I've got my new hip and a room with a great view

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had my surgery yesterday. Outside of a few delays, it all went as planned. The good news is that my gluteus medius was not detached and was in better shape than expected. I had a spinal for anesthesia and then sedation by IV, so no breathing tube.

My room is on the 8th floor and overlooks a valley and on the other side is the city of Akron, OH. From my bed I see a lot of open sky, hawks soaring in circles and a few buildings that I recognize. Last night I saw some non-official fireworks and later, lightning during a storm.

I've been using a bedside commode, which I wouldn't bother mentioning except that the commode has a better view out that window! That view is of a bridge crossing the valley and a better look at the city.

I'm not sure if I'm so impressed with the view because of the morphine or because I'm relieved that I made it to this point.

Just saw the physical therapist and I've moved to a chair where I'm quite comfy. Nice drugs.

Discharge is planned for Friday, July 4, but tomorrow (Thursday, July 3rd) has been mentioned if I reach some goals.

ast night I saw some non-official fireworks and later, lightning during a storm.

I've been using a bedside commode, which I wouldn't bother mentioning except that the commode has a better view out that window! That view is of a bridge crossing the valley and a better look at the city.

I'm not sure if I'm so impressed with the view because of the morphine or because I'm relieved that I made it to this point.

Just saw the physical therapist and I've moved to a chair where I'm quite comfy. Nice drugs.
:LOL:

I think you're going to enjoy reading your post again in a few days... :D

Glad to hear all is going well.

Sue, thanks for checking in! I am SO happy and relieved to hear that your surgery went well and that you are happily recovering. Enjoy the view and the nice drugs. :D

Glad your surgery went well.

And remember that the more effort you put into your rehab routine, the better off you will be in the long run. Good luck!

Congratulations. Yes your PT is your new best friend. Lots of hard work, but it does pay off.

Sue,
Great news. All I've heard indicates the PT is the key to getting a good pain-free range of motion that will last the rest of your life. Congrats on the successful surgery and the new parts.

Glad your surgery went well, now time for the hard part (PT).

I'm so glad this went well for you. You will feel so much better very soon.

Ha

I'll have what she's having....:cool:

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery Sue......:flowers:

Hi Sue:

Glad to hear the procedure went well and welcome to the "new hip" crowd! ( a few of us here). I've had mine for 3 + years and all is good.:dance:

Glad to hear all went well for you. And that you don't have a room with a view of the parking lot or a brick wall.

Glad to hear that all went well. Good luck with the PT.

So glad to hear it was a success....and a room view is great!

Great news!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
And +1 on the PT. I have not had a new hip (yet), but have had another ortho procedure. Some of the PT may seem hard, and even dumb at times, but stick with it. Don't push too hard but follow the plan. It really does mean a lot in getting the best possible long term results.

Happy to hear your new hip surgery went well. Best wishes for a quick recovery and getting back to all the things you enjoy most.

Sue J,

So happy to hear it is going to great for you - and know you will enjoy the above posts--those wiseguys are funny. Keep us updated on your progress!

I had a knee replacement several years ago and know the early drugs are grand.

I came home yesterday afternoon. It's good to be home but things don't work as well as in the hospital, of course. The la-z-boy chair that I thought was similar to the one in the hospital is too low and rocks forward, so DH is looking into how we can modify it so that I can use it. It felt comfy when I got in it, it was just awful to get out of and I don't want to bend wrong or have to be lifted out if it. So I'm using my rolling office chair. It has armrests and is a good height for what I need.

Twice I've had episodes of starting to fade away or detach and needing to lay down, once in the hospital and last night at the dinner table at home. So I'm being careful about exertion and activity. DH is very helpful and doing his best. I knew the first few days at home would be the toughest, so I'm taking it all slow and easy.

My sister and BIL are coming and bringing lunch and I've promised DH that I would not try to be hostess-like and just let others do everything.

So far, so good. My goal today is to wash up a little and get dressed and enjoy my visitors. I'm keeping up with the pain meds, the respiratory tool thingy, the leg circulation exercises and enjoying the view from HOME.

So glad that you are home already, and good for you for not trying to be the hostess. Also I would recommend that if/when you get tired, KICK THEM OUT. They are probably expecting that anyway; it's kind of an imposition to visit someone this soon after hip surgery IMO.

(In other words, if it was me I'd send them home before they even crossed the threshold, but I know you have a kinder disposition than I do).

Glad you are back home Sue. Things always get better at home, and more quickly. Keep up with the PT. Also, if you are taking medication to minimize blood clots, stay with that as it is very important.

When I had my hip replaced, they wouldn't send me home unless I climbed two flights of stairs without assistance in the hospital . I was home the third day after surgery and walking around the neighborhood (gingerly, though). I guess after ten days, or so, I had the stitches removed and was OK to drive.

If you had the "anterior procedure" like I did, you should be back in the groove pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom