It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bummer. From my research, I'd have thought it would work and be easy to follow. DW and I have been following it, eating more, and not losing any weight. Haven't had any bread, rice or potatoes for two months, and don't miss them.

What do you mean by "Can't blame the glycemic load thingie--have to follow something for it to work!"

I meant I planned to follow it, did a couple of days w/very low carbs (only those found in fruit and non-starchy veggies), saw a couple of pounds fall off, and then eased up on it. The commitment to it on my part wasn't there.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it, as my efforts were short-lived.

Well, I am back on the train after being out of commission for about 9 months. I had shoulder problems and backslid a lot not being able to do my workouts, I end up eating horribly. I got my surgeries in June and August and am starting back up again, slowly.

Our boot camp just started a 3 month fitness challenge, winner gets a month free, so I figured that would help me jump start eating right again. Okay, so I'm on Day 3 of eating good food.

Starting weight: 133, but I think I was pretty dehydrated, so when my hydration level catches up, that might actually add a couple of pounds.
Goal weight: probably 120 or so, not really numbers focused, just looking for a good weight for being active.

In all my time off I have accumulated quite a home gym setup off of Craigslist, I'll have to post a pic when I get it all set up the way I want.

I have been looking in on this thread periodically, good job to everybody still here sticking with it.

Well, I am back on the train after being out of commission for about 9 months. I had shoulder problems and backslid a lot not being able to do my workouts, I end up eating horribly. I got my surgeries in June and August and am starting back up again, slowly.

Our boot camp just started a 3 month fitness challenge, winner gets a month free, so I figured that would help me jump start eating right again. Okay, so I'm on Day 3 of eating good food.

Starting weight: 133, but I think I was pretty dehydrated, so when my hydration level catches up, that might actually add a couple of pounds.
Goal weight: probably 120 or so, not really numbers focused, just looking for a good weight for being active.

In all my time off I have accumulated quite a home gym setup off of Craigslist, I'll have to post a pic when I get it all set up the way I want.

I have been looking in on this thread periodically, good job to everybody still here sticking with it.

Welcome igsoy! May I ask how tall you are? I am 5'4 (well, maybe 5' 3 1/2?) and started out at your weight and ended up at/near the same goal weight.

Thanks for the welcome. I am just 5 foot tall, but pretty muscular from all my activities (before I got hurt I could deadlift 230, did 100 pullups in a workout once) Have managed to not lose much muscle while I've laid off, just added fat on top of it, haha.

Thanks for the welcome. I am just 5 foot tall, but pretty muscular from all my activities (before I got hurt I could deadlift 230, did 100 pullups in a workout once) Have managed to not lose much muscle while I've laid off, just added fat on top of it, haha.

Wow, I can't imagine lifting that much!

Best wishes with your attack on the fat! :)

That's a bummer. From my research, I'd have thought it would work and be easy to follow. DW and I have been following it, eating more, and not losing any weight. Haven't had any bread, rice or potatoes for two months, and don't miss them.

Only a skinny person would say this. :flowers:

If you're an eater (like me), cutting out all white flour items, white potatoes, white rice, sugar, and everything made with them is VERY tough. It's amazing how ubiquitous these ingedients are. I've been doing it (with varying degrees of sucess) for about 5 years due to managing my diabetes without medications. It's not as hard now that we aren't eating out 5-8 times/week. And it tends to be easier during the fresh veggie season, and gets harder in the winter. But if they would make an exception for pizza and ice cream I'd have it locked. :D

We're getting our new treadmill tomorrow. We've been walking since early summer, but no significant weight change for me. When we walk we're pretty much always together, and we walk at DW's speed which is a pleasant stroll for me, but far from a workout. I'm planning to hit the treadmill hard (but below injury level), work up a decent sweat, and go for 45 mins to an hour maybe 5 days/week. Hopefully I'll have something majorly positive to report by New Years.
icon_pray.gif

DateWeightFat%
1/23/08196.817.1%
7/30/08191.816.0%
11/12/08195.217.1%
12/03/08198.217.8%
1/07/09200.617.9%
2/04199.418.4%
3/04201.817.7%
4/01198.217.3%
5/06197.416.7%
6/03200.217.6%
7/01198.417.7%
8/05195.217.0%
9/02195.217.2%
9/09196.218.1%
9/16193.817.5%
9/23194.617.0%
9/30193.417.3%
10/07194.216.9%
10/14Vacation
10/21198.617.4%
Goal190.015.3%
Highest260May 2001
Lowest190June 2007

Post-vacation jump in weight. Entirely expected. Brownies, ice cream, candy, Mexican, Chinese, Sushi (okay, that one isn't entirely unhealthy), airport food, etc. I was over 200 on Monday, so at least I dropped some water weight since then. I was 2 pounds lighter today than yesterday, but I think that's probably all that will come off easily.

Hard to get back in the swing of things after not having exercised with my regular routine for 9 days in a row. And after flying 3000 miles last Friday, training martial arts for 4 hours later in the day Friday, another 6 hours on Saturday, then flying 3000 miles back on Sunday my body wasn't that interested in working out earlier this week.

Was looking for a place to drop this - it really would work best with the fire ants & scorpions list - but maybe REWahoo will find it here...

Beauty website: El Paso No. 1 for ugly men - El Paso Times

"The city also suffers from a notably high rate of obesity, 32 percent are in below average health and 30 percent do not exercise regularly, which is probably why there are so few gyms in town. There is such a thing as too much Tex-Mex."

No offense... (such a funny phrase)

What do you mean by "Can't blame the glycemic load thingie--have to follow something for it to work!"

For two weeks now I have not eaten any bread, rice or potatoes or refined sugar like candy or ice cream. I am doing OK with that but I find that I miss bread a lot and chocolate. I love bread. I am not a big meat fan. I am finding that I like the meat well enough but it isn't bread. :) The diet is much pricier than my old way of eating but I can live with that. I will not buy commercial chicken because of the way the chicken are treated. So I have to buy the expensive co-op chicken. I have started to eat beef after not eating it for many years. I find that I like it better than chicken. Fish is fine, but not thrilling. Again, it isn't bread. Part of the problem is that I don't eat commercial bread, only home made and I tell you it was damn good bread. Slather it with butter. Or pesto. Heaven. OK, Martha, shut up now.

It takes a few months to develope a habit so I might simply get into the habit of replacing protein with carbs but I am not finding that it is easy.

Two weeks, 1.5 pounds lost.

It takes a few months to develop a habit so I might simply get into the habit of replacing protein with carbs but I am not finding that it is easy.

Was reading about an Australian escaped prisoner/cannibal - article claimed that since all the escapers had to eat was meat, no carbs, they could get full but were always hungry. Eating more and more of their fellows filled but did not satisfy them. Claimed that carbs satisfy hunger. My gal did a very low carb diet for some months a few years ago - it really did take the weight off, but she was not a real happy girl, and her breath - whew... she claimed it was ketosis(?) - her body using it's own resources for fuel.

The diet we did which led to my husband and myself losing 10-15# each was modified a lo-carb/hi-protein diet - not one of the severe lo-carb ones. We did not have any carbs at dinner for a long time. We now occasionally have carbs at dinner but in limited amounts. It was tough for me to adjust at first, but now I'm fine with it. Especially since I eat a small bowl of icecream every night...guess that blows the no-carbs at night plan, LOL! So far, however, we seem to be maintaining.

I feel much fuller on a high protein diet than I ever expected. I don't think I was eating enough protein before.

BTW, I was a bread/pasta/carb addict prior to this, so one can adjust!

For two weeks now I have not eaten any bread, rice or potatoes or refined sugar like candy or ice cream.

Last time I did that I noticed how much more clear headed I felt without any sugar/high glycemic carbs in my system. Curious if you are noticing the same effect?

Last time I did that I noticed how much more clear headed I felt without any sugar/high glycemic carbs in my system. Curious if you are noticing the same effect?

No.

Twenty five or so years ago I quit smoking. People would say how much better food would taste and the air would smell, etc. I never noticed a difference. Sometimes I think that I have an anti-placebo effect going. :)

Was reading about an Australian escaped prisoner/cannibal - article claimed that since all the escapers had to eat was meat, no carbs, they could get full but were always hungry. Eating more and more of their fellows filled but did not satisfy them. Claimed that carbs satisfy hunger. My gal did a very low carb diet for some months a few years ago - it really did take the weight off, but she was not a real happy girl, and her breath - whew... she claimed it was ketosis(?) - her body using it's own resources for fuel.

In Thompson's Glycemic-Load Diet book he says part of that issue is that we do like sweets and there may be a need to satisfy that urge. So after you eat a meal, have a piece of fruit or a small handful of chocolate chips. I have been eating a clementine after I eat and I do find that is helping with the feeling of wanting something more. I am afraid to try chocolate because I like it too much.

In Thompson's Glycemic-Load Diet book he says part of that issue is that we do like sweets and there may be a need to satisfy that urge. So after you eat a meal, have a piece of fruit or a small handful of chocolate chips. I have been eating a clementine after I eat and I do find that is helping with the feeling of wanting something more. I am afraid to try chocolate because I like it too much.

I'd say if you are eating very lean meat like chicken breast and turkey, you may not be getting enough fat in your meal. Fat is satiating and slows digestion of the carbs you do eat, so you would feel less hungry if you added a tablespoon of nut butter, 1/4 avocado, or other good fat of your choice.

The advice to keep away from fat in your diet is given a little too much weight, so to speak, IMO. As long as you are exercising effectively, even saturated fat is not a terrible thing.

Remember the "Supersize Me" movie about how awful McDonalds food is for your health? several entities have done contrasting experiments where they actually lost weight eating only burgers and fries or pizza for a month.
McDonald's 30-day Diet
University Communications | Media Relations :: Eastern Illinois University
The all-pizza diet: The American Paradox?

I'd say if you are eating very lean meat like chicken breast and turkey, you may not be getting enough fat in your meal. Fat is satiating and slows digestion of the carbs you do eat, so you would feel less hungry if you added a tablespoon of nut butter, 1/4 avocado, or other good fat of your choice.

The advice to keep away from fat in your diet is given a little too much weight, so to speak, IMO. As long as you are exercising effectively, even saturated fat is not a terrible thing.

Remember the "Supersize Me" movie about how awful McDonalds food is for your health? several entities have done contrasting experiments where they actually lost weight eating only burgers and fries or pizza for a month.
McDonald's 30-day Diet
University Communications | Media Relations :: Eastern Illinois University
The all-pizza diet: The American Paradox?

I have been eating fat, which is strange to me. But maybe not enough. At least I love avocados. :) It isn't so much hunger that is the problem, it is desire.

Last edited:
Aaah, I'm such a dilettante. But trying to get more serious, since I was given a "prescription" for exercise and weight loss by my doc today (bad back, and leg veins beginning to act up). She brought it up gently but directly but damn, I'm annoyed it had to be brought up at all!

Checking out Weight Watchers tomorrow -- anyone had success or experience with the Momentum program?

Checking out Weight Watchers tomorrow -- anyone had success or experience with the Momentum program?

The Momentum program works, if you follow it faithfully. It is very similar to prior Weight Watchers programs. As with all WW programs, the hard part is consistently eating and exercising as the program dictates and accepting this as a lifestyle change.

I started back to Weight Watchers meetings last Thursday, Urchina, and I know I will have a nice loss to report here this Thursday (well, nice for me). If you follow the program you will definitely get results. If you want to go to a meeting (vs. online), I think you don't have to pay the $12/week or whatever for the first one.

Keeping the focus long term has been a challenge for me. This time I also prepaid a year for a gym near my house so I am focusing on what the results will be in a year.

The Momentum program works, if you follow it faithfully. It is very similar to prior Weight Watchers programs. As with all WW programs, the hard part is consistently eating and exercising as the program dictates and accepting this as a lifestyle change.

ditto. I did WW in 2002, lost 40lb, kept going during 2003 and 1st half of 2004 and then "solo" ever since and have kept off the weight ever since.

The nice thing was that you agreed a target weight with the WW group leader and I achieved that 6 weeks in and kept to it for a set number of weeks after that (I forget how many - 8?). Once you complete that maintenance you get a free lifetime membership for as long as you stay below your target, so total fees were 2 eight week sessions and my megacorp paid 50%.

As W2R says, the hard part is consistency and realizing that the change in eating habits is FOREVER.

week | date | D lbs | D lbs total
1 | Sep 30 | - 3.0 | - 3.0
2 | Oct 07 | - 1.2 | - 4.2
3 | Oct 14 | - 4.2 | - 8.4
4 | Oct 21 | +2.2 | - 6.2
5 | Oct 28 | +1.0 | - 5.2

Gained a pound during the festivities surrounding my daughter's wedding. Frankly, I am surprised it wasn't more - - so much rich food and very little self control during this intensely joyful weekend of celebrations.

we don't have a weigh in till next week but I have been eating as planned all week. Did have a weird dream last night that I bought some Starburst candy?!!! and, yes, I have been passing up FREE food and treats every night at work, that usually requires some mental kung fu to pass up anything that's free, but I am not getting the urge to eat any junk outside of that dream, haha.

I am still dehydrated despite drinking a gallon of water every day, it's pretty hard to drink much more than that!!! That's what I get for living in an arid climate.

I keep seeing this "It's Wednesday weigh ins!" every single week and I was afraid to step in for fear of been eaten alive. I finally decided to take a peek and after reading a couple pages I've decided to stick around in hope some of it will rub off on me. Is this the time to spill my guts and be honest about where I'm at? If so then here goes. If not than please delete and I can start over again.

I'm male, 53, 5' 11", 230 lbs retired 3 years ago and put on about 40 lbs during those years. I started eating junk food and am no were near as active as I was while employed. I'm hoping to get down to 180 lbs which is where I'm most comfortable, so I guess it's all up to me to cut out the junk food, eat more sensibly and go for walks or be more active. Ya......ya.......ya, if it were that easy I would have done it already.

I like the progress charts that some have used but let me ask what the average weight loss weekly goal is for most in my category?

Ok, let me have it!!!!

I'm male, 53, 5' 11", 230 lbs retired 3 years ago and put on about 40 lbs during those years. I started eating junk food and am no were near as active as I was while employed. I'm hoping to get down to 180 lbs which is where I'm most comfortable, so I guess it's all up to me to cut out the junk food, eat more sensibly and go for walks or be more active. Ya......ya.......ya, if it were that easy I would have done it already.

I like the progress charts that some have used but let me ask what the average weight loss weekly goal is for most in my category?

Hey, My Dream. I'm pretty much in the same range as you. I'm not posting in this thread regularly right now, since it was frustrating me to chronicle my yoyoing lack of progress. But I still follow it and use it to inspire myself. I'm getting my treadmill delivered in a couple of hours, and hope I'll use it for more than a clothes rack. The weather is turning a bit cold and rainy to continue walking outside.

I would suggest a goal of 1 lb/week. If you actually start exercising and watching your diet you'll probably make faster progress right at first, but plateaus happen, so if you have an achievable long term goal you'll be better off. It takes a decrease of 3500 calories/week (diet and exercise combined) to lose a pound. Keep in mind that you didn't put all that weight on in a couple of months. And, defying the laws of logic, it takes longer to lose it than to put it on, even if you completely stop the bad behavior. :mad:

Good luck. I'll be watching you. :greetings10::LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom