I've got my new hip and a room with a great view

A new hip? Couldn't you find a used one? I'm sure they're much cheaper!

Wish you well in your rehab.

A new hip? Couldn't you find a used one? I'm sure they're much cheaper!

Just for grins I looked on Ebay but didn't see any. Lots of gimmicks and geegaws for people who had a hip replacement though.

Just checking in....

A big HI to everyone here! I'm on day 11 of recovery and coming along. I'm feeling antsy to be advancing faster, tired of still being dependent and needy but accepting that I need to take this slow and do it right.

I've had RN visits and PT visits and both say I'm progressing well. PT taught me how to navigate the move over the threshold and half step down to the deck so I've been enjoying my days outside with all the trees and bird activity.

Between DH and I, we've mastered showering in the tub and hair washing so I'm feeling nicely human. Last week DH seemed a bit overwhelmed with everything I needed, the last few days he's gotten out a few times and I'm a lot less needy.

Yesterday was our son's 30th birthday. My sister and a friend came for a visit while DH and both sons went out for lunch. I wasn't ready for going out to eat so it was nice that someone was here with me. While I was sorry I couldn't do big birthday stuff, this is the son who had his gallbladder surgery on my birthday in Feb. so no guilt either way.

Today was my first day without the pain meds. I had been going much longer than 4 hours for the pain meds and they really didn't have a big effect so I thought I'd see what it was like without them. I think I'll be fine.

In other news, we live just 9 miles from some guy named Lebron. People seem to be interested in his job status.

Update

I saw the surgeon today for my 3 week follow up. Everything is progressing as expected, he said I'm doing just fine and ready for a cane. I still have the restrictions of no bending beyond 90 degrees, which limits so many things, but I can start short walks with the cane, I can try driving and start to resume some normal things. The PT came in the afternoon and taught me how to use the cane. We practiced going in and out the kitchen door to the garage, which I could not do with the walker.

I'm feeling so much better than 3 weeks ago! That first week was pretty intense. I have practically no pain, just occasional soreness or slight discomfort at the incision. My biggest problem is that I've been having trouble sleeping. I wake up and can't get back to sleep. I'm hoping that now that I'm able to change positions, maybe I can sleep better. I tried Benadryl a couple of nights and sometimes it worked, then I tried a hot toddy (shot of whiskey, honey, lemon and hot water) which worked for a few nights, but not last night. I'm hoping that a couple of short walks with the cane will help me sleep through the night.

DH has been OUTSTANDING!!!! He has been taking very good care of me, cooking decent meals and serving them with style. He's been very patient and accommodating and so helpful. He's really taking those "in sickness and in health" vows seriously. I'm so appreciative.

I had x-ray's today so I got to see my glorious new implant. I took a picture with my iPad so I could show my sons. I also got a Rx for a handicapped parking pass hangar from the License bureau and an implant ID card to get through metal detectors.

So I've turned a corner and on my way. I go back to the surgeon in 4 weeks for another follow up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
So glad to hear things working out well for you.

And I know too how great it is to have a spouse who will help when things are not going so well for you. DW did that for me when I'd had some surgery that was a new experience in pain. And we weren't even married yet....

Great to hear you are doing so well.
Hope all keeps going smoothly.

That's excellent news.

And sounds like DH is a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom