFP! I'm impressed. Also, on our last cruise three years ago, I noticed the portions were not "American-sized"--you could have as many as you wanted but each portion was smaller than we'd see in a restaurant, and more often than not we were satisfied with them and none of us gained weight (shocking to me!).

I agree, NRFP, way to go!

Bestwife, you are so right about the portions being smaller than normal restaurant servings. That is, of course, at dinner. If you go to the buffet for lunch and breakfast, it is soooooooo easy to overdo!!!! Having a few breakfasts and lunches in the dining room would likely help contain the calories better.

Also, one night I had the low calorie meal that was offered, but I didn't have the restraint to do so any other night.:whistle: It is a cruise afterall...have to indulge some, for sure! It's all about doing it in moderation, if you can.

Perfect! Your math and reasoning appear completely sound...definitely have fun on the trip of a lifetime!!!!

BTW, did you say where you are going?
I wanted to wait until someone dragged it out of me. :whistle:
OK, OK...I'll confess.:LOL:
Our pre-marriage ceremony honeymoon...note we're doing all this in reverse order.
12 day Grand Mediterranean, balcony room, excursions in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco.
It took us over a year to save up for it, especially when gas was $4 per gallon last year. :nonono:

I agree, NRFP, way to go!

Bestwife, you are so right about the portions being smaller than normal restaurant servings. That is, of course, at dinner. If you go to the buffet for lunch and breakfast, it is soooooooo easy to overdo!!!! Having a few breakfasts and lunches in the dining room would likely help contain the calories better.

Also, one night I had the low calorie meal that was offered, but I didn't have the restraint to do so any other night.:whistle: It is a cruise afterall...have to indulge some, for sure! It's all about doing it in moderation, if you can.

I usually dont control myself on vacations. I was gone for 21 days last time. Put on 8lbs :LOL: Just finally got it all off. Oh well it was worth it :D

I usually dont control myself on vacations. I was gone for 21 days last time. Put on 8lbs :LOL: Just finally got it all off. Oh well it was worth it :D
8 lbs over 3 weeks on vacation, constantly eating out, is actually not so bad.
Even better that you w*rked it all off before it became 10 lbs, which can turn into...you all know the rest of this sentence. :nonono:

I tend to eat a steady diet of 1200 calories a day and that's not 1200 calories of crap either. I do not believe it is water retention or salt as that does not change from day to day as I don't eat anything heavy in salt. Popcorn is never on my diet and I really don't eat much rubbish food at all. I am lucky as being a foreigner I don't really like all the American goodies - donuts leave a lot to be desired, hate American chocolate, don't eat any cakes or cream because they are too sweet, I don't even eat a lot of bread because it tastes so bad and I don't eat American sausages or bacon because it is too fatty. One of my favourite foods is potato chips but I also don't eat the American version of these because they are so untasty to me. So the only time I consume these is if I make a trip to the British store to stock up.

What concerns me is how my weight is sky-rocketing. When we moved recently, over an 8 week period I put on 8lbs, which is a lot when you consider I am only 5'4" and about 160 lbs. Earlier this year I conducted an experiment to see what it would take me to lose. I stuck rigidly to 1000-1200 calories a day and worked out 2 hours a day, and over a 14 day period I managed to lose 3 lbs.

I went to my Dr and she was not concerned as she said possibly this is the way I am meant to be. It does concern me as over the past 15 years I have gained 42lbs which no signs that it is levelling off. Even worse most of it is fat which makes me vulnerable to heart attack and diabetes which runs in my family. To look at me you probably would not say I look overweight, however I do fall into overweight with my BMI and with body fat of 30% I think there is some issue.

My plan of action is to start a food diary for the month of June. I am also signing up for boot camp which is 5 days a week for 4 weeks in June. I will also run my 5k 3 times a week. If there is no change I will have to go to the Dr to find out what is going on. I do need to find a new Dr as we moved 500 miles so it's something I should do anywhere.

I tend to eat a steady diet of 1200 calories a day and that's not 1200 calories of crap either.

What concerns me is how my weight is sky-rocketing. When we moved recently, over an 8 week period I put on 8lbs, which is a lot when you consider I am only 5'4" and about 160 lbs. Earlier this year I conducted an experiment to see what it would take me to lose. I stuck rigidly to 1000-1200 calories a day and worked out 2 hours a day, and over a 14 day period I managed to lose 3 lbs.

I went to my Dr and she was not concerned as she said possibly this is the way I am meant to be. It does concern me as over the past 15 years I have gained 42lbs which no signs that it is levelling off. Even worse most of it is fat which makes me vulnerable to heart attack and diabetes which runs in my family. To look at me you probably would not say I look overweight, however I do fall into overweight with my BMI and with body fat of 30% I think there is some issue.

My plan of action is to start a food diary for the month of June. I am also signing up for boot camp which is 5 days a week for 4 weeks in June. I will also run my 5k 3 times a week. If there is no change I will have to go to the Dr to find out what is going on. I do need to find a new Dr as we moved 500 miles so it's something I should do anywhere.

DM, you and I are the same height (I'm almost 5'4") and roughly the same age. So we should have about the same caloric needs. I would be as concerned as you are about that weight gain and the significant difficulty you are having losing weight. I would definitely check with your doctor to make sure nothing medical is going on like hypothryroidism.

If nothing medical is awry, then my thoughts are that at 1200 calories your body is likely going into starvation mode and your metabolic rate has dropped (your body is trying to conserve calories/energy). I read somewhere not to go below 1300 calories for very long (for our height), as this could happen.

Last year I lost weight on about 1400 calories while exercising vigorously 3-4 days per week. It was slow (1# some weeks, other weeks no weight loss), but it did happen. So 3# over 2 wks really isn't bad at all. It's just that you were dieting and exercising to the extreme to achieve that.

Recently I have overindulged and put some, but not all of the weight back on. I should be able to maintain my weight in the 120's with about 1500-1800 cal per day (I think), but obviously I went over that too many days in a row! When you are short, you have to eat less than others. That really stinks but it is a fact that I am working on accepting. :(

That boot camp sounds pretty intense! And you plan to run 5K 3x a week on top of it? Wow. Now that sure is motivated!!!

Hang in there DM! :)

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
(snip ...)
11/12: 195.2 17.1%
12/03: 198.2 17.8%
1/07: 200.6 17.9%
2/04: 199.4 18.4%
3/04: 201.8 17.7%
3/11: 201.2 17.3%
3/18: 202.0 18.0%
3/25: 196.8 17.3% *diet week
4/01: 198.2 17.3%
4/08: 198.4 17.0%
4/15: 200.8 17.3%
4/22: 194.6 16.6% *diet week
4/29: 197.2 16.8%
5/06: 197.4 16.7%
5/13: 198.4 17.4%
5/20: 198.8 17.2%
5/27: 200.0 18.2%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%
Highest weight: 260 (May 2001)
Lowest weight: 190 (June 2007)

Better late than never. As expected, I ate a lot of food over the memorial day weekend. My fat percentage was much lower today, though the weight was more or less steady.

Yesterday I took down the guest bed and turned the former guest bedroom into a workout room. Got a TV/DVD in there, weight bench, hex dumbells from 5-40 pounds, chin up bar, resistance bands. Need to reorganize things a bit to get the exercise bike in there. But, see, this reduces the number of excuses I can come up with. :cool:

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a set of e-books, Fat Loss Troubleshoot-Bodybuilding Diet-Metabolism Fast. Not exactly frugal for $77, but I'd heard some good things about it. Much of the information was stuff I knew, but there was enough new stuff as well that I was glad I read it. One of the e-books focuses on metabolic issues (Metabolic Repair Manual). That one focuses on the exact issues that DangerMouse is having -- low caloric intake with little to no weight loss. Something does seem fishy with a 1200 calorie diet.

Seems like I have been operating under out of date advice and 1200 calories is too low for my height. Thanks to SG, I have been directed to a website that has shown I need to increase my intake.

So I'm going to start consuming more calories (which isn't actually that much of a hardship) and hopefully that combined with my workouts will see a change over the next month.

All Time High 237 2007

06-16 223 32.7 bmi
06-18 221 31.7
06-25 220.5 31.6
07-2 217 31.1
07-9 217 31.1
07-23 219.5
10-20 219.4
10-29 218.8
skipped a week
11/12 220.4
11/19 220.0
12/04 220.0
12/11 218.2
12/24 219.6
12/31 219.6
01/21 218.8
02/25 219.0
03/04 219.6
04/01 217.0
04/08 216.4
04/15 214.8
04/23 216.4
04/30 216.4
05/27 216.6

Can't believe its been a month since I posted. I like the directions people are going with short term goals.

Short term goal #1 215
Short term goal #2 210

I wanted to wait until someone dragged it out of me. :whistle:
OK, OK...I'll confess.:LOL:
Our pre-marriage ceremony honeymoon...note we're doing all this in reverse order.
12 day Grand Mediterranean, balcony room, excursions in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco.
It took us over a year to save up for it, especially when gas was $4 per gallon last year. :nonono:

Ahhhh, that sounds divine! Looking forward to hearing about it after your return. :)

Seems like I have been operating under out of date advice and 1200 calories is too low for my height. Thanks to SG, I have been directed to a website that has shown I need to increase my intake.

So I'm going to start consuming more calories (which isn't actually that much of a hardship) and hopefully that combined with my workouts will see a change over the next month.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work for you! BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if you gain a few pounds (egads!) in the first week or two, if the problem really is a lowered metabolism. I would think it would take a little while for the metabolism to change. Of course I'm not a dietician, but that's what I've read.

I do know that I lost weight on 1400 cals (no carbs at dinner), combined with working out hard 4-5 days a week (cardio only). Here is how it went for me last spring:

1/19/2008 133
1/26/2008 131
2/2/2008 130
2/9/2008 130
2/16/2008 129
2/23/2008 127
3/1/2008 125

So, I lost 8# in 6 wks. 1-2# a week. I hope to repeat that scenario now! The main difference is I now have more muscle mass than in 2008, and I will be doing cardio 2-3 days/wk and strength training 2-3 days per wk.

Originally Posted by DangerMouse

DM, it is so frustrating to work out, diet and still not seeing the scale go down! Know you're going through stress right now,which doesn't do one's metabolism any good.

I'm a little taller than you (5 feet 7.5 inches) and become faint and rubber-legged when I eat less than 1700 calories per day. I need that much to get through daily activities, including hour-long workout (cardio and weight machines, or else a 3-mile walk). Eating less than 1700, also caused me to wake up hungry and eat snacks in the middle of the night. That did not help my weight loss!

What worked for me was changing the composition of what I ate. I still ate 1700-1800 calories per day, but ruthlessly cut out anything processed except my daily breakfast of whole-wheat bagel, spread with peanut butter, whose convenience (can be taken to work) outweighed its processed-ness. Everything else was either unprocessed (fruit, vegetables, oatmeal, chicken, potatoes, scrambled eggs) or homemade (whole-wheat bread). I ate nothing that had added sugar, very little cheese, and drank 1 glass of wine per week (no other alcohol). A little olive oil for sauteeing. No butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, or bottled salad dressing, since I don't like them and rarely touch them at any time. At home, I ate a good bit of air-popped, unbuttered popcorn (with a little salt), which was satisfying without adding many calories. I like to eat a little Swiss cheese with the popcorn.

This was a hard regimen to stick to, for the 2 months it took me to shed 5.5 pounds. However, I didn't feel hungry or weak and the weight slowly came off. Maybe there is something from my experience that could help you?

more on metabolic rate

I've been reading a bit, and found the following statistic:

"Starting around age 30, our resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories our bodies burn at rest in a 24-hour period) declines by about two to three percent per decade."

I believe the main reason for this is due to our loss of muscle mass as we age.

I also found this quote which is very interesting:

"Calorie restrictive diets that don´t supply enough energy to maintain proper body function don´t supply sufficient energy to the muscles to sustain them. As a result the muscles begin to breakdown. Because muscle is heavier than fat, the dieter is often delighted with the rapid weight loss but unaware that the resultant drop in metabolism will more than likely cause them to put on more weight than ever."

This gives me even more motivation to be sure to keep up with the strength training aspect of my exercise program!

I've been reading a bit, and found the following statistic:

"Starting around age 30, our resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories our bodies burn at rest in a 24-hour period) declines by about two to three percent per decade."

I believe the main reason for this is due to our loss of muscle mass as we age.

I also found this quote which is very interesting:

"Calorie restrictive diets that don´t supply enough energy to maintain proper body function don´t supply sufficient energy to the muscles to sustain them. As a result the muscles begin to breakdown. Because muscle is heavier than fat, the dieter is often delighted with the rapid weight loss but unaware that the resultant drop in metabolism will more than likely cause them to put on more weight than ever."

This gives me even more motivation to be sure to keep up with the strength training aspect of my exercise program!

Good info and more motivation for myself to also keep up the weight training :)

Short term target

It has now been at least 3 weeks that I have been >= 180lbs and several months since I have been <=175lbs, PLUS, this last few weeks my bp has been elevated into the pre-hypertension range so I have decided that I'll try and ramp up the aerobics to both help shed 5 pounds and get the bp back to normal.

Since moving back here 17 months ago there is no doubt that the amount of exercise I do has dropped significantly.

On Monday I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes and tried running for a minute in every 5 and at the end of 30 minutes I was kn*ckered and had managed a distance of 2.5 miles.

So my target is to do this 2 or 3 times per week - if the joints can take it - and work up to 3 miles in 30 minutes.

On Thursday I managed 2.6 miles and today (Sunday) I made 2.8 miles :)

Today I also decided to wear my heart monitor to save having to grasp the handles every time I wanted to see my heart rate (I don't want to overdo things!). Turns out my heart monitor actually gets received by the treadmill which is great since at the end of the 30 minutes I get a summary with peak rate (197), average rate (132) etc. The 197 shocked me as I thought I was careful and stopped running every time I hit 170, so I'm not sure I believe that particular figure.

I thought I'd use this thread to post my exercise and bp targets and progress as well as my weight target.

New short term target is to be running 3 miles in a 30 minute session and to lose 5lbs by end of June to get to 175.

Since moving back here 17 months ago there is no doubt that the amount of exercise I do has dropped significantly.

Alan, what's different since you moved here? (And, remind me where you moved from? Just curious. :))

On Monday I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes and tried running for a minute in every 5 and at the end of 30 minutes I was kn*ckered and had managed a distance of 2.5 miles.

So my target is to do this 2 or 3 times per week - if the joints can take it - and work up to 3 miles in 30 minutes.

On Thursday I managed 2.6 miles and today (Sunday) I made 2.8 miles :)

Keep up the good work! :greetings10:

Today I also decided to wear my heart monitor to save having to grasp the handles every time I wanted to see my heart rate (I don't want to overdo things!). Turns out my heart monitor actually gets received by the treadmill which is great since at the end of the 30 minutes I get a summary with peak rate (197), average rate (132) etc. The 197 shocked me as I thought I was careful and stopped running every time I hit 170, so I'm not sure I believe that particular figure.

Yeah, the 197 sure does seem like an outlier. I've had my heart monitor give me quirky #'s (once in the 200's, and I felt fine)...so I figured that unless I saw it up high consistently I wouldn't stress over it. What's your target heart range? 170 seems high, too.

Alan, what's different since you moved here? (And, remind me where you moved from? Just curious. :))

January 2007 I moved from The Woodlands, just north of Houston and the circumstances there were as follows:

I was 10 minutes from work so used to get up at 6:15 and work 'til 4. Then I would go directly to the Y to do a 60 minute workout class Tuesday and Thursday and weight training Monday and Wednesday.

At weekends I had a regular tennis partner that was well matched to me so it was a very vigorous 90 minute workout.

The Woodlands also has over 150 miles of bike trails so we used to do a lot of cycling at weekends as well ( 15 - 30 miles is a typical ride for us).

Here in Baton Rouge I have a 30 -40 minutes drive to/from work so I get up at 5:15 and normally get home at 4:45 but for the last 8 months I've been working 10 hour days, getting home at 6 because of a big project which is now coming to an end so I'm back to getting in at 4:45.

Initially I signed up for the Y but the locations and high traffic just had me worn out getting there so I dropped it after 4 months.

Cycling is a dangerous sport here so we usually only ride early Sunday mornings and only do about 12 - 15 miles. (no shoulders on the roads and drivers just don't think 'bike' as there are so few cyclists around).

I play tennis most Saturdays with DW but it just is not the same intensity even though I play left-handed. (We do have some good games and rallies, and I thoroughly enjoy it).

January 2007 I moved from The Woodlands, just north of Houston and the circumstances there were as follows:

I was 10 minutes from work so used to get up at 6:15 and work 'til 4. Then I would go directly to the Y to do a 60 minute workout class Tuesday and Thursday and weight training Monday and Wednesday.

Here in Baton Rouge I have a 30 -40 minutes drive to/from work so I get up at 5:15 and normally get home at 4:45 but for the last 8 months I've been working 10 hour days, getting home at 6 because of a big project which is now coming to an end so I'm back to getting in at 4:45.

That's rough. 10 hour days really doesn't leave any time for exercise. :( I have a situation like your prior one - work is just 5 minutes away from home, and I go straight from work to the gym (10 minutes away). So I work until around 4:30 or 5, I'm at the gym by 5:30 and home by 7 p.m. On the days I end up working later than 5:30 I totally lose all motivation and end up going home instead of working out. I am glad to hear your work is getting less crazy!

My brother works 1.25 hrs from work...he has no time for anything but sleep, work, eat. I worry about him. He is so not the picture of health, but given his background he is stuck in this job indefinitely.

W*rk definitely is an impediment to your health! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom